Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my '99 EX in for major service. They advised replacing front pads (27k miles) and resurfacing rotors because of "glazing." Because kids were screaming, dogs barking, etc. I said yeah go ahead without a full cross examination. Cost me $99 for resurfacing them. Is it necessary to resurface after "glazing?" Is $99 a "fair" price? I did a little research and now believe that any noise owing to a misatch between un-resurfaced rotors and new pads would have worked itself out in a week or so. Or will failure to resurface result in poorer braking?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I used to have rotors turned (resurfaced) with every brake job, I do them myself. However, I had a lot of problems with rotors warping on my Civic until I had them turned on the car.

Now, unless there is a major issue with the rotor, I just put new pads on. This has worked with several cars, including high performance and mini vans.

You probably did not do any harm, but probably did not need the resurfacing.
(By the way, I pay $8 per rotor when I need them turned after I have them off the car.)

·
Registered
596 Posts
If a rotor is straight, I would not have it turned. The "glazing" would be on the friction material, not the rotor and whenever you turn a rotor, you remove some of its mass and it is more prone to warpage. If I had warped rotors, I would not even bother to have them turned, since (and I have experienced this myself) they would just warp again and, sometimes, very soon, given the same operating conditions. Even rotors which have minor grooves in them will be fine, if you give the pads time to adapt (wear in)to the slightly uneven surface. Most shops, however, do not want to do the job without turning, since it leaves room for a later complaint or a window for a legal problem, should an accident happen, even though it may not be brake related, at all.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Ah, but (at least with Hondas) don't forget to have brand new rotors turned--"trued"--on the car as part of the installation.

Fact: unless you do this, you won't be happy with the braking. It'll shudder.

So I wouldn't say *never* have rotors turned.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I never have understood why Honda had so much sensitivity re brake rotors. It makes no sense to have to turn new rotors on the car. I have never heard that it was necessary on any other brand. Do the Hondas have misaligned mounting surfaces, or what? I guess they must have some different drummers in their organization. Since I have my first Honda, I can still say that I never have had to turn rotors when redoing the disc brakes. I installed new Bendix rotors on my DC van and they were dead smooth.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
129 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thulchatt:
I used to have rotors turned (resurfaced) with every brake job, I do them myself. However, I had a lot of problems with rotors warping on my Civic until I had them turned on the car.

Now, unless there is a major issue with the rotor, I just put new pads on. This has worked with several cars, including high performance and mini vans.
</font>
When you "turn" the rotors, you are removing a little bit of the rotor material, thereby limiting their capacity to deal with heat. This makes the rotor a little more sensitive to warpage. This doesn't mean that you should never turn rotors, just that you shouldn't machine them if they don't need to be machined.

Unless your rotors are very noticeably grooved, or you waited until the horrible
screeching sound started before doing the brake job, you may not need to machine the rotors at all, but simply drop in new pads.

When the brakes start emitting that horrible screeching every time you brake, that's a little metal clip on the brake pad that's there to let you know you're about out of pad. That little metal clip can gouge the rotor. This would require machining to remove.

I've never heard of machining brand new rotors. I'd be interested to hear why this is recommended by anyone.

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan - Silver
1990 Mustang LX Coupe - Titanium

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I've never heard of machining brand new rotors. I'd be interested to hear why this is recommended by anyone.</font>
Put new rotors on and don't machine them: get shuddering during braking.

Put new rotors on and true them on the car: no shuddering during braking.

Those were the facts in my case, and my mechanic told me he wasn't surprised when I reported this. He trued them up for me (took off very little material; just enough to get them straight while on the car), and that was that.

Honda has always turned rotors on the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts