Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Boss
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What safety seats does everyone recommend for a 20 pound child?

Does anyone have a link for a site with good info on them?

------------------

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mines getting nearly 20 lbs as well, and is going to need something new. I want something that uses the tethers. That's gotta be much more secure than the seatbelts.

------------------
'01 SS Honda Odyssey EX
'99 F150 XL Supercab
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am currently using Fisher Price Safe Embrace car seats in the center row seats. I am also using the Graco Cherish Cargo booster seat as well. I have the tether straps attached to both seats. Both types of seats work well. I also found a good site called epinions.com that allows you to review different models of car seats and view the user opinions on the seats. Good Luck!!!

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
The Britax Roundabout and Fisher Price Safe Embrace (version II has LATCH) are generally regarded among the best, and priciest, child seats. Both use the 5-point harness, usually preferred by experts. Both have features not found in many seats, like energy absorbing foam, built-in seatbelt lockoffs, one-button tightness adjustment, etc. Both also have the higher 30 lb. rear-facing limit, which is nice since it is recommended you keep infants rear-facing until they are close to 30 lbs, regardless of age, unless they are too tall for the harness straps recommended in rear-facing mode. The Roundabout can use the tether in front or rear-facing mode. The Cosco Triad is a very good alternative for 2001 Odysseys for use front-facing in the 2nd row using the LATCH system. The Triad is a bargain, but it doesn't have the features of the Safe Embrace II. The fit is excellent and it is still a step above many other seats in my opinion. Currently, the Triad and FPSE-II are the only LATCH seats on the market.

Here are some good places to learn more:
http://pages.ivillage.com/carseatfaq/index.html
http://www.homestead.com/murphydog77/

The RA and FPSE are among the top rated seats at epinions, but beware that some of the opinions offer advice that is uninformed, or just plain bad:
http://www.epinions.com/kifm-B-BEquip-Car_Seats-Infant_Toddler_Convertibles-Britax_Roundabout?tk=TB003.1.1
http://www.epinions.com/kifm-Baby_Equipment-Car_Seats-All-Fisher_Price_Safe_Embrace_II?tk=TB003.1.4

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 04-02-2001).]

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've used www.babygearreview.com for consumer opinions. I get my safety information elsewhere. It has been helpful to get a sense of the general strengths and weaknesses of products from parents who have been where I'm going.

Eric

------------------
2001 TW EX - Trans Cooler, Bug Shield, Leather Steering Wheel Cover, Wheel Well Liners

·
Registered
30 Posts
We just got the Cosco Alpha Omega (5-point harness) for our 1-year old. She turned one yesterday, April 1st. It has the tether option. The best thing about the seat is that she loves it. She doesn't fight getting into the van any more. And it seems to be a very safe seat from what I have read about it. Shop around, prices can really vary. From $50.00 to $130.00.

·
Registered
96 Posts
From what I have researched about car seats i have found exactly what caviller reported. The Britax and the FP Safe Embrace are the two best on the market. The 5-point harness (similar to those found in race cars) is looked upon as the safest method of securing a child. We have two FP Safe Embrace seats (one in the Ody and one in the Probe) and love them. Currently it is rear facing for my 11 month old/20 lb child. It is easy to use and $100 at Toys R' Us. Thought about going with the Britax but they are harder to find and I have seen them for about $200. Since the Britax and the FP are usually neck-and-neck when seen in comparisons, we decided to go with the FP. Plus as a bonus it matched our Ody (Blue to match the exterior and a light grey to match the interior.)

Chris

------------------
99 EX Deep Velvet Blue; Fog Lights; Air Deflector; Splash Guards; Cargo Tray; Cargo Mat

·
Registered
103 Posts
I too have the Fisher Price Safe Embrace Car seats and have been quite pleased with them. I also bought mine at Toys R US.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just purchased a Cosco Triad for our new 2001 SS EX. It fits very nicely in the rear facing position in the middle bucket seats and uses the latch system to connect as well as being teethered. Very pleased so far.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LovenLifeInMyOddy:
I just purchased a Cosco Triad for our new 2001 SS EX. It fits very nicely in the rear facing position in the middle bucket seats and uses the latch system to connect as well as being teethered. Very pleased so far.</font>
I will check, but I am fairly sure you should NOT be using a tether with the Triad in rear-facing mode. I believe the Britax Roundabout is the only seat approved to use the tether in rear-facing mode.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I mispoke forgive me- I hadn't put a tether strap on it in the rear facing position but had tried it earlier in the forward facing position.
Today, I had my daugher in the seat for the first time. The seat was snug as a bug but my daugher seemed to be stuffed in. Seems like there's no where for her legs & feet to go except into the back part of the vehicle seat. That doesn't seem right. I think the vehicles seat tilts too far in so even though the car seat is in the reclined position she still seems like she's sitting too far upright. I'll be taking this one back I'm sure. I really do like the latch system though.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LovenLifeInMyOddy:
I mispoke forgive me- I hadn't put a tether strap on it in the rear facing position but had tried it earlier in the forward facing position.
Today, I had my daugher in the seat for the first time. The seat was snug as a bug but my daugher seemed to be stuffed in. Seems like there's no where for her legs & feet to go except into the back part of the vehicle seat. That doesn't seem right. I think the vehicles seat tilts too far in so even though the car seat is in the reclined position she still seems like she's sitting too far upright. I'll be taking this one back I'm sure. I really do like the latch system though.
</font>
My Britax Roundabout doesn't get enough recline in rear facing mode in the Odyssey either. Many seats have the same issue in certain vehicles. It is perfectly safe to put a rolled up towel or noodle under the front of the car seat (at the back of the chair) to get the 45 degree recline recommended for infants.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i use a century next step dx child seat. i like it because i can adjust it from the front of the seat to allow for different clothing thickness.

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter,honda single disc cd player,honda roof rack with cross rails,honda bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass

·
Registered
126 Posts
With the LATCH, is it still possible to use the rolled up towel trick to adjust the level of the carseat or do LATCH carseats have that adjustment built in?

The problem is the front of the van seat is higher than the back where the LATCH is. When rear facing, the carseat is tilted forward so that the infant sits too upright.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by exindenver:
With the LATCH, is it still possible to use the rolled up towel trick to adjust the level of the carseat or do LATCH carseats have that adjustment built in?

The problem is the front of the van seat is higher than the back where the LATCH is. When rear facing, the carseat is tilted forward so that the infant sits too upright.
</font>
Any adjustment for recline would be independent of the LATCH system. The Cosco Triad does not have such an adjustment, but future seats may have it. It is still possible (and safe) to use a towel or noodle under the child seat to get the proper recline.

One possible advantage of the Britax Roundabout is that you can use the tether in rf mode. With one of the suggested methods, you can actually tighten the tether and it will pull the back of the seat down giving more recline. Unfortunately, Britax has not yet released the LATCH version of the Roundabout...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Does anyone have details about the news item on Cosco having to pay big fines for not reporting defects in some of its child safety equipment?

------------------
2001 TW EX - Trans Cooler, Bug Shield, Leather Steering Wheel Cover, Wheel Well Liners

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by exindenver:
Check out this CPSC link for the story. Makes me wonder about buying another COSCO product.
http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01119.html

</font>
Ditto. This cinched it for me:

"Both companies have been penalized in the past for failure to comply with reporting requirements."

You'd think they'd have learned the first 2 times.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I heard nothing of this until now. Thanks for posting the link.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

1 - 20 of 23 Posts