Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter in the south has finially arrived. I am now using the seat heaters. They are great but when my passenger gets out an leaves the switch on, the driver can't turn it off easily. The Acura has the switches in the center console so the driver can control but we have no console. Why could the switches be overhead?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Also:
Why do I have to bend (even a little) to reach them?

Why can't they be back-lit so I can tell if they're on low or high? Once you've done it a few times it isn't hard to remember but if you're a new passenger it's different. C'mon Honda - you're already lighting the "L".

------------------
dMax
'02 GG EX-L w/fog lights

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
And why aren't they electronic switches, like Ford uses? (Like what Honda uses for their rear defrosters?)

That would solve all the problems.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think it was a last minute thought (and not a good one). Honda needed to get leather in their vans, PERIOD! Heck even the KIA van has leather.

They didn't want to do a redesign of the dashboard to accomodate the switches where they should be...

So they just stuck them in the most retarded place they could find, and didn't even light them...!!!

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I vote for the switches for the seat heaters as the worst designed feature of the Ody.

However, we LOVE having heated
seats, even if it means coping with their awkward placement.

Regards,

Maugham

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 01-09-2002).]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Why are they not on a timer? switch off after 20 mins.. nobody needs them longer.. .
If they need it again, they could switch on again. After all Honda cautions against using in High for long time not because you may burn your butt but they say you may burn the alternator.!!

Also they should switch off whenever ignition is switched off and not come on when you start it again.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
And why aren't they electronic switches, like Ford uses? (Like what Honda uses for their rear defrosters?)

That would solve all the problems.
</font>

·
Registered
854 Posts
oh oh. i have been leaving mine on (low setting). are you saying that it doesn't turn off when you turn the car off?

how come it hasn't drained my battery?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Let's get a little perspective here, imho, complaining about the placement of heater switches? Anyone ever drive one of the original bugs with their so-called heaters? Now there was something to complain about. (I fess up. I am looking forward to the seat heaters in my on order ex-l gg, but it will probably arrive after thee seat heating season is over.)

Remember what the Swedes say: "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing."

·
Registered
234 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slocko:
oh oh. i have been leaving mine on (low setting). are you saying that it doesn't turn off when you turn the car off?

how come it hasn't drained my battery?
</font>
They are not on when the ignition is off. What they are saying is that if you do not turn them off when you stop and turn the ignition off, they will come back on when you start the car up again.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slocko:
oh good. i leave mine on all the time. it makes my back feel better.</font>
I sometimes have problems starting our '02 Ody if both seat heaters are turned on. If I turn them off, it starts just fine. They must draw a lot of current from the battery during starting.

We really do enjoy the warmth and use them often.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
35 Posts
The owner's manual says that in "high" they use a lot of battery power. I have also had trouble starting the van a couple of times this winter and I suspect that is why -- thanks for making the connection for me (my husband is addicted to his seat heater on "high" and because of the awkward placement, it's a pain for me to turn it off the 80% of the time he's not in the van). I find the seat gets way too hot for me on high, but enjoy the option.

Carrie

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Accessories--such as seat heaters, radios, rear window defrosters, etc.--are turned off when the vehicle's ignition key is in the "start" position. (Smarter car manufacturers, such as Subaru and the Germans, also turn the headlights off.)

So, there's no current draw by anything but the starter when you're starting the car. Unless your van is malfunctioning in a pretty big--and dangerous--way, the seat heaters don't have anything to do the hard starting problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well..... I know that in the colder weather (less than 5 Celsius/34F), the battery tends to affected by the ambient temperature. You'll notice that even a new car left overnight will start over but, not as you are used to in the summer.

When ever starting my cars, I always turn off the BIG accessories LIKE the BLOWER, A/C,(On my Accord) my Subwoofer AMP (40amps).

ALSO, on our Odyssey EX, I turn OFF the HEADLIGHT/Parking LIGHT switch BEFORE I'd EXIT the VEHICLE. THat would ASSURE that the next time I start the vehicle, that I won't be killing the battery.

·
Registered
24 Posts
MAUGHAM is RIGHT. Turn OFF everything that you think USES up lots of power since, you don't want to have a vehicle that doesn't start since its battery had been overwhelmed during STARTing of the engine.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Sorry, but Maugham isn't right. The seat heaters don't draw "a lot of current during starting".

The seat heaters draw exactly ZERO current during starting, because they aren't switched on. NO accessory is switched on with the key in the "start" position.

And that's not just Odysseys. That's every car made.

If the seat heaters are drawing current with the switch in anything other than the "on" position, that's a fault and is very DANGEROUS and must be looked at.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
Sorry, but Maugham isn't right. The seat heaters don't draw "a lot of current during starting".

The seat heaters draw exactly ZERO current during starting, because they aren't switched on. NO accessory is switched on with the key in the "start" position.

And that's not just Odysseys. That's every car made.

If the seat heaters are drawing current with the switch in anything other than the "on" position, that's a fault and is very DANGEROUS and must be looked at.
</font>
Logic tells me you are right and my previous assessment was wrong - thank you for catching and correcting my error.

This is what I like about the internet, I can say something foolish and have it known around the world

I still can't figure out why the car has been hard to start with the seat heaters turned on, though. It has had trouble starting only several times and then only when both heater switches were on. It might just be coincidence.

I wonder how long after the engine signals that it is operating before the heaters kick in.

Regards,

Maugham
<center>
</center>

·
Registered
39 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I wonder how long after the engine signals that it is operating before the heaters kick in.

Regards,

Maugham
</font>
That should be a function of the ignition switch itself. When in the start position only the spark and starter will operate. Once the key is returned to run all circuits will be available.

------------------
00 Ody EX (17K)
90 Sable wagon (168K)
89 Cougar (205K!)
67 Sunbeam Alpine (??K)
52 Ford Flathead V8(72K)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Since the only lighted switch at night are the heater switch on both sides. I am wondering if I can make all the window switches lighted up at night time the same way. May be just buy the heater's light bulbs and installed them under the windows switches the same way ? Isn't it that possible?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts