Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 EX-L makes a scraping noise as the wheel rotates during a sharp right turn, like when pulling into a parking space. The scrape sound seems to match the speed of the rotating wheel.

It sounds like the scraping comes from the driver's side front wheel.

I have been doing some searching/reading here on the forum and maybe it is bad bearings?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Jack the driver's front wheel up off the ground, with the trans in neutral, the parking brake set and the back wheels chocked. See if you can replicate the squeaking sound by rotating the driver's front wheel.

I wouldn't be suprised if you are at the wear indicator for that wheel's brake pad. If you have a frozen caliper slider on this wheel it will make the brake lining wear faster than the other positions. I had this happen on our Maxima. Another tell tale sign is if this wheel is dirtier than the other positions with brake dust. Again an indication that the pads are always in contact with the rotor and not releasing when the brakes are not applied. And this symptom would be consistent with the squeaking matching the wheel's speed especially noticeable at slow/low speeds.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have just purchased a 2003 and have noticed the same type of issue. please let me know if you come up with anything, as i am currently occupied with the common power lock and window issues. thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jack the driver's front wheel up off the ground, with the trans in neutral, the parking brake set and the back wheels chocked. See if you can replicate the squeaking sound by rotating the driver's front wheel.

I wouldn't be suprised if you are at the wear indicator for that wheel's brake pad. If you have a frozen caliper slider on this wheel it will make the brake lining wear faster than the other positions. I had this happen on our Maxima. Another tell tale sign is if this wheel is dirtier than the other positions with brake dust. Again an indication that the pads are always in contact with the rotor and not releasing when the brakes are not applied. And this symptom would be consistent with the squeaking matching the wheel's speed especially noticeable at slow/low speeds.

Just a thought.
Even without doing the check you recommend, the idea of brake wear seems logical. I have yet to have any brake work done on the vehicle and I'm at 83K+. I was planning to have specific brake inspection done at the next service visit because I'm expecting something must need to be done by now.

·
Registered
349 Posts
JB let me tell you. No distrespect meant by the following comments to the ladies on this forum as this is equally capable of coming from a male. But it has taken me the better part of 20 years of marriage to condition my wife to tell me when she hear, feels or senses something isn't right with our vehicles. We both drive a lot and our vehicles are our life lines. So they need to perform period.

Any way the last eposide was what she thought was a front wheel bearing. Praying that it wasn't as it's a press fit bearing on the 4h gen Maxima's I took a look at it. I'm here to tell you I could bearing replicate the noise by doing what I suggested to to you. The wear indicator was only hitting on, as you would imagine, the high spots on the rotor and since the assembly was cool during my inspection it just bearing was dragging. But new pads and rotors later Bob's was my Uncle and the noise was gone. One of the slider pins was froze in the caliper and it caused the brake pad to wear prematurely (heavy brake dust on one wheel was the clue here, duh).

Any who hope this cures your situation as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At service stop today, the scraping noise in my original post was fixed. Description in my write-up was:

"Rust on rotors Pull back left side backing plate, was rubbing and front right disc because of rust buildup."

Otherwise the wear on the front brake linings was good, 6 millimeters on the report.

·
Registered
87 Posts
72triple -

Just had a similar issue on mine. I was getting a grinding sound front the driver's side front wheel when making right-hand turns. I jacked the front end up and checked the bearings (hold wheel at 6 and 12 and check for movement), but they looked good. Then I pulled the wheel and saw the brake pads were down to nothing on the drivers side (inner and outer). For as low as the brake pads were, I was amazed that the sound only appeared on turns. Changed the rotors and pads yesterday, and now the grinding sound is gone. Much happier to replace rotors/pads than wheel bearings (and far cheaper, too!).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts