Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While teaching my 4 year old to drive, he managed to put a scuff mark on the side of my 01 SS LX.
Actually, I was teaching him to drive his RC car and he ran it into a spade in the garage that then tipped over and glanced off of the driver side sliding door. I had just finished washing the van and have yet to give it its first coat of wax since we bought it.
What is the best way to 'buff out' this scuff? It did not creat a dent, only a hazy mark about 1 inch by 1/4 inch.

Thanks,

------------------
Mike
  • '01 Starlight Silver LX

·
Registered
861 Posts
well, if you don't know how to use a buffer, you'll have to do it by hand. Meguires makes a whole line of compounds and waxes that I use, and have used by hand with success....

I'd do this:

1. use the #4 (if they still go by numbers) heavy cut compound gently til the scuff fades. you'll have scratch marks from the stuff, but that's ok.

2. use the #6 cleaner wax

3. Use the #7 glaze

4. follow with a finish wax with NO abrasives to help protect the finish.

and if you have and use a buffer, just use it instead. same results, just faster.

hope this helps! if not, email me.

------------------
FOR ALL YOUR SPEED PART AND AUDIO NEED....PERFORMANCE REFINSHING, Inc.
[email protected]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dear T-O,

Whats the proper use of an electric buffer? Anyone can buy one at Wal-Mart or Costco, but does anyone know how to use them correctly? My husband has always wanted one, but is afraid to do more harm than good, so he does all the stuff by hand!

------------------
Susan
'01 SS EX, cargo tray
'96 Grand Cherokee
'89 Accord LXi
'89 Kawasaki ZX600R

·
Registered
861 Posts
Susan,

The BEST bet for the amateur polisher is to go with a RANDOM ORBIT polisher. I use a high speed buffer, designed more for paint repair/refinish work, but to just keep up the shine you can use a Random Orbit safely. They can be found at SEARS Hardware or similiar for around 30 dollars +/-. just read the instructions and let him slowly get used to it!

The RO buffer is a mild piece, so you shouldn't have to worry TOO much about him messing things up

------------------
FOR ALL YOUR SPEED PART AND AUDIO NEED....PERFORMANCE REFINSHING, Inc.
[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts