Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid questions i'm sure (noob here)..

I would like to start doing my own rotations on my tires...

Do you guys that rotate tires yourself bring the front left to the back right and vise versa for right side?

If so how do you jack up the front left of the car and the back right? Wouldn't this be kinda unsafe? The car would be completely on jacks right?

Also on the tire pressure sensors.. how the heck does the car know where the sensor is? (right back, front left... ect?) Is there multiple recievers?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I usually go front to back, back to front on the same side of the van

I have 2 floor jacks and jack up each side of the van so I can do this.

Otherwise, you will need to use the spare temporarily as a placeholder while you shuffle tires. I am too lazy for this :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I follow a "forward cross" pattern:
Rear tires to front, but on opposite side of the vehicle. Front tires straight back to the rear on the same side of the vehicle.

I use two jack stands and a hydraulic jack. Break the lug nuts loose with the vehicle on the ground. Raise the front, place it on jack stands, then raise the rear with the jack.

I don't ever go under the car with it supported only by the hydraulic jack.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I do both, except with directional tires (Traction T/A's on my Accord).

Xcrossing the tires definitly gives you the most even 4 tire wear over time.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I do mine like firemann1 as far as placementr, which is what my manual calls for, but I use the spare in this process and just jack up one corner at a time. To me this is the safest way, and although it is a little more work, you might need to pull out the spare to check the pressure anyway.

So, if you are considering this option, just put the spare on the right front (RF), move RF tire to RR, then RR to LF, then LF to LR, then LR to RF, then put the spare back, and you are done. Also, if you do not have an impact wrench, you can speed up the process by getting a socket attachment for your cordless drill to quickly remove and replace the lug nuts. Of course, a wrench, not the drill, must be used to tighten the lug nuts to the proper setting. Tom

·
Registered
221 Posts
do you guys doing your own rotations use a torque wrench?

i bought one from sears and got a socket that fits the lugs, too.

i haven't rotated them myself but have used the torque wrench to retorque the nuts when i had to install/uninstall my tires when installing my mud flaps.

joel

·
Registered
247 Posts
I always use a torque wrench on the lug nuts. Seems that many Honda's are 80 ft lbs.

Using a torque wrench helps to prevent warping the rotor.

For ease and speed of removing and turning on the lug nuts, I use a metric speed wrench (a cross-shaped wrench that easily and quickly spins the lugs nuts off or on).

Honda lug nuts are commonly 19mm. I sprayed red paint on the 19mm socket end of my speed wrench so I can select the 19mm end of the wrench easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts