Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my ODY from our local small town dealer (surprisingly, I had more luck purchasing an ODY from a small town dealer than a big city dealership). Our small town has 2 "clear" radio stations and both are not my type. That's the reason I buy a "lot" of CDs but I'm afraid I might wear out the CD player on my ODY at the rate I'm going. I have heard of Sattelite Radio Technology that is standard equipment on some "high-end" automobiles and was wondering if any ODY owners have considered it for their own ODY. I am still in the "research" phase but I am thinking of this option to add a little variety to my music....especially during the very long trips I take...it's nice to always have radio reception wherever I go. Here is one website I am looking at for those curious about Sattelite Radio. http://www.xmradio.com/ All comments are welcome. Thank you.

Fred

Nissan Altima '93
ODY '02

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I've looked at XM, but still am not there. Not convinced it will be around in the long run, first of all. Also, don't like the idea of a subscription, though programming is suppossed to be alot better (more content) than FM/AM broadcast. Finally, I think the equipment is still a bit pricey.

However, it may be a good choice for you, given your location and needs.

I use CD almost exclusively. If the Honda unit is truly manufactured by Panasonic, I'd tend to think the mechanism is going to be very reliable and you shouldn't have problems with constant use, for at least 3-5 years. Besides, aftermarket CD decks are so cheap, it's easy to replace if it goes bad.

My 0.01...
Sorry I can't help much.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Funny you should ask. I just posted my installation at the Vette Forum. See http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=200567 I wanted a portable unit for use in the house, Vette, and '02 RRP EXL-RES that I just ordered yesterday! For $120 per year, the cost is worth not being hit with commercials every 5 minutes. And I seldom listen to my CD's anymore! Go For IT!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Honda XM radio installation...

Anyone actually added on the Honda XM radio kit?
Took a look and it would appear to be a little messy since you have to route the antennae cable up along the side of the dash and then along the edge of the windshield. Looks like they locate the antenna right in the middle of the dashboard at the edge
that closest to the window (before it drops down to the defroster
vents)...
I would prefer to have the antenna located at the top of the
windshield (above the rear view mirror with the cable running
inside the headliner and down the cover on the windsheild pillar.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I don't care if XM or Sirius or whomever is around for the long run. I have XM in my Lexus, and I can move it to my Ody quite easily. The hardware cost is minimal, and there's a monthly cost associated with the programming.

The monthly cost is well worth it. If the service goes away, what am I out? The cost of the hardware--which is minimal.

There's no real reason to spend months studying it or to worry about the service going away. I've had XM for 3 years now, I do drive a bit, and I won't live without it now.

·
Registered
435 Posts
adam1991 said:
I don't care if XM or Sirius or whomever is around for the long run. I have XM in my Lexus, and I can move it to my Ody quite easily. The hardware cost is minimal, and there's a monthly cost associated with the programming.

The monthly cost is well worth it. If the service goes away, what am I out? The cost of the hardware--which is minimal.

There's no real reason to spend months studying it or to worry about the service going away. I've had XM for 3 years now, I do drive a bit, and I won't live without it now.

I'm with you on that. All I ended up buying was the antenna for my Ody and installed it myself. The module that I needed for my Sirius ready aftermarket deck was free. So, I'm not out much either if they do go belly up.
I really enjoy having it over the radio/CD player. There's just so much variety and you don't have to carry a library of CD's with you anymore, unless of course there's specific stuff you really want to hear.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Fredabu said:
I recently bought my ODY from our local small town dealer (surprisingly, I had more luck purchasing an ODY from a small town dealer than a big city dealership). Our small town has 2 "clear" radio stations and both are not my type. That's the reason I buy a "lot" of CDs but I'm afraid I might wear out the CD player on my ODY at the rate I'm going. I have heard of Sattelite Radio Technology that is standard equipment on some "high-end" automobiles and was wondering if any ODY owners have considered it for their own ODY. I am still in the "research" phase but I am thinking of this option to add a little variety to my music....especially during the very long trips I take...it's nice to always have radio reception wherever I go. Here is one website I am looking at for those curious about Sattelite Radio. http://www.xmradio.com/ All comments are welcome. Thank you.

Fred

Nissan Altima '93
ODY '02

Great stuff, I couldn't be more happy with it. I have the Sirius set up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We added the XM satellite radio in our 2004 Odyssey and love it. We had it already in our Accord and really missed it in the van..

We purchased the XM SkiFi and a boombox. We had the unit installed and the antenna is on the roof above the front windshield.. we paid extra for a special order holder for the XM unit so our XM is installed without making mounting holes in the van.

We get a lot of use out of it - it's great - it pops out of the holder and goes into the boombox to be used anywhere - we use it in our camping trailer. It's so nice to have beautiful reception no matter where you are and tons of stations to choose from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had XM for about a year and a half. It is great. We use the Delphi Skyfi setup so we can take it from the van to the house to the office. I bought the PIE connector and plugged it into the back of the Ody head unit. The antenna is placed at the back of the vehicle on the roof. I ran the wire down the drivers side through the panels. I have mounted my Delphi Skyfi car kit in the console box at the bottome of the dash. That way when it is closed everything is hidden.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Oh, yeah. I had one of those in the Accord. Works great.

I've since gone to the vent mount from Belkin. $7, and no hassle whatsoever.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Belkin mount blocks the vent - we didn't want to block the air or heat from the vent and also didn't want to take any chances of ruining the XM unit. The holder we used sticks out a little, but doesn't block the vents. Works for us.

In April we purchased the XM unit and boombox just before we took a trip to Texas from California... Loved it but the boombox sat on the rear seat (two middle seats taken out) and I used the remote control .. a little awkward - When we returned I took it to a local place and had it installed - Now it's fantastic.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Optional mounting points for antennae

Does that antenna have to be mounted on the roof or can it
be placed on the dash (like the Honda Model)/or stuck to the inside of the windsheild. MY GPS antenna works fine that way..
What about mounting it under the upper surface of the front bumper? Since its plastic it shouldn't interfer with the signal and
would be invisible to the oustide word (like an old remote mount
radar detector I had many moons/cars ago)...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
When I put the XM kit into the Ody, I just used a bit of velcro at the forward edge of the dash, under the windshield. I got a couple of cutouts, but nothing major. That's a great location for it.

Oddy2000, my Lexus has 3 air vents in the center of the dash. I just put the XM in front of the center one, leaving the other two to blow cold air out. Plus, it's not like the cold air won't get out; it will, even around the XM radio.

In addition, have you noticed how hot the SkyFi gets? I'm *happy* to have cool air blowing over it. Remember, these things are designed to take the serious abuse of extreme low and high temperatures inside the car. 140 degrees on a summer day--that's extreme. -20 degrees in the winter? Extreme.

I'm not worried about the A/C blowing on a unit that gets hot during use anyway.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Adam

You probably are right - we just didn't want to chance it. I haven't noticed how hot the unit gets. Ours is not hot when we take it out of the holder.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have both in my truck and whatever minivan we get will have both. I prefer Sirius for Music and XM for MLB.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Have had XM since December. Unit is vent mounted. AC, which I'm just starting to use again, is probably good for the unit, but I'll look for another solution if it doesn't cut down on cooling.

I obsessed lots about where to mount the antenna, but went for the dash. I put it on a Jelly Pad

http://www.handstands.com/retail/sales_sheets/jellystickypad.shtml

and it hasn't budged once in four months. Reception has been quite good, but it might be because I live in a city with repeaters that provide a horizontal wave path rather than a sky to earth path. It will be interesting to see how the reception is when I'm heading north through rural areas of Maine this summer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts