Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading this forum for a couple of days. Alittle concerned with the problems on the early odysseys. Purchased my 04 new, Sept 2004. Has the improved transmission per the vin no. Now has 144,000 miles on it. Have had no problems with it and serviced it per the maintence schedule. Trans flush at about 100k as well as timing belt etc. Everything by the book. Still runs like new and shifts as well. I know most come to complain on these forums but would like some honest feed back. I purchased it hopeing to get 250k miles out of it. Thanks for letting me be here.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd keep it. Sounds like it's serving you well. Car payments suck!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have a 2004

We have a 2004 EX - don't know if it's the "improved" transmission or not, but it's got just over 190K miles on it - no problems at all. We had some shifting roughness until I replaced the front and right-side motor mounts last week, not everything is back to normal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so here is my delima. Have been shopping around the new 2012 odys. Thought I might trade up so I started trying to find something wrong with my 04 ody that now has 148000 miles. Put an a rack to check out the suspension bushings etc and everything is fine and tight. Tires wearing nice and even, Michline Harmony with 85k miles on them and more to go. Aslo the trans shifts great, only whines a little. Long story short, I really have no reason to trade. This van is awsome so Ill just keep putting the miles on it. Not bragging, well maybe a little, but I think this is one of the best vehicles I have ever had. I guess when it quits Ill look for another. I know we here mostly bad stuff on these forums so just wanted to report some positive. That 4th gen odyssey will just have to wait.

·
Registered
305 Posts
How can I identify 2004's with the improved tranny? Do you know the VIN numbers of the good ones?

Does the tranny look any different? What can I look for?

I'd like to trade my 2002 for a good 2004.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a new Odyssey owner as matter of fact mine do not even run I am in the process of fixing my baby so my analysis is totally from the financial aspect, not knowing how much did you pay for your van new I will make some assumptions to drive my point home lets say you pay $30,000 for your van new. Most newer vehicles value depreciate in average $2,000 per year, you had your van for approximate 8 years so the deprecation alone is $16,000 if you can get $14,000 for your van if you sale it today you very much break even basically rented the car for 8 years no equity. At this point most likely you are on a break even point you stated that your Ody is on perfect mechanical condition in this scenario it makes perfect sense to keep your Odyssey. They are a lot of variables that were not taken in consideration for example maintenance cost, your personal situation for example if you van fails can you live with out it until it gets fix, peace of mind of reliability of a new car, interests pay if you financed the vehicle and many others variables. I just wanted to keep it simple for this explanation. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How can I identify 2004's with the improved tranny? Do you know the VIN numbers of the good ones?

Does the tranny look any different? What can I look for?

I'd like to trade my 2002 for a good 2004.

The service bulletin that I have indicates that the recall is for all trans before serial No. 5fnrl18..4b051620. My number is after this so I assume it was fixed before it left the factory. I purchased my ody in Late Sept, 2004 when the new 05s were on the lot. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It is tough decision. Everything depends on Financial situation. If you sell now, you get more or Later, you lose some.

I have ford with high miles. I kind of wish that i trade in sooner. Few problems with car, I got comfortable and keep car longer than i should have.

I am going to get reality check when it worth few hundred more than my ipad.

You might be in luck because some people willing to buy a car honda with 150 thousand miles.

It is hard. I know. No payment is nice (sigh).

I am not sure if i will do that again with high miles. My wife's 06 ody have over 110000 something. My goal to kick it out garage when it reach 150. I am really glad that Ody has good resale value.

Just little odd, We are more than willing to keep 01 Dodge caravan longer when it pass 250,000. We miss that van. We goes everywhere and long trip with that van. It still runs. We still kicking ourselves for giving it up(trade in caravan for ody). I guess that i am afraid to get some surprises from ody.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts