Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone else has this problem...we have a very small spot of rust on the hood of our light silver '07 odyssey. It is about 1/4 inch in diameter. When I first spotted it, I was pretty upset but my husband said it was just from getting chipped, than I was mentioning it to a friend who also drives an '07 ody and she has the exact same sort of spots, although she has several and right now, we have one.
I understand than paint gets chipped, but we have owned several new vehicles and have NEVER had them rust when they are only three years old...for that matter, my husbands car which is much older does not have that kind of rust. I am frustrated. This is our first Honda we have ever owned, and so far, I am not impressed. Anyone else have these small spots of rust?

Thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fully understand that the warrenty only covers rust that comes thru not from chipped paint, I am just disgusted that the paint chips so easily...I have never had this happen before. I will be filing a complaint with Honda...not that I expect them to do anything about it, but I think that it should be documented.

·
Registered
513 Posts
A friend's 6 months old Kia Borrego (a Kia, but a 35k$ Kia...) has several 1/8 inch spots on the hood where paint is lifting due to a very small impact. It is not much, but after so little time I can't help but think (and told him) it's not normal. Unfortunately, because of the chips, probably not much that can be done.

So, you're not alone.

FWIW, I put hood deflectors on my cars to protect from hood chips.

Nicolas

·
Registered
463 Posts
Our 04 Odyssey has developed a little rust after the paint on the hood was chipped, but I just scraped off the rust with a razor or something sharp to get it back down to the metal, then put a little touch up paint on it. The rust never returned. You do have to catch it early, though. It is just something I look for when I wash the van. Same thing has happened to our MDX and other cars. I tend to think the slanted hood of the Odyssey is going to be more prone to serious chips than some cars and SUVs. It would be great if the dealer will help, but I think you might be on your own. Tom

·
Registered
455 Posts
When I fix rock chips or rust spots, I use this process:

- Tape off the chip with masking tape. Get as close to the edges of the chip (or rust) as possible

- Sand the paint-chip with 400 grit sandpaper to get the edges nice and smooth. If it's rust, then I sand until I get down to the bare metal

- Re-sand with 600 grit to get the surface even smoother

- Clean the area with lacquer thinner, and apply a light coat of primer

- Lightly apply the touchup paint 3-4 times over the course of a few hours. You want to try and "fill-in the chip/rust" the best you can to get the paint level back up to where it used to be. Letting the touchup paint dry between coats will allow it to shrink, so more applications are needed. If it's completely filled in after a few hours of the first application, then you've used too much

- Remove masking tape after the 3rd or 4th layer of touchup has been applied, wait about 24 hours before going to next step

- Apply masking tape again, but in a slightly larger area to expose the outter edges of your touchup paint. Apply a few light coats of clearcoat. A spraycan of clearcoat will work too. It's not exactly professional, but it'll still work. Remove tape

- Let the clearcoat dry for at least 24 hours before proceeding

- Wetsand the small area with 1500 grit sandpaper until the "bump" you just made is gone

- First polish with a medium compound, then switch to a light compound to get it back to the mirror finish

*In my personal opinion, spraying the paint on is much better than using the brush in the bottle. Spraying disperses the paint and/or the metal flakes much better. Spraying will also require many more coats though. I usually apply about 6-8 coats of touchup paint when I'm airbrushing the damaged area.

Again, this is MY process. Others may disagree on certain points, but my method has worked well for many of vehicles...including my own.

I know it's time consuming, but it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, that is great advice on how to fix it. That is my biggest fear is that the thing will just keep rusting and I will be driving around a rusty POC odyssey. Thanks so much for the how-to lesson, I am sure that is the route we will go.

Stephanie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts