Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Same USB port for Apple Carplay and USB media drive?

9K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Adhika 
#1 ·
We just picked up a 2019 Elite. We are coming from a 2013 Sienna XLE. What I'm excited about is the ventilated seats, Apple Carplay, and playing media off a USB drive. I've been all over the manual and did some testing. Is it true that there's only 1 USB port for both Apple Carplay and USB media drive? Did I miss something? This is a huge design flaw. You mean to tell me I have to choose between using Apple Carplay or playing media off a USB drive for the kids? If so, I guess they're staying home.

I hope I missed something and that there are other USB ports in the van that can play media off a USB drive. I already tried a USB hub and it doesn't work.

#3 ·
yes i've tried a hub. i mentioned it in my last sentence. the phone charges but carplay says no device found. and the media browser says it cannot find a compatible device. really a bummer if there's no work around and IMO a huge design flaw. unless, they are advertising this a a big feature in the future versions of the car lol

#6 ·
that's such a bummer. wish this was a detail they didn't miss.

Out of curiosity was it a powered USB hub? Sometimes it’s a case that there is not enough juice to be able to connect to multiple devices and a powered hub may help?
it's not a powered USB hub. it's a usb3.0 hub. i noticed my phone was being charged while plugged in so it had enough power for that. the USB thumb drive is a usb2.0 stick and should not require much power to be read (i'm assuming). if i can find a powered usb hub, i'll try it out. but my guess is that this port is assigned multiple functionalities but can only use them one at a time (another assumption).

i only wanted to use media off the USB since i hate carrying discs. but i found that playing off USB, when you turn off the car, the file starts over and won't playback where you left off. the bluray/dvd player will playback where you left off. so it will work out anyway since i'll just bring discs once again but be able to use carplay at the same time.

still a bummer and hope the engineers at honda are aware and will address it in the future versions of the car. also, support playback where you left off when the car turns back on. shouldn't be difficult but one of those details that were overlooked.

#10 ·
I have that issue every time my son watches a show. Luckily he does not mind it. I have not invested in an autostart playback on the media, if such a thing exists.

I don't know about movies but I have copied about 10gb of music (mp3) to the hard drive.That's good enough for me for 12 hours drive.
It only works on certain types of music files. Cannot copy video files. I use basic .mpg file to play video via the thumbdrive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.