Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have this? I don't know alot about it other than the tires have some type of sensors that tell you when they've been punctured. This seems like a cool feature to add to the Ody but I don't know enough about it to know if its anything more than just getting 4 new tires & some kind of sensor...any comments?

(nyvram scurries off to do a little research)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have SmarTire RF pressure monitoring system on my Camry, it gives reading on actual tires' pressures and temperature and will alert if any of the pressure falls below programmed pressure.
It's the same system installed on cars with run flat tires and much mure accurate than the system that Toyota installs on their Sienna.

I am planning to install the system on my Odyssey when I replace the rims/tires.

-Harry

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heres something I found...is this what you have Harry? ...are there other types? This seems like a cooler mod and more wrothwhile than a donnelly mirror or foglights for half the price...it doesnt seem to even *require* run flats...although that would be the optimal solution.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/pressuremonitors.jsp

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 06-22-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about this?

http://run-flat.com/about.html

This seems like a good solution that would leverage the current Michelins that come installed on the Ody.

It doesn't require a sensor; but the 'time on flat' is much shorter; about 15 mi instead of 55.

Heard anything about it?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Snakeoil you say! Yikes!

I kinda got that impression since it was such a cheesy website..*sigh*.

I first heard about these run-flat systems maybe 5, 6 years ago. I think the tire manufacturers are dragging their feet on this issue because it will mean they'll sell less tires.

That is a shame; the technology is there and it seems ridiculous that no one has stepped up to the plate to bring these to the market at a reasonable price. I did see where Goodyear & Michelin signed a deal well over a year ago to make the "paxsystem"
http://www.paxsystem.com

but nothing has come from that yet that I can see...at least here in the states.

My 70 year old dad could benefit from this. I shudder to think of him stranded on the side of the road trying to change a flat. (And if your dad is like mine...he's gonna do it!)

At any rate, it seems like the $300 or so for the tire pressure sensor/monitor is a no-brainer. I ruined a tire on my Pathfinder because I didn't realize I had a flat until I slowed down several miles after it happened. The sensor would have at least let me know quickly that I had a problem. Now I just need to find someone willing to sell me the sensor without the tires.

I only saw the 'older' unit at tirerack. The corporate site for SmarTire didn't have a way to order the product. Anyone know who carries this?

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 06-23-2001).]

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can order the SmarTire system from tirerack and have it installed at your local tire dealer or you can check with local tire dealers, if they carry run-flat tires they would also carry the monitoring system as it is required.

-Harry

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Harry; so are you saying you have the sensors only? Or do you have both run-flat tires and sensors?

If its the latter and you don't mind me being nosy, how much was the whole system and how good are the tires? It seems like the big 'caveat' that I find is that run-flat tires don't last nearly as long or perform as well as traditional tires.

·
Registered
276 Posts
No, I don't use run-flat tires, I have the monitoring system with regular tires.
The system is very useful, you program 2 pressure settings, something like 25psi and 15psi and the system will alert you when any of the tire's pressure falls below your preset setting. Also the neat thing is that it compensates for rise in pressure when the tires get hot.

-Harry

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Harry,

That's just what I needed. Can't have too many sensors, eh? I think the tire pressure sensor is a great addition to an already great van. Bummer about the 'run-flat.com' site. I wonder what the tire industry thinks of that little gadget?

So lets see here...

- built-in sensors test
::various fluid levels
::electrical voltage
:
n-board computer
::engine temp

Add to that:
- backup sonar to sense objects behind van that cant be seen
- tire pressure sensor to ensure our tires are always at optimal inflation levels
- NAVI GPS so we always know where we are and direction we're heading (NSEW)
- radar and road hazard detector
- telephone access to anyone at anytime (except on the Cumberland Tollway in KY LOL)
- internet on my sprintPCS phone
- outside temp on donnely mirror
- extra mirrors for expanded viewing area around vehicle
- ..?

Captain Picard, eat...your...heart...out...

These are great additions...any others out there that are 'must haves'?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts