Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I plan on installing a 2 channel dash cam on my 2011 Honda Odyssey. What is the best path to run the wires from the rear of the car to the front - Ceiling or floor? I’ve never removed panels before and I don’t know which would be easier.
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Greetings,
I plan on installing a 2 channel dash cam on my 2011 Honda Odyssey. What is the best path to run the wires from the rear of the car to the front - Ceiling or floor? I’ve never removed panels before and I don’t know which would be easier.
Thanks for your help!
did mine... installed a blackvue.

The answer to your question, is how long is your wire to the rear camera?

most dash cams make the wire for cars, which is sufficient to run down the A/B pilloer then along under the kick /rocker panels then up to the rear camera.
This was done with ease on my wifes civic.
The odyssey and kids veracruz, the wire wasn't long enough to run along the rockers.

which means running the wire through the headliner.

This creates a challenge with side curtain airbags, as they run the entire length of the edge of the headliner.

On the veracruz and odyssey, I had to take extra care running the wire, and zip tie the wire to the bolt anchor points on the back side of the curtain airbags as to not impede them if they deployed.
that wire could do some damage if it came shooting out on airbag deployment.

in hind site and if I were to do future vans or suv's, I would use my fiberglass wire fish rods and run the wire from the back, down the middle of the headliner along side the sunroof, and exit somewhere near the mirror area.

I chose to mount the rear camera to the rear light / lens, as it was not sticking well to the interior panels with multiple variations of 3M tape.

Kept falling off on hot days, even when prepping the surface with lighter fluid.
It hasnt moved since sticking it to the light lens.

Just position it so it doesn't block the bulb.

I also used a piece of aluminum stock cut to fit between the rear camera mount and the lens, to give it more clearance and further rearward visibility, to see past the rear wing and odd shaped back window.

buy yourself an add a circuit fuse, which makes hard-wiring the camera to an existing accessory fuse easier, vs plugging to the 12v lighter socket.

I use parking mode, and a voltage controller.
My wifes newer thinkware has it all built in.

Thats my long winded 2 1/2 cents...

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Floor. Take off the door steps off and secure wires underneath it. Shove the wire with a plastic trim tool when you get to the rear big panels. Then to go into the tailgate, run the wires through the electrical rubber boot on the right side.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
...in hind site and if I were to do future vans or suv's, I would use my fiberglass wire fish rods and run the wire from the back, down the middle of the headliner along side the sunroof, and exit somewhere near the mirror area.
I installed a front-only dashcam in my 2011 LX. Very easy. Details in this post:

Wiring is different for LX vs. the not-completely-stripped models, so be aware when finding your power source, etc.

If I needed to connect a rear facing camera as well, I'd try to use a "fish rod" approach as Ticket suggests. Starting at the front map light console area, poking rearwards along the top of the headliner. I don't know if that would work, but it would be very easy to try and I bet it's 80% likely to work, and would be far easier than anything else I know of.

Reading Ticket's post again, I realize some of these cars (the fancier ones) have sunroofs. That would definitely affect my plan and lower my expected success estimate. Still, in general, as with most modern cars, there is open dead space above the headliner panel, and poking a fish rod / tape through there.

If unfamiliar on what a fish rod is, don't go looking for your outdoor fun gear. Here's an example to get you started (not that this particular item is anything close to what you need in this application):

Does anyone make wirelessly connected camera pairs yet? That would be even easier.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
676 Posts
Reading Ticket's post again, I realize some of these cars (the fancier ones) have sunroofs. That would definitely affect my plan and lower my expected success estimate. Still, in general, as with most modern cars, there is open dead space above the headliner panel, and poking a fish rod / tape through there.
All but the LX have a sunroof, so most of them do. You should be able to pull off the trim around the sunroof to gain access to run wires around the outside of the sunroof assembly though, then the fish tape/rod trick might work.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
All but the LX have a sunroof, so most of them do. You should be able to pull off the trim around the sunroof to gain access to run wires around the outside of the sunroof assembly though, then the fish tape/rod trick might work.

-Charlie
I run a fair bit of cat5e /cat6 wire in my spare time for friends / family...
the magnepull is gold if you have one.

suggested fishing from the rear to the front, as when disconnecting the rear ANC mic in the headliner, there was enough space to fit my arm with some persuasion.

once the weatherstrip rubber is off you can easily get a fish rod in that void and keep adding the extensions.

not an exact science, just trial and error till you get the wire out the other end.
😅

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
676 Posts
We have the SE model here in Canada that has no sunroof.
I think its a bumped up LX, just so were extra Speecccial.
🤣
Ack, I misspoke. The EX and SE in the US are also sunroof-less.

But what kind of person buys less than an EX-L? ;)

-Charlie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback/suggestions. I have the EX - L and bought the BlackVue DR750S-2CH with the Magic pro and instal package. I plan on installing it tomorrow. I took a good look at it today, and I don’t see how you can run it through the headliner. It doesn’t seem to be attached to anything. Hopefully the wire is long enough to run it through the floor. Ticket, do you remember what fuses you tapped into? Did you run is passenger or driver side? Thanks again everyone. I really do appreciate you guys responding. I read this thread like 20 times, getting nervous.

Any other tips or advice are more than welcomed!
Best to everyone!!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Thanks for the feedback/suggestions. I have the EX - L and bought the BlackVue DR750S-2CH with the Magic pro and instal package. I plan on installing it tomorrow. I took a good look at it today, and I don’t see how you can run it through the headliner. It doesn’t seem to be attached to anything. Hopefully the wire is long enough to run it through the floor. Ticket, do you remember what fuses you tapped into? Did you run is passenger or driver side? Thanks again everyone. I really do appreciate you guys responding. I read this thread like 20 times, getting nervous.

Any other tips or advice are more than welcomed!
Best to everyone!!
Apologies... missed your post.
use @(username) to shout out, as sometimes I don't get notifications to threads im participating on.

Tried an add a fuse for the accessory wire for the voltage controller on D panel fuse D27 (passenger side), and it kept killing my battery on parking mode it would not shut off.
Used fuse position D22 which is blank but does have ignition power on the right terminal, so i wrapped a wire on the leg of a fuse and stuck it in there.
I know I know, it's not graceful but works like a charm now, the wire is already fused to the voltage controller.
Put the battery wire for the controller on D28 spade.

BTW add a fuse/circuit works great without the voltage controller in the equation.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone! I got a little stressed right before the install but it wasn’t that difficult.
I went driver side along the ceiling. I used fuse 8 which was empty and always on. I used the fuse tap even though I didn’t tap a fuse there. I then used fuse 10 which is on when the key is turned.
The wires were easily hidden except the back.
Good enough for me.
Thanks!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts