Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering one of these rooftop tents:

http://www.cartopcamper.com

Anyone have any experience? I'm thinking that driving weight isn't an issue, but even with the proper crossbars, will the rails support the several hundred pounds of 2-3 sleeping people?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a concern with the weight of the tent on the van's roof. A 2-man weighs 110 pounds. With 2 people in it, you're talking at least 350lbs. Is that doable? Not to mention the damage it may cause on your roof panel. No thanks.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
As they say, "ROFLMAO!"

What's the point of putting a tent on top of a vehicle? Why not just use a regular tent on the ground?

Not to mention, what if you get up in the middle of the night and fall off when you get out of the tent?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would not do this at all. If I recall there is a max load for the roof rails of about 65kg (or 150lb). Doing a roof top tent could damage the roof. I wouldn't even think about it for my ody.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love the idea of a roof top tent!

It would be great at the beach too. (in texas you can drive on most beaches and it would be kind of like a beach house:)

We camp a couple of times a year. This is the tent my son and I camp in:

He got as a birthday present from hos Aunt and Uncle. I think they purchased at REI.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Roof should be strong enough. Just make sure that the kit has a floor on it to spread the weight around to keep scratches and bumps from happening to the body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the Napier 8300 tent from autoanything.com. It works really great on the Ody. You can sleep in the back of the Ody or in the tent itself. Very roomy and quick to setup.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take pics on our last camping trip with the tent. A lot of folks stopped as they were driving by just to look at it. :)

Skip

·
Registered
389 Posts
skipwill said:
I bought the Napier 8300 tent from autoanything.com. It works really great on the Ody. You can sleep in the back of the Ody or in the tent itself. Very roomy and quick to setup.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take pics on our last camping trip with the tent. A lot of folks stopped as they were driving by just to look at it. :)

Skip

www.ShopFileR.com
Why the heck did you post that link? Are you a spammer pretending to be a legit poster?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Whoa,

Nope, I am not a spammer. Ive been a member here for a while, just haven't posted. I do have an '08 Ody and I do have and use the tent :).
As for the link, sorry....just force of habit from another forum. It has been removed and wont appear again. You may want to edit your post to remove it there as well.

Skip

·
Registered
389 Posts
skipwill said:
Hey Whoa,

Nope, I am not a spammer. Ive been a member here for a while, just haven't posted. I do have an '08 Ody and I do have and use the tent :).
As for the link, sorry....just force of habit from another forum. It has been removed and wont appear again. You may want to edit your post to remove it there as well.

Skip
Ok, looking forward to your contribution to this forum. Welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finally got around to taking a pic with the tent attached to my Ody. I removed the middle seats and have a double size air mattress with a sleeping bag. Plenty of room. It was a really nice weekend, so I left the rain fly off.

Ody with tent attached

Skip

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
skip, you are definitely a "legit lurker"! :cool: Thanks for posting that pic. I'd always wondered what one of these look like attached to Senor Ody.

OF

·
Registered
75 Posts
skipwill, that looks very interesting. my concern is even with the car off, there might still be some exhaust fume.. wouldn't that get into the tent? also, even though it's covered to the floor, but underneath the car, there's still open space where critters can still get in right? or is the section from the rear bumper to the ground sealed off by the tent?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts