Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
First post and thanks for all the great info out here...What a great community!

TWO QUESTIONS:

quick backhistory:
(brand new car to me)
'01 Ody with 149k on it.
1st trans. lasted for 130k
rebuild lasted for 1-2mths and kaput...
The 3rd trans has been strong for 13mths (15k miles)

I'm curious to know if it is shifting at the correct time:

1st to 2nd - around 3,000 - 3,100 RPMs
all other gears - around 2,200 - 2,500

Can anyone confirm that the first gear tends to shift at higher RMPs vs other gears even from a slowish start?

And...

I feel a slight shudder when I brake hard to a stop...It's just before I stop all the way (3-5mph) and it feels like a slight clunk (sounds like from rear of van) & slight lurch forward... anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
I don't have an 01 so I can't say much about the shift RPM's other than 3K seems high for a 1-2 shift. It depends on your driving style though.

On your braking question, does "lurch forward" mean that you are thrown forward in your seat, as if the van suddenly braked hard? The rear drum brake shoes might be out of adjustment due to a seized self-adjuster.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply Dave...
I think I may take the van by the shop that replaced the transmission and see if they think it is an issue.

I think I may be just overly attentive to every squeek and creek on the 150k vehicle.

I'm on pins and needles the first month or so that I own a new to me car.

Thanks for the suggestion on the brakes...i'm going to need to see if I can reproduce it reliably and i'll get back with you on the symptoms.
The best I can explain it right now is: It feels almost like the car is downshifting right before you stop.

·
Registered
755 Posts
For the lurching forward part, since it's around 3-5mph, I'm thinking that your tranny is shifting into the first gear. Try it manually and see if it feels the same

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Please see the link below in my signature line for general info on our 2001s...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts