Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
If you have the scanner connected continuously while driving it is a flat line at 74F?
I just took a 1000 miles trip and I saw fluctuations from 161 to 166F coolant temp while driving on highway up and down mountains with SVCM connected.

Yup, flat line at 74

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
seems like that sensor is toast if its always at 74C.
a 35 dollar after market or 50 dollar oem gamble, to see if it solves your issue might be worth it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yeah definitely!!!

But correct me if im wrong, is the svcm not supposed to keep it at a flat line of 74 celsius (165f) constantly in order to trick the computer into preventing eco from kicking in?

Or does it staying flat lined at 74 mean there is a problem?

Ill see where im at today with things, otherwise ill head out and pickup an aftermarket sensor. If not today, then sometime this week and ill report back.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Yeah definitely!!!

But correct me if im wrong, is the svcm not supposed to keep it at a flat line of 74 celsius (165f) constantly in order to trick the computer into preventing eco from kicking in?

Or does it staying flat lined at 74 mean there is a problem?

Ill see where im at today with things, otherwise ill head out and pickup an aftermarket sensor. If not today, then sometime this week and ill report back.

Thanks
good point, and that's probably not it then.

I have read through the service manual, and there is little explanation on how the coolant sensor plays into the VCM activation process.

everything I have read is from this forum.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yeah, im just stumped at the fact that its still activating.

Well, ill see if any other members chime in as im completely stumped.

I mean, i can swap out the sensor but idk if theres any point. No harm in giving it a shot i guess. Even if there was a loose connection or some sort of issue with it, i feel i would be getting a check engine light.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So it was a high of 32 degrees and the eco light was on A LOT today.

But after driving for a bit, sometimes it would go off and stay off for the rest of the drive.

Other times not.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I am wondering since the PCM ultimately controls when VCM turns on and off based on inputs, if one of the other input systems are the cause of it going on and off so often regardless of temp.

I cant find anything in the manual on what inputs are required by the PCM to activate VCM, besides speed, temp and TPS data.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
As far as i know, those are the only 3 that seem to be the inputs as well.

Im still figuring out WHY this is happening. I have the svcm on my 2010 pilot, although its not driven as much. We took it fully loaded with people on a 3 hr trip and no eco light at all. Not even once.

Something is definitely wrong with my van to which the eco light keeps on coming on. Could it be a bad battery connection maybe? But if that were the case, my scan tool would show a jump in temperature from the svcm cutting in and out.

Man this is confusing!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
As far as i know, those are the only 3 that seem to be the inputs as well.

Im still figuring out WHY this is happening. I have the svcm on my 2010 pilot, although its not driven as much. We took it fully loaded with people on a 3 hr trip and no eco light at all. Not even once.

Something is definitely wrong with my van to which the eco light keeps on coming on. Could it be a bad battery connection maybe? But if that were the case, my scan tool would show a jump in temperature from the svcm cutting in and out.

Man this is confusing!
Since no one else is chiming in here, here is a long shot...

What about a throttle body cleaning and a idle relearn?
wont cost you much except an hour of your time and a can of cleaner.

does your scan tool support the idle learn feature?

I have the procedures in a pdf, pm me if you need it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I guess i have nothing to lose with that haha. Insanely busy with work and such for the next while so unsure of when ill actually get around to giving it a go though.

I dont think my scan tool supports that feature.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
801 Posts
At least this isn't some horrible problem. Worst case is that the van runs as designed instead of better than designed.

-Charlie

·
Registered
133 Posts
Could it be a bad battery connection maybe?
couldn't hurt anything to remove battery connections and get them nice and clean?
i recall reading about a muzzler, not sure if it was SVCM or not, about a loose battery connection causing the eco light to come on

you could try a continuity tester/multimeter and giggle the connections to sensor, fuse and battery to see if anything breaks continuity, ideally try this on a hot day when you might expect the ECO light to come on?

Reactions: Ticket

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok in the end if everything checks out and you still can't figure it out then do what my father in law does and take a piece of electrical tape and put it over the alarm.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
At least this isn't some horrible problem. Worst case is that the van runs as designed instead of better than designed.

-Charlie
Yup agreed. Thing is, i want the
van to keep running well haha. Not have those horrible horror stories of "vcm causes engine failure".

at this point its mainly my own curiosity as to why this is happening!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
couldn't hurt anything to remove battery connections and get them nice and clean?
i recall reading about a muzzler, not sure if it was SVCM or not, about a loose battery connection causing the eco light to come on

you could try a continuity tester/multimeter and giggle the connections to sensor, fuse and battery to see if anything breaks continuity, ideally try this on a hot day when you might expect the ECO light to come on?
I did this once. But will give it a more thorough cleaning this time and see what happens!

Thats a good plan of the continuity checks. Will try to make some time for that too!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Ok in the end if everything checks out and you still can't figure it out then do what my father in law does and take a piece of electrical tape and put it over the alarm.
Lol, electrical tape solves many problems!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts