Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 Odyssey EX-L, 68000 kms has some surface rust in the lift gage door area. Will this covered under warranty?

Is there a good way to clean surface rust off the paint? Will a mild rubbing compound do the trick? I wonder if the metallic nature of the paint also contributes to it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Where is the rust? Can you post a picture?

Nicolas

·
Registered
513 Posts
Looking at the picture I am reminded of something a service person told me: The rust that was covered under that manufacturer's warranty was rust that comes from underneath the paint. If there is a small impact hole in the rust spot it means that something chipped the paint, exposing the metal underneath, which would not be covered.

Not sure if this applies to Hondas. Does someone know?

Nicolas

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, general rule of mfg corrossion waranty is that if there was no chip and the rust came from underneath the paint's surface, it will be covered within the 5 yr warranty period (Honday), if its a stone chip and rusted due to that, it will not be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
513 Posts
OK then, from the picture it looks like there are small chips in the middle of both rust spots. Is that correct?

And btw, I checked and we don't have rust in that area.

Nicolas

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me double check again, maybe it is a chip, but wondering how it could happen as its normally closed.

Dang if that is the case. I will have to sand and touch it up.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I know my bumper is full of chips (that appear when my mom has the kids and the car... :-/ ), probably from putting stuff into and out of the trunk.

Nicolas

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked again this afternoon, and there are some minor rust spots around the lift gate opening (body side), near the rubber seals.

nicomtl said:
I know my bumper is full of chips (that appear when my mom has the kids and the car... :-/ ), probably from putting stuff into and out of the trunk.

Nicolas

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since my car has the DiamondKote module (I know I got conned into it when I got my Ody), and since it has a 10 yr warranty, the dealer will send in a claim for me.

I'll be dropping by tomorrow, they'll take photos and submit a claim on my behalf.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got owned.

DiamondKote D9000 module only covers anything below the window line. What a bunch of crock. I know I got suckered into this, and another one of those snakeoil. I told myself I would never get suckered into it, but I did. No one else to blame.

I called Honda care, and of course, I'm out of the 3 yrs (by 3 months) surface corrossion warranty, but still within the 5 year rust perforation.

They'll contact the dealer and find out from their side the details and Honda said they'll call me back.

For 40K CDN vehicle, I didn't expect it to rust so soon.

roadcarver said:
Since my car has the DiamondKote module (I know I got conned into it when I got my Ody), and since it has a 10 yr warranty, the dealer will send in a claim for me.

I'll be dropping by tomorrow, they'll take photos and submit a claim on my behalf.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Just take some wax, polish, or rubbing compound to both spots and clean them up. If the paint is chipped (as it appears to be on the spot on the left), hit it with a drop of touch-up paint.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's also some rust spots under the rubber, and it seems to be holding water and causing the rust.

I took the van to my mechanic who also has a body shop and he noticed that there are two seems 3/4 up at the lift gate entrace which do not have a seam sealer, and thats where the rust is also starting.

He told me to complain to my dealer and Honda about it. If they don't do anything, he said don't buy out the car after the lease.

Tri-C said:
Just take some wax, polish, or rubbing compound to both spots and clean them up. If the paint is chipped (as it appears to be on the spot on the left), hit it with a drop of touch-up paint.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trunk area seam

I have an 07 EX-L, and the trunk gate opening has a seam on both pillars that runs horizontally, and it is about 5 inches long approximately.

Anyone who has an 07 model, can you please help compare the seams that you have versus the photo that I have? Mine seems to have a gap which is not covered by a seam sealer from the factory and is causing some rust to occur.

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
roadcarver said:
I have an 07 EX-L, and the trunk gate opening has a seam on both pillars that runs horizontally, and it is about 5 inches long approximately.

Anyone who has an 07 model, can you please help compare the seams that you have versus the photo that I have? Mine seems to have a gap which is not covered by a seam sealer from the factory and is causing some rust to occur.

Thanks for the help.

Since its all rust in the lift gate area/trunk area, I merged this as this and your Krown thread are all related to your rust issues.

:)

I have a 2007. Can you pan out a bit as I have no clue what part the two pictures are from.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Noticed that you're in Canada which is also where I am. Are you on the coast? Do you park it in the garage in the winter? These factors can easily contribute to accelerated wear on the body and parts. Definitely sand the area down and apply a colour matched spray bomb. It'll be as good as new.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi DV,

Thanks for merging, I wasn't sure if I needed to start a thread or not.

As for the photo, this is the side pillars of the tailgate opening, so if you open the lift gate of your van, the sides of the van (body side) or the pillars is where this shot was taken.

The black tubular rod you see to the right of the photo that is slightly out of focus on the first screen shot is the liftgate struts.

If you are still unclear, I'll take a photo at a wider angle and mark where it is that I was focusing.

@ Whoa - I live in Markham, ON. During winter, I park the car in the garage, but during the summer season it is out since I have my motorcycle to use and its a hassle to keep rearranging the garage.

Thanks,

Vernon

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Ok got it. I will post pix tonight from my 2007.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just came back from a local dealer and took a look at a 2010 Odyssey, and low and behold, its the same as my 2007.

This could potentially be a weak spot on Odysseys as the joints if not painted properly can rust out.

I briefly removed the rubber for a bit and the rust spots are not that bad around seal.

Question: If I sand it down to remove the rust, should I prime it before I apply the touch up paint?

I'm leaning to use the POR 15, but it may be overkill for that area.

Thanks,

Vernon

1 - 20 of 32 Posts