Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) We recently returned from a trip to the Dallas area last week 1043 miles each way from our home here in Cassopolis Michigan . As an experiment we drove the entire trip on the freeways at 55 miles per hour a total of 2409 miles for the trip including some city driving around in Dallas . It did not seem to take any longer on this trip we always take 3 days but I am sure it was a little longer . It was a very relaxing trip and I am convinced it was safer too! rather than driving alongside the big trucks and the packs of cars they passed us by quickly.In the past our normal speed on this trip is 65 to 70 MPH and our gas milage right around 20 mpg at those speeds with the same Odyssey.Driving 55 this time our milage shot up to an amazing 27.23 overall trip average including the Dallas city driving! the very best on a single fill up was 29.4 mpg and the worst was when we had a terrific headwind we got 25.3 mpg on that one fill up . Overall savings IN OUR POCKET on this trip was $114.00 or 32 GALLONS of gas saved by driving 55 . This was figuring an average gas price of $3.63 per gallon . The most we payed for gas was $3.87 and the least was $3.45 . So the Odyssey can get VERY GOOD gas milage you just have to slow down to 55 to get it . We are now driving 55 all the time on the highways saving gas ,saving money helping the USA , helping the environment and enjoying a much lower stress driving experience .
:DD:coolio: Diane and Bob

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice :coolio:

I recently got 28mpg driving 70-80 mph on the highway. I was very happy with that result.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think saving gas is very important and noble, but please weigh that against road safety.
On a freeway with 70 mph limit, the prevailing speed would be at least 70 mph.
A car traveling at 15 mph below the prevailing speed would create potential hazards for the other cars approaching from the rear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think saving gas is very important and noble, but please weigh that against road safety.
On a freeway with 70 mph limit, the prevailing speed would be at least 70 mph.
A car traveling at 15 mph below the prevailing speed would create potential hazards for the other cars approaching from the rear.
+1
While your efforts are very noble, I, too, think it is dangerous.
I drive 70 on the Interstate...Most people drive closer to 80.
Someone driving 80 while changing the radio station will catch up to the rear of a car doing 55 VERY fast. I see it all the time--slamming on the brakes, swerving into the other lanes--it has the potential to be very dangerous.
I wish we would all drive 55, like you said, it is very relaxing.
Unfortunately, you need to keep your speed near the prevailing speed. Otherwise you may get rear-ended by a car traveling 25 mph faster than you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You get your best possibly mileage by using cruise control because your driving at a steady pace. Driving 55 in a 65 mph zone makes you a moving road block. Other drivers get annoyed and will try very hard to get around you. Thats when it get dangerous. Please do do yourself and everyone else a favor by safely driving with the flow of traffic. BTW dont cruise in the left lane.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Highway mpg is good on these......where they fail is mixed and in town...not even close to epa

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
I don't much like driving fast fast. One thing I learned from my LEO friends is that American drivers tend to drive in "packs" on freeways, like a bunch of lemmings. They say the safest way to drive is a few mph (or km/h) below the prevailing traffic speed. Simply staying at the posted speed limit is the easiest way to do this.

You'll spend more time in the clear spaces that are "in between packs" of drivers, you don't often catch up to somebody (unless it's a light vehicle towing something heavy, or a heavy tractor trailer in hilly areas), and thus you can maintain speed with the cruise control. This equates to considerable fuel savings.

Eventually a pack of cars will slowly catch up to you, and they have to negotiate lanes of traffic to get around you...but as related to me, that's their challenge to resolve, not yours, because you are driving the speed limit.

I get great road trip mileage doing this.

OF

·
Registered
96 Posts
Highway mpg is good on these......where they fail is mixed and in town...not even close to epa
AGREED!!!:( In-town is CRAP!! (sucks 'cuz THAT'S 80% of my driving). Highway, pretty good. Even at 75-80 MPH. God, but I HATE crossing Toronto!:nervous:

Oh well, it's a BIG vehicle! :DD

Regards,
Shea:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't much like driving fast fast. One thing I learned from my LEO friends is that American drivers tend to drive in "packs" on freeways, like a bunch of lemmings. They say the safest way to drive is a few mph (or km/h) below the prevailing traffic speed. Simply staying at the posted speed limit is the easiest way to do this.

You'll spend more time in the clear spaces that are "in between packs" of drivers, you don't often catch up to somebody (unless it's a light vehicle towing something heavy, or a heavy tractor trailer in hilly areas), and thus you can maintain speed with the cruise control. This equates to considerable fuel savings.

Eventually a pack of cars will slowly catch up to you, and they have to negotiate lanes of traffic to get around you...but as related to me, that's their challenge to resolve, not yours, because you are driving the speed limit.

OF
That's exactly how I cruise on the interstates. I always have a nice buffer zone in front of me and usually to the rear. A speed limit of 65 and I drive 72. Speed limlt of 70 and I go 72. 75 mph limit and I drive that speed. It works great for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice! Odysseys are definitely capable of some good gas mileage under the right foot. (Get it?)

yeah. A few years ago, my dad managed two or three full tanks of 29+ MPG each on a road trip around the US. We were pretty happy about that.

·
Registered
9 Posts

OF
where are you from? I live out there in Okie land too, not far from the Red River! Im up in Tulsa area though. By the way, what is a lemming?

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
where are you from? I live out there in Okie land too, not far from the Red River! Im up in Tulsa area though. By the way, what is a lemming?
Out in Altus (just like Tulsa, with the letters re-arranged...I wish) :DD Two Odys, big family, glad to be here instead of Los Angeles.

Here's a lemming:

They sometimes migrate, clustered together in large groups, which I imagine would be a sight to see.

I'd say your Ody would get great highway mileage, even when loaded with a bunch of lemmings. :tongue:

OF

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just completed a round trip West Monroe LA to Tuscaloosa Alabama in my 03 Odyssey and averaged 25.2 mpg with A/C on and cruise set at 72mph. I think that is pretty darn good for a Van with 140,000 miles on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts