Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about what to use on the fabric to protect the seats from various spills, etc., and I think I remember that Scotchguard was said to be unsafe, it soaks into your fabric or something? Anyone have any knowledge about this or have recommendations of safe alternatives?

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's not unsafe for your fabric, it might be unsafe for you. There's a thread lying around here somewhere with links.

I'm still waiting for my van (was supposed to be here over the weekend), but when it comes, I'll be using Vectra.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is Vectra? How effective and safe is it?

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
I first used it about two years ago, after buying a dining room set. I had also just purchased a living room set and payed hundreds to have it scotchguarded.

I read in another online forum (Clark Howard, the consumer activist, at ClarkHoward.com, about Vectra. Someone was asking if scotchguarding was worth it, and the reply was that vectra was better. So I did a little net searching, and generally found positive attitudes about Vectra. I picked up a container at Home Depot for around $25, and it was way more than enough to do the dining room (since it was only six cusions).

So far, so good, although I haven't had any disasters to make me have to really try it out.

I think the prices are up to $29 for the size container I got (not sure of the amount, I'm at work right now). There is a Vectra Spray website. It's kind of a cheesy market-speak website, but they will send you a brochure and a "treated" item, so you can test it out yourself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can't find Vectra Spray at Home Depot in Cincinnati! Have tried some other places also. Any more suggestions. Have called their 800 number..waiting for reply...but want to spray it tomorrow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You know what - I can't find Vectra at my Home Depot, either. I guess it wasn't enough of a brand name - everybody walks in and asks for scotchguard.

I will order from them, though, because I think it's better, and there are marginal safety concerns with scotchguard, although I consider them very minor.

·
Registered
84 Posts
gfxguy,
Did you Vectra your Ody yet? My real question is, did you or do you plan on applying it to the head-liner, too??

I got the little sample via the website, so I ordered a quart on the 8th. They were hard to get on the phone, had to try a couple of days. Then they wanted to charge $5.95 for shipping, and when I questioned why the order form said $3.00 for shipping... they griped a bit then honored the $3.00. Well, I got it today _sans_ the spray applicator! So, I called them up & did some griping of my own. They said they would make it good and send me the applicator. But, I don't want to wait another week, so I'm vacuuming and getting it ready now... thinking I'll just pour some in a spray bottle, ...so what do you think, good or bad idea for use on head-liner??

Best Regards,
Skybolt

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well. I'm all Vectra-ed! Just washed out an empty Z-6 bottle, and poured the Vectra in that... made a great spray applicator. If anyone else is going to try it, definitely go with the quart sized Vectra for the Ody... I used it all. But I did a thorough job, even _under_ the seats & _under_ the headrests, LOL. But there is lots of material to cover if you take out the mats and do the floor, then put back in the mats to do again to cover them. Plus, I took out the dash cover and did that, too, then put it back in. Also, after doing all the seats, I later put the four seat cushions back in and did those, so it was almost like doing the seats twice. I did do the arm rests twice.

Those who decide to do it, you can do the head-liner, too. I thought it would be nice to do, in case I later wanted to try and wash the headliner. That fuzzy head-liner makes me nervous on how it would take a cleaning after a couple years. The Vectra is supposed to make stuff repel liquids, so I fiqured if it was treated when new, it would handle a wash job better a couple years down the road.

Anyway, I thought I ruined the light colored head-liner after I started on that. It went kinda of splotchy on me when I did over the passenger seat and the passenger's sun visor. I stopped and thought I just stained & ruined it!! Then about 15 minutes, the blotchy-ness had completely faded away as it dried... so I did the other sun visor and the rest of the entire head-liner, and am a happy camper again.

So... to answer my previous question: YES, you can safely Vectra your headliner too, ...it'll scare you just a little bit, 'cause unlike the rest it will look a little blotchy until it dries.

Anyway, now our Ody is now both grandkid & grandpa proof! Anyone wanna have a soda fizz fight?? (grin)

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hi,
Labor day really was "labor" for me.

Clayed, Z-1-ed, Z-2-ed, Z-6-ed, z-2-ed, z-6-ed my Ody as well as VECTRA stain treated the interior. I ordered via phone, got the 32oz bottle, stain remover, and the free spray nozzle.

Did a job like Skybolt, minus the headliner, and it seems to work great (tried some water on it and it repels like crazy!)

The best part is this stuff doesn't smell bad like Scotchguard. Granted, I worked outside, in a well ventilated area, but no harsh chemical smell. Just mist it on and it dries up really fast!

Having done this job, I can recommend it on ease of use. I'd just say be a little carefull about not getting too much on the plastics, as it is filmy when wet, and a little tough wiping off.

After a year of abuse by my 2 year old, I'll let everyone know how it holds up.

Thanks gfxguy for the tip!

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Shinjohn,

So how does it look?? In particular, how much difference do you notice after the second Z-2/Z-6 cycle?

Mel

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:
Shinjohn,

So how does it look?? In particular, how much difference do you notice after the second Z-2/Z-6 cycle?

Mel
</font>
Second Z-2/Z-6 cycle was definitely worth it. The biggest thing I noticed is that the slickness seemed to be quite higher after the second coat. Also looks "wetter" than it ever has.

Since many have already posted pics of their cars w/ Zaino, I have not, but I'll try and post one tonight to show you. My van is DEP, and this stuff is just incredible on the darker color.

Oh, one last comment is that I've been used to using carnauba wax as a final protective coat when I used Meguire's, and was a little weary about not using it as a final step after Zaino. No doubts now, this finish is top notch, and rock solid. I remember the constant touch up I needed with carnauba to keep it looking good, to remove smudges, etc.. ad finitum. I don't think that's gonna be necessary any more. Just a little Z-6 every so often and then a coat of Z-2 every 6 months. That's my plan...

Hope this helps.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
......as well as VECTRA stain treated the interior. I ordered via phone, got the 32oz bottle, stain remover, and the free spray nozzle...</font>
Shinjohn,

After 3 months, are you happy with the Vectra?

Thanks!

Maugham

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
Shinjohn,

After 3 months, are you happy with the Vectra?

Thanks!

Maugham
</font>
So far, so good. Seems to work fine. My daughter has spilled some stuff in the car, and it blotted up easily. Have some small dirt stains on the floor mats now that it has started raining in the Bay. Gonna try this weekend to see if they come up easier than before. Will report back again after I try.

------------------
-SJ (former username: shinjohn)
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can speak to the headliner (assuming they do not change all that much over the years). One of the reasons I drenched my new Odyssey in Scotchguard (or your choice) was seeing stains appear on the headliner of my 96' Odyssey.

------------------
1996 & 2002EX Odyssey w/towing package, "wood package", SS (Starlight Silver), Mud flaps, rear cargo "tray".

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ya musta had some wild parties in there!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shindog:
Have some small dirt stains on the floor mats now that it has started raining in the Bay. Gonna try this weekend to see if they come up easier than before. Will report back again after I try.
</font>
I'm happy with Vectra at this point. Had some black grease/oil/dirt stains on the floor mats. Whipped out the Little Green Machine this weekend, and all stains came out, just with a little hot water and a tiny bit of solution. No carpet stain cleaner needed. Hopefully this holds up... If not no big deal, I'll retreat the mats next year!

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
105 Posts
No 'wild parties' but I have let my kids play in the van now and then.

------------------
1996 Odyssey 120,000 miles
2002EX Odyssey w/towing package
http://www.homestead.com/weaverhouse/index.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts