Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has a sample letter to Honda regarding the transmission issues that was successful in getting them to pay part of the repair.

I know mine is out of warranty but as an owner of several other Honda vehicles in the past I am very disappointed to have this issue and it could affect my future decision to purchase another Honda vehicle over a Toyota.

·
Registered
664 Posts
As long as you have a good service history. With your mileage you should be able to get them to comp up 50 percent or better. If not, just take it to an independent shop for a rebuild + a remote Filter + cooler.

Usually a bit cheaper than the Honda dealer route.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't trust the dealership all that much and have already went to an independent shop for the work. Just wondering if there is a chance of getting Honda to pay for some of the transmission. It's clearly a faulty design on their part and the fact they they didn't add a aux cooler or use a better synthetic fluid.

·
Registered
664 Posts
tmonter said:
I didn't trust the dealership all that much and have already went to an independent shop for the work. Just wondering if there is a chance of getting Honda to pay for some of the transmission. It's clearly a faulty design on their part and the fact they they didn't add a aux cooler or use a better synthetic fluid.
Dont tell Honda that. Keep it positive in nature, and tell them the cost and submit the reciept, records, etc. at the same time and they should kick back something. Typically, they only do goodwill through the dealer network. But if you keep it positive In nature they will be more likely to help you out.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I am not optimistic that American Honda will pay some of the bill for a rebuilt transmission from a non-Honda shop and non-Honda parts. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agreee with the post above. I highly doubt they will refund any of the cost from a non-Honda dealer repair shop. If you went through the dealer or Honda HQ before the repair, I think you would have had a good shot at getting a portion paid via goodwill.

Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Given the repeat failures people have had with Honda dealerships replacing transmissions I wasn't willing to go through that.

Additionally when I spoke with the technicians at the Honda dealer and asked questions about what the failures were inside the transmissions they could not give me a straight answer of what failed and why. This certainly didn't instill confidence in them replacing the unit for another $1400 ($3180 versus $4587) and less warranty.

I must say that if they don't end up stepping up to the plate it will say a lot towards the next vehicle we purchase and which manufacturer we choose to go with.

My wife and I drove the Sienna and Odyssey when looking and the Odyssey definitely drove nicer than the Sienna and our past experience with two Hondas pushed us to the Honda despite our reservations about the potential transmission issues with this year.

I will keep my letter constructive but will point out that their response will color my future purchasing decisions.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Totally understand what you are saying. Just saying when you approach honda try to maintain a positive note in your letter. Submit reciepts, records, and experience. They'll likely comp you something at the dealer like free fluid changes, etc.

·
Registered
539 Posts
If we're talking about Gen II vans here ('99-04), the chances of getting Honda to pick up any of the costs are getting slimmer by the day. We're talking about vehicles that are two design generations old here, and Honda has no interest in subsidizing their continued operation.

At the dealer while your van is in the back and the service writer is totalling up every last thing wrong so they can sledghammer you with a $5500 repair estimate, they want you looking at the new models out in the showroom. Then, after they pick you off the floor at the service counter and spash some water on you, they will offer you a generous trade-in and ask you to consider a new Honda.

Just reality . . .

Yes, Honda had serious design and quality issues with their V6/automatic combinations in the early 2000s, including Accords and Acuras as well. Water under the bridge at this point.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, Honda had serious design and quality issues with their V6/automatic combinations in the early 2000s, including Accords and Acuras as well. Water under the bridge at this point.
But it's not and that is the point. If Honda wants to claim to have quality vehicles and good customer services part of that is fixing problems on older vehicles especially since Honda touts the longevity of their vehicles and having one of the best ongoing resale values.

The job they are doing on rebuilding the transmissions they supply is obviously deficient quality wise. I think it's high time they man up and admit they have major issues and at least attempt to fix them.

Especially since many aftermarket transmission shops have found several improvements that solve most of the issue.

I know if Honda chooses not to assist me with my repair from their obviously defective product, my next purchase will be a Toyota or Subaru and not a Honda.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts