Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1995 ody has a rough idle and drives rough, from when it starts until I turn it off or turns off on its own. The gas has gotten very poor, I have to accelarate for it to pick up on speed. I hear an air pumping noise coming from near the catalytic converter and noticed some holes where the catalytic is welded to the exhaust pipe. There is no check engine. Will the holes be giving me these problems?

I replaced the spark plugs, changed the oil, will do egr valve and injector cleaning this weekend.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
If the catalytic convertor is plugged it will cause these problems. The exhaust has nowhere to go and will back up and escape the nearest leak. Also, the engine bogs with all the exhaust backing up. A simple vacuum gauge test will tell if there is plugged exhaust.

·
Registered
25 Posts
try the fuel pump

kinda sounds like you have the same trouble as this guy
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/28-19...0-really-hating-odyssey-misfire-problems.html
checking fuel pressure to find a faulty pump would be my idea of diagnosing a problem instead of throwing parts at it.

plugged exhaust could be a problem, you might try unbolting the cat from the header and drive it around. it will be loud, but it will tell you if its exhaust related.

could be a lot of other things, bad fuel, skipped t-belt, etc, etc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a mechanic, help with checking the van. The header was cracked in 2 places. It was welded together on 1 crack causing part of the rough idle. The other is the head has to be rebuilt there is no spark going to spark plug #3. The wires, cap, rotor and plugs (again) have been replaced. The previous owner is a mechanic that rigs parts to work. He failed to mention that he changed the distributer to a 95 honda civic. I spent most of saturday looking for most parts needed to get it half done. I am low on $$$ so the head will have to wait a while; maybe I can pick up a cheap but good running car soon before I burn the ody infront of the previous owners garage. (just kidding!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts