Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I hated the PAX tires on our Touring, I was hoping Honda would go to Sienna-type runflats on the '11 Odyssey instead of eliminating the option altogether.

Is anyone aware of any aftermarket runflats that would work on the '11 odyssey?

Since there is a TPMS on the Odyssey Touring, I presume runflats would be allowed.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sorry, I can't help but point out the irony in that yesterday someone was complaining about Honda finally changing the door conditions and alerts, and now people want the run flats back. :D That being said, the only reason Toyota offers runflats at all is because the AWD system takes up the spare tire compartment. Toyotas not exactly doing it out of convenience for the customer.

·
Super Moderator
13,641 Posts
Cntrtwnltd said:
Sorry, I can't help but point out the irony in that yesterday someone was complaining about Honda finally changing the door conditions and alerts, and now people want the run flats back. :D
LOL. Good one. I suppose Honda is doomed as they possibly cannot win at all with so many people so divided on "features". :D

·
Registered
506 Posts
There is nothing special about the Toyota runflats, aside from the no spare you could run non-runflats on them all day long.

This means you could also buy the same tires and put them on your Ody and away you go.

Cheers.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Snobike Mike said:
There is nothing special about the Toyota runflats, aside from the no spare you could run non-runflats on them all day long.

This means you could also buy the same tires and put them on your Ody and away you go.

Cheers.
Yes, but wouldn't it be hard to monitor the distance without the car keeping track the way the old MID's did for PAX. I was just saying earlier that Toyota offered them because they couldn't offer the spare. I have a feeling that if they were able to carve out enough space for the extra tire, there would be no runflats.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry ... I didn't mean to suggest that I wanted the Sienna runflats, or that Toyota offered the option out of the goodness of their heart....

I just wanted to know when if when it comes to replacing the tires on my Ody, I would have either runflat tires, or a new wheels+ runflat tires option that was viable.

When I looked to replace my '05 Ody's PAX with non-PAX runflats, i was told that was not possible even buying new wheel/tite ombinations.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Cntrtwnltd said:
. I have a feeling that if they were able to carve out enough space for the extra tire, there would be no runflats.
Why not?

There are more and more runflats coming out today and the technology continues to improve. I expect that runflats will start taking over in the coming years for a wide variety of reasons including the simple fact that it does save space, weight and cost.

Plus you have the added safety of being able to continue if you do have a flat.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Acurafan said:
Sorry ... I didn't mean to suggest that I wanted the Sienna runflats, or that Toyota offered the option out of the goodness of their heart....
The point is they are not "Sienna" runflats, they are Michelin runflats which are non-demoninational and could be installed on any vehicle, regardless of race, color, or manufacturer.

Acurafan said:
I just wanted to know when if when it comes to replacing the tires on my Ody, I would have either runflat tires, or a new wheels+ runflat tires option that was viable.

When I looked to replace my '05 Ody's PAX with non-PAX runflats, i was told that was not possible even buying new wheel/tite ombinations.
Regarding "de-paxing" Ody's, there are sticky's around for that and many owners have done it. Pax and runflat technology is pretty much like comparing apples to oranguatans.

·
Registered
161 Posts
FWIW ... we traded-in our 2004 Sienna XLE Limited AWD for a new 2011 Odyssey Touring.

The run-flat tires we had on the Sienna, has 2 cons. They are expensive ($160-180 each) and at best you'll get 20K miles out of them (most people only get 15K). We have been changing a set of 4 tires each year (within 15 months).

Yes, the technology works; but so does a can of "fix-a-flat" (like the green Spair cans) and an air-pump. We did the Spair fix-a-flat thing on my 2001 MDX tire and it has held up for the last 6 months.

Usually a run-flat has to be patched from the inside and sometimes it cannot; meaning you'll end up using a "fix-a-flat" or replacing the tire.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was just researching run-flats versus traditional tires and from what I was able to find out, run-flats are more expensive, wear out sooner than traditional tires, and if you wanted to put run-flat tires on a van with traditional tires, you would need to buy new rims that support run-flats b/c the run-flat rims have a bigger lip to support the tire sidewall when there is no air in it. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
161 Posts
faddygk81 said:
I was just researching run-flats versus traditional tires and from what I was able to find out, run-flats are more expensive, wear out sooner than traditional tires, and if you wanted to put run-flat tires on a van with traditional tires, you would need to buy new rims that support run-flats b/c the run-flat rims have a bigger lip to support the tire sidewall when there is no air in it. just my 2 cents.
Not true. It all depends on the run-flats. The dreaded PAX system required special wheels as far as I was told. However, the run-flats on our Sienna were mounted on the same wheels as the non-run-flat tires. I guess as long as you can find a run-flat in the size you need, you can used them. They just have thicker sidewalls as far as I can tell. Our run-flats weighed noticeably more.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We just took delivery of a 2011 Touring replacing a 2008. The major reason for trading - the PAX tires needed replacing at 30K miles. It didn't look to me like the options for replacing these were viable and if we replaced the PAX tires we would still be looking at reduced value down the road.

This will be our 3rd Odyssey and thus far would judge the 2011 Odyssey as very good if not the best of the mini-van bunch. It is very quiet, no rattles and my wife loves the easier (lighter) handling.

·
Registered
506 Posts
teamTMS said:
The run-flat tires we had on the Sienna, has 2 cons. They are expensive ($160-180 each) and at best you'll get 20K miles out of them (most people only get 15K). We have been changing a set of 4 tires each year (within 15 months).
Should be interesting to see how long these runflats last. I got way more than 15K miles out of the runflats on my vette............

·
Registered
161 Posts
Snobike Mike said:
Should be interesting to see how long these runflats last. I got way more than 15K miles out of the runflats on my vette............
Don't think you vette weighed 4500+ pounds. I believe it is the weight of the van that is causing the run-flats to wear fast.

We (as well as other Sienna owners) got about 3K more miles out of the run-flats when we inflated the tires to 40PSI instead of the recommended 34PSI; trade-off was more road noise.

·
Registered
506 Posts
teamTMS said:
Don't think you vette weighed 4500+ pounds. I believe it is the weight of the van that is causing the run-flats to wear fast.

Sure but the van also doesn't have 400 hp and 400 ft/lbs of torque and aggressive camber setting and the like. The vette tires also have a much lower wear rating.

Oh well, time will tell.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree with the concept of run flats and was disappointed that Honda and/or Michelin didn't come up with a economical replacement for the PAX System.

Actually we had PAX on our 05 and got acceptable life (45K). When we bought our 08 we had a choice and selected PAX. this about the time the reports of poor life started to surface.

We had one experience with PAX.My wife was out in the country with 5 ladies aboard, ran over a sharp rock and cut the side wall of a tire. She was able to get home on the run flat. I think this was in 06 when Michelin included a road hazard warranty because the wheel/tire was replaced. N/C.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts