Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, thank you to all who contribute and maintain this wonderful site. The valuable information this site has is incredible. Unfortunately, the experience with Honda Corp. and Honda Odyssey is quite different. It was horrible!
After getting into an accident because of bad brakes, as well as tranny shuddering, whining sound, steering wheel vibration, bad mounts, bad axles...I said, enough.
I traded my '08 EX-L/RES last night. I lost money due to damage, but I just want a safer vehicle for my family. Thank you and
Happy Holidays to all of you and be safe.
By the way... I will have a few parts for sale. Check out the for sale section in a few days or PM me to find out.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yep, join the club. My 2004 EX-L with ONLY 102,000 (which ran great) lost its tranny also. I took good care of it but it let me down big time.
I decided instead of tossing 3-4k in a van with over 100k miles.....we'd trade er in.
We got a 2011 Sienna. I still am a fan of Honda, just NOT the new "Oddy" at all. It just plain looks bad. And, untill Honda can figure out how to make the van reliable....Im sticking with Toyota. I have at least 4 friends that has siennas....NONE of them have had any real issues to speak of. All of them are 2005 and older with over 100k on the mileage.
I hope to be as fortunate.
Another nice thing...The new sienna has a sealed "do not touch" tranny with synthetic "ws" fluid in it. Suffice to say....I wont be needing to do those ridiculous drain and fills every 30k. That was my biggest complaint withg honda. Is it that difficult to make a tranny like every other Japanese brans that has near bullitt proof reliability that one doesnt have to drain and fill an insane amount of times?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kscha41 said:
So what did you end up buying?
I bought an ML350. Since my mom and my wife's grandma doesn't stay with us anymore... we don't need an 8 seater. I miss the space of the odyssey, but not the headache

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
skjfire, I thought about getting the sienna as well, but we don't need an 8 seater anymore.
it's amazing how other car companies can produce a tranny that don't need maintenance and a 6 speed with a gas milage to boot but, honda can't.
also, how long does it take for them to realize that their tranny is crap as well as the brakes. are they waiting for someone to die or get paralyzed because the van did not stop? The van is over 4500 lbs (dry) for crying out loud! Honda has no regards to the safety of my family. I can not put my family's lives in peril every time I strap them in. By the way, this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Pretty charged hyperbole.

IIHS has consistently rated the Odyssey "top pick." Insurance costs on an Odyssey are among the lowest both overall and its class--the true test of whether a vehicle is safe because its based on real world accident data. A consumer has to weight that verses a comment like this.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for people, but...I'd be curious to know the exact circumstance of that accident. If you really think it was solely due to bad brakes, in all seriousness--I'd sue them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hanz said:
skjfire, I thought about getting the sienna as well, but we don't need an 8 seater anymore.
it's amazing how other car companies can produce a tranny that don't need maintenance and a 6 speed with a gas milage to boot but, honda can't.
also, how long does it take for them to realize that their tranny is crap as well as the brakes. are they waiting for someone to die or get paralyzed because the van did not stop? The van is over 4500 lbs (dry) for crying out loud! Honda has no regards to the safety of my family. I can not put my family's lives in peril every time I strap them in. By the way, this is just my opinion.
I didnt have any brake issues but the whole tranny thing just left a horrible taste in my mouth.
We were stuck on I77 for 2 hours waiting for a tow truck...
Here you have Honda, who cant make the tranny reliable. From what ive heard..It still isnt up to par with others. My van got tranny flushes every 30k, sometimes even more often using z-1. You STILL have to do these 30k flushes in the new tranny as well. Thats just insane.
Certainly Honda could get a tranny like Toyota that is sealed and according to some research (C.R.) VERY VERY reliable.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, I understand the frustration on the transmission. It just seems to me that its largely been fixed over the years--I see that you have an '04. I had to have my torque converter software reprogrammed, but never had any other problems in my '07, and some of my neighbors are going strong at 100k plus on their '05 and '06's and have never had a transmission issue.

I never had mine flushed...asked about it once and the dealer says they only do that in rare circumstances...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
MFLetou said:
Pretty charged hyperbole.

IIHS has consistently rated the Odyssey "top pick." Insurance costs on an Odyssey are among the lowest both overall and its class--the true test of whether a vehicle is safe because its based on real world accident data. A consumer has to weight that verses a comment like this.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for people, but...I'd be curious to know the exact circumstance of that accident. If you really think it was solely due to bad brakes, in all seriousness--I'd sue them.
well, that is exactly the reason why i bought one. it supposed to be a reliable car. unfortunately, it did not work for me. other than those issues, we love the car. but you can not say it is a good car if you consistently have bad brakes and bad transmission.
about the accident...a woman on the phone while driving cut in front of me. you can disregard the accident. but come on now, we all know it's a common problem. it is bound to happen. you should be thankfull you don't have my problems.
my question to myself was... how many times do i have to bring it back for them to get the brakes fixed?
before getting rid of the car i consider a lot of things i.e money, time lost etc. but in the end it is the safety of my family. it is something i ca not ignore.
just like SKJFIRE said, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Look, I don't blame you for doing what you need to do...but...no, I don't know that its a common problem. Honestly, besides you I've never even heard of a Odyssey's having a braking problem. My 2007 had 45k miles and was still on its first pair--we never had any problems, performance or otherwise. (And believe me, I have plenty of experience with braking problems in cars--you wouldn't even believe the story I could tell you about our 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx if I told you). My father has a 2009 Chrysler Town and County and he's had braking problems, including needing new ones at under 15k (and he drives like the 75 year old he is, so it was ridiculous.)

But Odysseys? Honestly, no. I know that in stopping tests, it could be a few feet better, but the data I saw put it fairly average, and in the various publication road tests over the years, there was not excessive fade reported that I recall. I know in the 2011, one of the tests specifically remarked that there was remarkably little fade between the first and the 5th 60-0 test. And I think it was about a foot behind Sienna which places it right in range.

Now, the transmission issue, yes, obviously I've heard plenty about that. Obviously you apparently had braking problems, but that's just not that common. Perhaps you had a very bad service department?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
MFLetou said:
Look, I don't blame you for doing what you need to do...but...no, I don't know that its a common problem. Honestly, besides you I've never even heard of a Odyssey's having a braking problem. My 2007 had 45k miles and was still on its first pair--we never had any problems, performance or otherwise. (And believe me, I have plenty of experience with braking problems in cars--you wouldn't even believe the story I could tell you about our 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx if I told you). My father has a 2009 Chrysler Town and County and he's had braking problems, including needing new ones at under 15k (and he drives like the 75 year old he is, so it was ridiculous.)

But Odysseys? Honestly, no. I know that in stopping tests, it could be a few feet better, but the data I saw put it fairly average, and in the various publication road tests over the years, there was not excessive fade reported that I recall. I know in the 2011, one of the tests specifically remarked that there was remarkably little fade between the first and the 5th 60-0 test. And I think it was about a foot behind Sienna which places it right in range.

Now, the transmission issue, yes, obviously I've heard plenty about that. Obviously you apparently had braking problems, but that's just not that common. Perhaps you had a very bad service department?
Then... your odyssey is one of the good ones. consider yourself lucky.
Lol. i know about the town and country as well. i don't mind if the car eat brakes like a mother f*@#er, at least it stops.
do a search on soft brakes and it will show like 80 + pages of it. from TSB, recall, and NHTSA investigation it's all in there.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hanz said:
I bought an ML350. Since my mom and my wife's grandma doesn't stay with us anymore... we don't need an 8 seater. I miss the space of the odyssey, but not the headache
WOW. Those have a track record of bad reliability though?

I assume something else was at play in your decision.

·
Registered
98 Posts
jondotcom said:
WOW. Those have a track record of bad reliability though?

I assume something else was at play in your decision.
Yeah--if he thought his Ody was unreliable...ha. Look at CR ratings on those things. Well, at least Mercedes will probably give him a loaner. Maybe over time he can request his favorite one. since he'll be using it so much..:)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
MFLetou said:
Yeah--if he thought his Ody was unreliable...ha. Look at CR ratings on those things. Well, at least Mercedes will probably give him a loaner. Maybe over time he can request his favorite one. since he'll be using it so much..:)
The difference between the best and worst rated vehicles is negligible these days. CR has to keep the drama high otherwise they wouldn't have relevance.

Given the direction Honda is going I don't give them much credit on the reliability front. They make good vehicles...but so do many others these days. Ody has common brake complaints (TSB and recalls) , persistent power steering component failures, and torque converter issues. Not exactly anything I would brag about or even attempt to compare to a vehicle I knew nothing about beyond what CR spits out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MFLetou said:
I don't think my ody was unreliable... coz it was unreliable. I am not the only one complaining about this. There are a few of us in this forum. Just like what I said... search and you will see.

yeah I know what Cr said about the ML. But the test is based on what... 100 owners out of thousands? I will not put too much wieght on their report either, since it was not based on their actaul test. I like the forums like this one instead. Unfortunately, i joined this forum after i bought mine.
Plus, their loaner program is very good as well. I don't mind it at all. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts