Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While written about my Accord, it applies to anyone with clear coated wheels and anyone buying new tires.

Awhile ago I posted concerns about Sams club installing uncoated wheel weights with a ball peen hammer and over long periods of time the combination causes severe corrosion under the weight ruining the wheels finish. (My other Hondas do not have any issue with weights installed by Honda and the dealer…only my Accord with Sams uncoated weights have shown to be an issue)

While I provided a lot of documentation from Honda and other OEMS about coated wheel weight requirements, Sams club and Walmart just didn’t care. In comparison, I asked if they could name any other part installed on any clear coated automotive part via ball peen hammer. I didn’t expect an answer.

Also, I ignored mushy and vague handling with the new tires thinking BFG changed their tire over the past few years. But actually, Sams installed T speed rating tires of my favorite T/A Traction tire. They said BFG no long makes V or even H rated tired for the T/A traction line so they put on T rated tires without saying a word to me.

#1 - DO NOT BUY T RATED TIRES FOR THE ACCORD. They may be safe, but there is a HUGE difference in handling and I'm comparing identical tires with only the speed rating being different.

#2 – DO NOT HAVE YOUR TIRES INSTALLED AT SAMS OR WALMART!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ouch.
Independent shop or Costco FTW!

For decent (as opposed to specialty/ultra-high performance summer) tires, I'd rather go to Costco. Costco won't install a lower speed-rated or lower load-rated tire than OEM.

Costco also does not use the grip weights on alloys.

FWIW, Costco installed the BFG Traction V-rated tires on our Ody several years ago, but no longer carries Tractions for the Ody.

·
Registered
665 Posts
You are dealing with Walmart and expect them to care about long-term quality? This is a company that gets its margin in volume and pennies. I garruantee you they won't listen when it comes to these wheel weights even though they cost just pennies more.

Try america's tire instead. You'll pay more, but you get way more in the long-run.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I second America's Tire, been using them for the last 5 vehicles, and you won't even pay more as they have always price matched.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You gotta use type "FN" wheel weights (or search for the weight that fits your particular wheel) -- or otherwise the tire buster guy will slap on a weight designed for a steel wheel (or whatever is convenient) that will gouge your wheel.

I got so disgusted that I bought a set of FN weights and I just replace the generic weight with my FN weights when I get home after balancing.

AA FN Coated Series Wheel Weight Kit (73-81PAK): All Tire Supply Company

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with don't get your tires from Sams club. I would like to also add that one of the sales person made our experience very unpleasant by his rudness. He also damaged the drivers seat in both of our cars which we could not prove. I guess that was his way of handling our complaint.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
#2 – DO NOT HAVE YOUR TIRES INSTALLED AT SAMS OR WALMART!!!

Never would.......that's like asking a Kindergarten teacher to help you with your Calc homework

1 - 7 of 7 Posts