Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month ago I started hearing this strange intermittent scraping and rattle sound mainly when accelerating from a dead stop. It sounded at times like something was sliding back and forth inside the passenger door or right sliding door. A loose wire or screw or? After emptying out all the door pockets, glovebox, and console the sound was still occurring.

A friend road with me and thought the sound was coming from under the passenger seat. So later I checked under the seat for anything possibly loose and found nothing. I then stated banging my hand against the passenger door and heard nothing. Going lower I banged the bottom frame and the plastic trim panel from the mud flap going backwards and heard something bounce.

Looking under the van I was surprised to see the plastic panel that runs down the van had about an 1.5 inch gap between it and the frame. It is effectively a long shelf. Running my fingers down the gap I found a 1/2 or so long rock along with a surprising amount of dirt, grass, ? crap. After removing the rock and some of the crap the scraping sound is gone. I routinely drive down a really steep hill coming to several stops so the rock would slide forwards when I was braking harder then start sliding backwards when accelerating.

I have mud flaps so stuff is getting kicked up by the tires and landing on the shelf. For those that drive a lot on unpaved surfaces, if you hear a strange scraping sound you might check the shelf. I also wonder about salt buildup over time if they salt your roads.

Here are some pictures of what I found.

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Asphalt Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Wood Tire Grey Automotive exterior

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
After removing the rock and some of the crap the scraping sound is gone.
Could you purchase a foam wrap for 1/2" water pipe and cut-off pieces to fit tightly into these slots?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That could be a quick fix. I am going to try and remember to rinse the shelf off with a hose during my next hand wash job.

Could you purchase a foam wrap for 1/2" water pipe and cut-off pieces to fit tightly into these slots?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts