Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am planning a 500 mile trip in the coming weeks in my 2006 Odyssey with~220k miles. Transmission was rebuilt at ~140k. Need some advice on resolving a noise that started about 5k miles ago before I am comfortable taking this van on a road trip.
Does anyone have experience with a scratching noise at low speeds? It sounds like metal to metal contact similar to the noise from sharpening a knife. It only occurs at low speeds and only when there is load (accelerating, not when the car is coasting or braking). When the noise starts I have to depress the gas pedal to make it go away.
The two possible causes from my knowledge can be:
1. Transmission - fluid hasn’t been changed since the transmission was rebuilt. I’m going to do a drain and refill cycle next weekend
2. Wheel bearings

· Premium Member
318 Posts
Check that the rotor backing plates are not rubbing.
Totally is the case on my 2005! sounds like a damn choo choo. I thought it was from lack of use and it was rust build up, but what I realized is I need front wheel bearings. No noise from bearing below 30MPH so around town I almost never hear it, but at highway speed it sounds like studded tires. At first I thought it was slipped belts or flat spots on tires, so I rotated tires front to rear (still exact noise) then NEW tires on front (still exact noise). Bottom line front wheel bearings in slightly failing have allowed wheel (and rotor) to SLIGHTLY move towards steering knuckle a couple MM (there is almost no clearance) with no problems. In my case I want to do a tranny fluid change or two and see how it behaves before I drop $1000-$1500 on front wheel bearings (should do pair) If the Transmission has any issues it would in effect total the van from a $ issue.

So you likely need front wheel bearings, nasty PITA job (if not I would do it myself) have to remove steering knuckles to press out old bearing and press in new one. them reassemble and realign. I have not asked a local mechanic yet, but one dealer said "about $800 a side" (second much further away dealer said $860 "soup to nuts, everything even alignment" for both sides, all Honda parts. (Rockingham Honda). Guess which one I would use...

· Registered
1,811 Posts
Totally is the case on my 2005! sounds like a damn choo choo. I thought it was from lack of use and it was rust build up, but what I realized is I need front wheel bearings. No noise from bearing below 30MPH so around town I almost never hear it, but at highway speed it sounds like studded tires. At first I thought it was slipped belts or flat spots on tires, so I rotated tires front to rear (still exact noise) then NEW tires on front (still exact noise). Bottom line front wheel bearings in slightly failing have allowed wheel (and rotor) to SLIGHTLY move towards steering knuckle a couple MM (there is almost no clearance) with no problems. In my case I want to do a tranny fluid change or two and see how it behaves before I drop $1000-$1500 on front wheel bearings (should do pair) If the Transmission has any issues it would in effect total the van from a $ issue.

So you likely need front wheel bearings, nasty PITA job (if not I would do it myself) have to remove steering knuckles to press out old bearing and press in new one. them reassemble and realign. I have not asked a local mechanic yet, but one dealer said "about $800 a side" (second much further away dealer said $860 "soup to nuts, everything even alignment" for both sides, all Honda parts. (Rockingham Honda). Guess which one I would use...
Talk to your local mechanic, my mechanic did it for about $850 or so I believe for both. That said, I DID supply him with the bearings because I was working on it and messed up the knuckle, yes it is pain to push the bearing out from knuckle and pushing it in. That said, my mechanic told me that he would have pushed out the bearing and push a new one into the knuckle for about $100 or so. Maybe you can ask about that to your local mechanic whether they can do that. (press out/in the bearing if you bring him the knuckle with old bearing)

Do be careful about getting the bearings from local shop though, I had to swap out the bearing 2 times before I got a new one - first one was used one, second one did not have have full bearing in the box as those were obviously used part returns that nobody looked at before accepting them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.