Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

Aside from this post here, I have not found any others on this topic. I recently bought the 2010 Ody from my brother, and noticed rust on both front door sills; the post mentions just lifting the plastic covers, does that mean they snap off this way, or was is just recommended to lift the edge to "check" for rust?

In any case, can someone tell me if they just pop off upwards, do I need to watch out for anything forcing them?
Also, if anyone has tackled rust here, I would appreciate some tips.

What is this clear 3M tape that the post mentions, anyone else use it for this same purpose?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Yes, they pop off straight up fairly easily as I've had mine off for wiring jobs.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If its surface rust or mild penetration you can use a number of rust converter products like naval jelly or "the must for rust". All contain phosphoric acid. It stings a bit on skin but is otherwise safe. DO NOT let it spill not even a bit on concrete or permanent white staining occurs. It turns the rusted area black. Then wipe with your choice of nasty solvents, I prefer naptha. Do not use water to rinse before priming.
Then use any number of oil base rusty primers to coat it. Many say they require a topcoat for full protection but if not exposed to the elements its not entirely necessary. Rustoleum rusty metal primer is just okay. I have a lot of experience with these repairs. I was in a carrier deployed F-4 phantom squadron in the USN in the 80s and while my rate was fire control tech you get a lot of additional duties and training thrown your way and I was our shops corrosion control petty officer. 90% of the job being sitting in cockpits getting high whether you liked it or not spraying flat black paint into the cap and touching up the hundreds of scratches all over it, especially the plastic instrument panel faces. Do not paint over the letters they need to glow red at night.
Anywho they still taught us tons of stuff I applied during the four years I owned this beast while living about 150 yds from the pacific ocean:

Serious, 65 cadillacs are pure iron and the mods this had allowed evening fog to drip into inaccessible areas and leave sea minerals behind.
The floors were flintstone style when I replaced them with aluminum panels I cut and bent by hand but not before using the exact method described above to neutralize the rust on remaining steel:
Picture018.jpg

Some people will tell you you cant stop or fight rust. Thats just dumb..

·
Registered
320 Posts
this was the image I wanted. I mounted aluminum HLCD speakers under the dash and those are 8" mid bass drivers in the kick panel vents. Pair of 15" subs behind the driver built into a seat. Big fun in the ceiling:

The back of that

Just because I could.
Picture021.jpg
Picture024.jpg
hearse01.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

I can only find these 2, when searching for naval jelly at HD (Canada): https://www.homedepot.ca/search?q=naval jelly#!q=naval jelly

Is one better than the other? I'm not sure how deep the rust is, haven't had the chance to look, tomorrow thundershowers all day, so next week some time. I was going to take an angle grinder to it, but if I can do it with a rust dissolver, much better and less mess.

Would wiping it with acetone or rubbing alcohol after be enough after the rust is dissolved and before priming it for paint? Do you recommend some of that clear 3M tape on top, seems a place that would get a lot of traffic from water/snow/salt.

Is that the ghostbusters car on steroids? :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Go with this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/krud-kutter-the-must-for-rust-946-ml/1000831020

The gel formula in your link is for vertical surfaces.
Also to clarify a point I worded wrong its okay to rinse the phosphoric acid with water(in fact I think the label says to)
Just make sure you clean it with something after (alcohol is fine). I have seen rust starting hours after otherwise when I left moisture on it. This is also why a good primer is key as the first product doesnt prevent new rust.
I had a good experience with a product similar to this recently:

Applied to a large metal bending tool that had previous rust issues. Sprayed it with that after using must for rust and stored in my friends shed, he is about a mile from the beach. Over five years later not a sign of rust.

Dont know about the tape thing would that be for wear and scuff protection? Prolly wait a few weeks for the paint to fully dry, it really does take that long.

Ghostbusters was an ambulance, a bit older. That one was a hearse/limo combo, the fumeral home could transport family members or fold the seats down and put a casket in.
Before I got it it was commercially used as a limo and billed as the worlds only limo with a disco dance floor. The bubble gave you about 8 feet of headroom and it had parquet wood floor with led chasers.
Back window had this neon sign:

Neon skulls and arrows behind the bubbles.
On the other side by the door another neon sign said "fantasy zone".
After 4 years I couldnt get it out of my driveway fast enough.
With the 429 it easily went 100 miles an hour. And a mile to stop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts