Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this at the web site address below ; can this unit be connected to the standard Pioneer radio in the Ody to receive satellite radio ? Price is $ 209.00

Pioneer GEX-FM903XM Car Stereo Satellite Radio Package

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/simplycheap/piongexcarst.html

XM tuner module with built-in RF modulator controller/display unit with 6 presets source level adjustment matches XM output to FM level plays XM programming through an unused FM frequency on your radio XM Satellite Radio offers 100 channels of digital-quality music, news, sports, and entertainment XM-compatible antenna required to receive satellite signal (not included) tuner module: 8-11/16"W x 1-1/8"H x 6-5/16"D; control unit: 4-5/8"W x 1-9/16"H x 13/16"D 1-year warranty

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2002 LX:
.... plays XM programming through an unused FM frequency on your radio ...
</font>
XM is a better quality of broadcast. If you are going to route it through FM, then you are definitely going to degrade the quality of the msic. It won't be CD quality anymore.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> XM Satellite Radio offers 100 channels of digital-quality music, news, sports, and entertainment </font>
See the above point. Since this unit is only $209 and the traditional XM CD players are approx. $300 I would spend the extra $100 - $150 to preserve the digital-quality but then people tell me that I am picky

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
XM-compatible antenna required to receive satellite signal (not included)
</font>
Now about this antenna. How much would that be?? $100?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">XM is a better quality of broadcast. If you are going to route it through FM, then you are definitely going to degrade the quality of the msic. It won't be CD quality anymore.</font>
hehehe Once you play a CD in an Odyssey moving at 70mph, the sound that hits your ears isn't CD quality anymore.

Throw in some munchkins in the backseat, and....

One of the satellite players is going after strictly the car audio market, for obvious reasons. One is that's where the need is, the other is that's where the digital artifacts will be heard the least.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2002 LX.

I'm also pondering the XM Radio, although I haven't purchased an Ody yet. XM Radio equipment is currently being sold by Alpine, Pioneer and Sony. The Sony units are removable for use in car or home (if you spend the money) but also don't lend themselves to an in-dash mounting solution.

The model you mention in your first post is one I've been looking closely at, but it isn't clear whether the display/control unit is adaptable to in-dash mounting. They say surface-mountable or flush-mountable, whatever that means. Crutchfield doesn't seem to think it's a fit for the 2001 Ody, but who knows?

BTW, the rock-bottom price I've found for it is at Etronics ($187 + shipping)

<A HREF="http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=piogexfm903xm"TARGET=_blank>Pioneer GEX-FM903XM Universal FM-Modulated Digital Satellite Tuner</A></P>

Anyway, you can go to www.xmradio.com and see all the equipment available for XM Radio. Use a Google search on the model numbers, and you'll find plenty of links.

Oh, and one more thing. A company called Sirius is activating 3 satellites in February which will offer comparable service. The equipment will be sold by Kenwood, Panasonic, Clarion and Jensen. No prices avaliable for equipment yet that I'm aware of, but the subscription will be 12.95/month.

Regards.

[This message has been edited by NomoreFords (edited 12-26-2001).]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NoMoreFords,

Thanks for the info ; what about mounting it where the change draw is now in the Ody , just below the radio ? It already slides in and out on rails . Thinking I could mount it there and have access to aux. port in the radio. Presently have cassette and 6 disk changer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2002 LX,

I'm afraid I can't be of much help there, as I don't have the experience in mobile audio installs. Probably would have to ask around at local installers (if they gain some experience with this particular unit). Don't know how one would go about finding installation instructions/suggestions for various situations.

Take care.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
hehehe Once you play a CD in an Odyssey moving at 70mph, the sound that hits your ears isn't CD quality anymore.
</font>
That's if you haven't sound-proofed like Chuck, or added lots of extra power, like me!
It's all about noise floor and dynamic range!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2002 LX:
NoMoreFords,

Thanks for the info ; what about mounting it where the change draw is now in the Ody , just below the radio ? It already slides in and out on rails . Thinking I could mount it there and have access to aux. port in the radio. Presently have cassette and 6 disk changer.
</font>
2002LX, do you have stock cassette and in-dash changer or under seat changer? The reason I ask is if you still have the pocket underneath, you could do something like Rob did for the control module...

The tuner module can tuck away anywhere else you can find space; under a seat, up under the dash etc...

Good Luck!

p.s.- you mentioned Aux port, you mean using the FM modulator with factory, right? There is no Aux in on the factory radio, except for the CD changer, which is a proprietary digital bus. BTW, Panasonic makes the factory head unit, not Pioneer. If you have an aftermarket Pioneer, ignore these comments, but just get the 900, not the 903. You won't need the FM modulator built in to the 903.

Good Luck!

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts