effectiveness of the security system

which comes preinstalled on the EX?

Is there any owner out there whose EX was

stolen with the security system on?

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shahv2000:
Is there any rating regarding reliablity and effectiveness of the security system
which comes preinstalled on the EX?

Is there any owner out there whose EX was
stolen with the security system on?
</font>
The factory security system that comes on the EX and is sold as an option for the LX is really a minimal system. It has a glass breakage sensor and nothing else, no motion or shock sensors available that I know of. All it will do is sound the horn and flash the parking lights if it's activated and that can be silenced easily enough by simply disconnecting the battery. Without the computer chip ignition key, the engine won't start whether you've got the alarm system or not, at least that's the theory.

Bottom line, if they want your car bad enough, they'll get it, alarm system not withstanding. For me, my primary reason for putting the alarm system on my LX was for the keyless entry. The "small" discount I get on my insurance helps too but that's not enough to justify the cost in and of itself.

FWIW,
Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you want a good aftermarket alarm system, get a Clifford Intelliguard 7000 - Installed for Approx $399.00 - Lifetime warranty. Can program the remote to lock and unlock doors as well as open power EX doors on command. They do have an auto start feature, but you will need to buy a transponder box to trick the the computer chip ignition. This costs an add'l $100.00. If you live in the Northeast where autocrime is high ( I live in NYC - Queens and park on street) I would suggest getting it. I have this alarm w/o auto start and has worked great. It allows me to use the Honda system as well. - 2 alarms - maximum protection.

With the wait lists so long getting an Odyssey no one is getting my Odyssey.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I got a lojack in my 01 ODY. Lojack will pay me $3,000 if my Ody is stolen and not recoverd or stripped down before it is recovered. My dealer also told me if my ODY is ever stolen I will be the 1st on the list for a new one.
Due to the 2002 upgrade, now I am praying that someone will steal my 01 and chop it or take it over the boarder. So I could get $3000 from lojack as a downpayment and get a brandnew 2002.

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers, 1086 on its way
Lojack

·
Registered
147 Posts
The ODY has the best antitheft protection you can get. The immobilizer is the next best thing next to sliced bread. Thiefs cannot bypass it, if at all. If you have one, the only way it's going to get stolen is with a gun to your head and taking those exact keys. Or tow it away. Don't waste your money on a Clifford alarm unless you like giving your money away. Clifford went bankrupt and is now owned by DEI, which is Viper. Overpriced alarm to start with. If you have the factory remote keyless with immobilizer, it's all you need. If you must get an aftermarket you need not spend that kind of money. Believe me it's the business that I am in. I wouldn't charge that much with the bypass and a remote starter installed. Interfacing the power doors is quite easy. Most if not all alarm manufacturers give lifetime warranties.

DanDan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Who did you use to install the Intelliguard 7000 alarm? I live in NYC too and want to get a referral.

Thanks.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 1ODY2NV:
If you want a good aftermarket alarm system, get a Clifford Intelliguard 7000 - Installed for Approx $399.00 - Lifetime warranty. Can program the remote to lock and unlock doors as well as open power EX doors on command. They do have an auto start feature, but you will need to buy a transponder box to trick the the computer chip ignition. This costs an add'l $100.00. If you live in the Northeast where autocrime is high ( I live in NYC - Queens and park on street) I would suggest getting it. I have this alarm w/o auto start and has worked great. It allows me to use the Honda system as well. - 2 alarms - maximum protection.

With the wait lists so long getting an Odyssey no one is getting my Odyssey.
</font>

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Dan is right about the immobilizer, it's a great anti-theft deterent for the vehicle. I think the jury is still out on the effectiveness of the solution though; only time and auto theft rates will really tell if it reduces theft or not. In reality, if a thief wants your car bad enough, he/she will get it, regardless of immobilizer, alarm, etc..

I have a Clifford Intelliguard in my other car, and I like it. My reasons for getting it have more to do with convenience than absolute security though. It has alot of great features available with the 5 button remote, and it has a dual zone microwave radar sensor. I like the dual zone radar personally since I have a bunch of expensive audio gear in my car. If someone walks up close to the car to tries and discern what stereo I have in the dash (I always remove the face plate too!) the alarm provides a warning chirp. This is annoying to some people just walking by the car, but I think it is an effective way to let would be (amatuer crash and break) thieves know that there is an alarm to deal with. If it is a pro, I know that my car would be gone anyway, along with all its contents. Remember, it's a deterent and noise maker, that's all. I think the Honda alarm is good enough if you are only worried about the entire car being stolen.

-SJ

p.s.- if anyone has statistics on Ody thefts (or Honda thefts) and the effectiveness of the immobilizer, please post them!!!

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ody_lee
e-mail me at [email protected] and I will give a referral. I have been developing a group buy with my alarm guy, but has asked me not to disclose on the internet. The alarm will be less than $399.00.

DanDan
I respect your profession, but you do not live in NYC. There are stats that the new Odysseys and MDXs as well as new Acura TLs have been stolen and the immobilizer disabled in NYC. A close friend works for the Auto Theft task force at the NYPD.

I believe the Clifford is the best. The reason it is expensive b/c of the bells and whistles on the alarm. My 98 Maxima was carjacked in 1999 from my cousin, BlackJax foiled this theft which is a feature on the Intelliguard. You guys in CA pay 1/3 the price in car insurance we pay in NYC...that is why many of you do not buy an aftermarket alarm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts