Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still getting used to the poor visibility when backing up my '02 RP EX. Backed into a parking sign the other rainy night and nearly had a heart attack! Pushed it over at a 45 degree angle and was afraid to look. Figured I would be replacing the bumper. Not too bad though. 2 minor surface dings in the bumper and one in the metal right above the tail light. Been touching it up with paint and sanding with 1000 grit paper. Still need to level off the paint. Going to spray some clear coat to finish it off. Any suggestions or comments?

------------------
-------------------------
Doug
Waiting no more!
'02 EX RRP
'92 Accord

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yup, I feel your pain. The other day I backed into a shopping cart. Left a 2 inch scratch. Only thing to do is touch it up and tell yourself that it won't be the last scratch you'll get. As the days move on, it'll be less and less of an issue.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That's why installing a reverse aid system is the most sensible and economical way to go. Just like radar detector, one ticket makes you wish you have had install one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have needed to touch up deep scratches on the bumper but never tried the 1000 grit sandpaper and clearcoat. How well does that work? Next week I am getting a new bumper installed thanks to a rear end collision just before Christmas. I guess that is why they call them bumpers. Unfortunately the rear hatch was dented also. Hope the body shop does a good job. Repair estimate is $1500.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I thought maybe I'd bring up the bumper repair issue again and see if anyone here has any bright ideas. The other day we backed into a low retaining wall and gouged the corner of the rear bumper rather substantially. It's a series of parallel scratches, really, but all in all looks unsightly. Unfortunately nothing is cheap when it comes to body repair. Got three estimates yesterday: two were for about $500 to repair, and one body shop just said not to worry about trying to repair it, but instead we should replace the bumper to the tune of $730.

Some folks have advocated sanding it down oneself and using touch-up paint - is this do-able? Those of you who've tried it, does it work OK?

Thing I'm worried about is spending 500 bucks now, only to turn around and have another "ding" in a month or so for another $500. Any and all responses appreciated!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sandpaper touching my Oddy???

I've used rubbing compound with clearcoat on my older cars 1991 and 1996, but I wouldn't dare trust myself to use it (or sandpaper) on my new Oddy. Although I have been successful in removing minor scratches and scuffs, I can always tell where I did the work...even though most people wouldn't be able to tell. When I think about having to use rubbing compound or sandpaper on my new Oddy I cringe...but hopefully I won't feel that way in a few years when I need to do some touchup.

Does someone have the procedures for doing it right? I have two methods depending on how evasive I need to get, but I made up the procedures myself so only test this on a very old car first.

First "manual"
1. Using rubbing compound and moist rag, I swirl the area where the scratch is located.
2. Thorougly wash and dry area
3. Lightly spray clear coat...let dry
4. Swirl the rubbing compound again and buff out to a gloss.

Second "electric buff"
1. Using rubbing compound on a moist sponge electric buffer or attachment for drill, buff out scratch.
2. Thoroughly wash and dry area.
3. Because this dulls the paint and clearcoat in that area, you have to use clear coat...let dry (sometimes I repeat clear coat application).
4. Using more rubbing compound, buff the area to a gloss.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts