Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O2 Ody LX comes without security or keyless.

Looking for a good name manuf. for a quailty sec. sys. w/keyless entry & remote start.

Any South Central, PA installers?

·
Registered
62 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PINODY:
O2 Ody LX comes without security or keyless.

Looking for a good name manuf. for a quailty sec. sys. w/keyless entry & remote start.

Any South Central, PA installers?
</font>
I live in Harrisburg and I had leather installed at Chandlers Auto Trim. The do all automotive accessory sales and installation, including security systems.

They did a real nice job and are nice to deal with. Why don't you give them a call to discuss their options. I worked with Kay Chandler. If interested, Key can be reached at 717.975.1957.

Hope this helps,
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
The two brands that have been mentioned the most on this forum are Audiovox and Clifford.
Audiovox is a very good value and offers a long warranty. Clifford is a popular "higher end" brand but was bought out by DEI fairly recently, and some feel they are overpriced and quality conrol is not so good anymore. I have a Clifford Intelliguard in my '99 Accord, very happy with it.

Either of these brands offer the features you want, but your reliability, etc.. will be based on the quality of your installer more than the electronics, IMHO.

P.S.- if you don't need remote start, you could get the factory add on security system, which installs cleanly and ties into factory harnesses w/o cutting/splicing wires. HandA has it for $250.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
62 Posts
thanks for the help does the LX have this pass key others talk about?</font>
By pass key I assume you mean a key that has a microchip in it that is programmed to be able to start your car. If this assumption is correct then yes your LX will have a pass key just like the EX has.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just before i go aftermarket, is the honda sys. all that? also i noticed the broc. lists 2 seperate items a keyless entry sys. & sec. sys. - what gives? is that what handa has for $250.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
just before i go aftermarket, is the honda sys. all that? also i noticed the broc. lists 2 seperate items a keyless entry sys. & sec. sys. - what gives? is that what handa has for $250.</font>
In terms of protection, I'd argue that all alarms (noise makers) have limited utility. If a pro thief wants your Ody.... it's gone.

But, features are what should drive your decision. You mentioned remote start, and that's something you need to go aftermarket for. FYI, if you want more sensing capability, you can add radar sensors, etc.. to the honda system using relays; not too hard to do.

Honda sells a system that adds just keyless entry, or a system that is a security system too. Price diff at handa is $158.40 vs. $249.60. About $90 for adding entry detection, glass breakage detection, etc. Check link below..

http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyelec02.html

I'll let others who have installed this alarm comment on its utility/function...

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
I'll let others who have installed this alarm comment on its utility/function...

</font>
I just installed the Honda keyless entry with security system on my 02 LX last weekend. The job took about 3 hours and the instructions that ship with the unit are very detailed. It works flawlessly. The keyless entry is great. I haven't had the alarm go off yet, but I imagine it works fine as well.

I STRONGLY encourage you to go with the honda system and install it yourself. That way you don't have to trust some highschool student at Circuit City to cut through the wiring harnesses to your $30K vehicle. I had a very bad experience with an alarm install on my 97 Camry, and I'll never let anyone touch my vehicle's electrical system again (except the dealer).

At any rate, with the starter disable of the Honda pass keys and the alarm features of the Honda security system what else could you ask for?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just came across 2 shops who use VIPER 550esp also owned by DEI (clifford) has it all! complete $350-425 installed. does anyone have exper. with viper? also life. warr.!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts