Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just purchased an Odyssey LX 08 with 75k miles on it. I noticed the car downshifts sort of rough when coming to a stop. Unlike the other vehicles I drove, where I have never felt such jerks when the tranny does the downshifting as the vehicle slows down. However, I can sometimes feel the downshift, just like when you downshift in a manual car and release the clutch too soon and too quickly.

Does any one have similar experience? Does this mean there is something wrong with the transmission?

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Since its new to you, drain and refill the tranny. Nothing like fresh fluid
Have seen cheaper, non spec'd fluid cause this exact condition in various makes. search the drain, refill procedure.

I'd recommend drain and fill twice then see where your at

Al

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi, thanks for your reply. I have to say the tranny has already been flushed ... and the fluid looks really clean in pinkish red color. any other thoughts? I am just wondering is this a common characteristic for odyssey or not. Please advise. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Failing motor mounts on the engine and pressure switches on the transmission (although I have not read alot about this on the 05+ Odysseys but certainly on the 1999-2004s).

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
I experienced the same downshift issue in a loaner Ody from the dealer. I think it was a fairly new (at the time) 2010 EX, as it did not have many options and no leather seats. I thought to myself, this thing is a POS compared to my 2008 Touring....glad my Ody does not shift like this.

It may be a LX/EX thing, as they share common PCM software.

I would visit the dealer and have them check for any PCM software updates. Maybe there is and the issue will be gone. Haven't seen any TSB on that issue.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Welcome to the world of Honda automatic transmissions fellas. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something you will need to get used to.

Feeling every up and especially downshift is a feature you are going to feel. It's the design.

In regards to doing drain/fills on the trans, there's a ga-ZILLION threads on this.

I always suggest using Valvoline Maxlife ATF as a Z-1 replacement, but use what ever Z-1 spec'd ATF you want.

Joel

·
Registered
176 Posts
hi, thanks for your reply. I have to say the tranny has already been flushed ... and the fluid looks really clean in pinkish red color. any other thoughts? I am just wondering is this a common characteristic for odyssey or not. Please advise. Thanks.
As long as your satisfied a full synthetic fluid was used? , colour seems right. reason is full synthetic spec'd for honda will have the proper friction requirements. any std fluid ( states dex III ) can be used or even a semi synthetic will give harsher up shifts and down shifts compared to a full synthetic fluid, even Dex III with modifier does not compare

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I guess what you are saying is it is perfectly normal as a honda, right? it does not indicate potential issues with the tranny?

Welcome to the world of Honda automatic transmissions fellas. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something you will need to get used to.

Feeling every up and especially downshift is a feature you are going to feel. It's the design.

In regards to doing drain/fills on the trans, there's a ga-ZILLION threads on this.

I always suggest using Valvoline Maxlife ATF as a Z-1 replacement, but use what ever Z-1 spec'd ATF you want.

Joel

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
So, I guess what you are saying is it is perfectly normal as a honda, right? it does not indicate potential issues with the tranny?
Correct.

It's the nature of the beast. Honda AT's are very different from conventional automatics. They use sliding gear sets, like a manual trans as opposed to planetary gear sets used in almost all others.

Joel

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
The downshift I experienced on the dealer loaner was just like what you get from the grade logic control feature when you brake on a downward slope.....engine braking, although I was not on a hill and was on a flat road surface. It didn't seem normal to me and was very annoying, but it was an EX and I have a Touring, so I could not say for certain if the LX/EX was supposed to always do that when coming to a stop or not. It reminded me of a late 80's Honda Accord automatic tranny.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have heard that it is the rear engine mount that will often cause this as well. When you start it up, do you hear a noise that could be misconstrued as a valve needing adjustment?

·
Registered
6 Posts
@shlunky, yes, I can hear the ticking after it has warmed up for a few minutes. I can also feel vibration in the steering wheel and brake pedal. I have a third party mechanic check it and they said dont worry about the clicking and just have the valves adjusted when i do timing belt. They also looked at the engine and said I didnt have mount problems, i am still thinking rear mount though. might take it to the dealer. Mine is a 08 DX. thoughts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts