Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 2002 EX security system include an alarm? Dealer told me it didn't, so I said to install. I am buying it tommorow. Can I hopefully get an answer tonight? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
If it's like the 2001 (I would guess it is) then it sounds the horn and flashes lights when it gets set off.

Mel

·
Registered
2 Posts
According to honda's website, the EX comes with 'Security System' and the EX I am getting in Canada also comes with alarm system.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you call a horn going off & flashing lights an "alarm" when you open a locked door (or force your way in, I guess), then the answer to "alarm" is "Yes".

But I don't consider it a "real" alarm unless it responds to broken glass or perhaps a proximity sensor--which it doesn't (I guess you can add these features though).

As a moderating point though, I consider alarms very near worthless nowadays. Everybody has them and they're going off constantly every time a big truck drives by, making it such that everyone is simply annoyed by them rather than made wary.

The closest thing to "real" security would be a vehicle recovery system like LoJack. I would be much more inclined to get something like that than put in an alarm in the traditional sense.

------------------
RW
'02 SS EX (Navi Wanted, but not Leather--looking into Aftermarket Navi)
- Cargo Tray & Cover
- Mud Flaps
- Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
- Lots of Scotch-Guard
'89 Red Mazda B2200
'86 Gray Acura Legend (Tranny going out--replacing with Ody!)
'84 Honda V500 Interceptor Motorcycle
Past 'Fav: '86 Honda Prelude Si (totalled by an idiot from behind)

·
Registered
207 Posts
The theft rating for the Ody is "better than average" according to the Highway Loss Data Institute (the highest rating is "substantially better than average" and, from what I've seen, very few vehicles are so rated).

Thus, it would appear that, unless you live in a high crime area (or park the van in one), the odds of this vehcile being swiped are fairly slim. Accords and Civics are a different matter, of course.

Is something the likes of LoJack worth the expense for an Ody (considering the relatively low incidence of thefts)?

·
Registered
157 Posts
What is the LoJack?

------------------
Future Owner '02 MB EXL NAV
Current Owner '96 R Dodge GC ES

·
Registered
78 Posts
Check out the LoJack site for more information. Basically, it's a device that helps police track down your vehicle once it's stolen.

------------------
'02 GG EX-L RES on order
1996 BMW 328i Manual Sport Pack

·
Registered
329 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RWhittle:
As a moderating point though, I consider alarms very near worthless nowadays. Everybody has them and they're going off constantly every time a big truck drives by, making it such that everyone is simply annoyed by them rather than made wary.</font>

Exactly. Every time I hear a car alarm, I never think that somebody's car is being broken into or stolen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Exactly. Every time I hear a car alarm, I never think that somebody's car is being broken into or stolen.</font>
Although most Odyssey's probably get to sleep in garages, I have a friend that always said alarms were a waste until one night his car was broken into in his own driveway. I read awhile back where 60% of auto breakins happen while parked in the owners driveway.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would like to correct my statement :

Unless it's my car alarm, every time I hear a car alarm, I never think that somebody's car is being broken into or stolen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyway for the remote lock and unlock to make a chirp when armed and disarmed?

I can't hear the locks and have to look at the door locks to verify that I locked and unlocked the van.

·
Registered
22 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rainmanx:

I can't hear the locks and have to look at the door locks to verify that I locked and unlocked the van.
</font>
I have the same problem, if you press the lock button twice you will hear a quick beep from the horn. Does not work on the unlock feature.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Another problem is that there is no option to enable passive arming. Having remote start would also be cool. Having two remotes, no to mention you need to have an extra key made (because of engine immobilizer) stinks.

------------------
2002 RR EX-L NAVI
JVC KD-SH99 CD/MP3
Kicker RS 6.2 & 5.2
Kicker Solo-Baric L7 12"
Rockford 600a4 & Punch 60

·
Registered
329 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rainmanx:

</font>
Someone already mentioned about locking the doors (first button press locks them, second button press sounds the horn).

When you unlock the doors, the tail lights and parking lights flash two times.

------------------
2002 SS EX

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Someone already mentioned about locking the doors (first button press locks them, second button press sounds the horn).</font>
Which is a very nice feature, I must admit.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When you unlock the doors, the tail lights and parking lights flash two times.</font>
Not to mention the fact that you can now get into the car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
"When you unlock the doors, the tail lights and parking lights flash two times."

What a wonderful timesaver for those of us who end up looking for the vehicle for 30 minutes in the parking lot. I think, once one starts having children, senility sets in.

------------------
Liz
2002 GG EX-L (Build date Oct 28)

·
Registered
55 Posts
As I have had a 4 month old accord stolen (no alarm) and my american anti theft desirable replacement, a ford thunderbird broken into (alarmed), i feel very strongly about having an alarm. my t-bird had all the bells and whistles - remote start, automatic closing windows, flashing lights, siren, glass breakage sensors, etc. - i put a similar alarm into my new VW passat GLX - what a hassle. the installation took TWELVE (12) HOURS!!!!! the guys who installed it warned me ahead of time that VWs were a bear to deal with. I am relaying this because the VW had a factory "security system" like the Ody appears to (not getting mine for a few more months). the new alarm works fairly well (remote start works great, and it added a few new features, like the ability to close all the windows by holding down a button - which includes closing the moonroof, whether it is in the vent position, or the slid open position - a nice feature). The alarm for the VW had to "outsmart" the VW alarm, i.e. shutting the alarm via remote, like unlocking the doors, is a major internal hassle, you hear the car locks locking, then unlocking - likewise, for the remote start, the doors lock, then the car starts (an annoyance if i have the car unlocked because the remote then won't unlock teh doors unless i first lock then with the remote) - basically, it's a work around. Also, i lost some features (i knew i would) - the VW seat has a memory, so when you unlock the car with the factory remote, the seat and side mirrors go to you set position - with my alarm, i have lost this feature...and there are other gremlins. i already told my wife we're sticking with the factory alarm - if honda makes additional "modules" for the alarm i'd buy them in a minute. i've seen that on the camry. as an aside, my wife bought an alarm from the dealership when she picked up her sebring which had a "factory security system" - the 2 never worked right and have been an endless source of greif - plus, other service centers won't touch the alarm, even though it is covered by an extended warranty. be aware. be afraid.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AFOdy:
Does the 2002 EX security system include an alarm? Dealer told me it didn't, so I said to install. I am buying it tommorow. Can I hopefully get an answer tonight? Thank you.</font>

·
Registered
55 Posts
one last thing i forgot to mention in my long reply - i had 2 extra keys made up for the passat (btw - my local honda dealer also sells passats, same service area) - the keys were - are you sitting? $75/each - i had one valet and one master made up, as i wanted them on the remote keychain and not as the integrated passat key/remote - anyway, after shelling out $150, it turns out the only way to program them to the car is to program all the keys at once - if you have a remote start, and a transponder (like the hondas), then you can't start the car without a key in the ignition. a workaround by the autostarter is to take a good valet key, and keep it in the key under the dash - a coil goes around the key and it "acts" like it's in the ignition. i don't know if hondas require all the keys at once - so far i haven't done the vw because that means a trip to the alarm installer to pull the key out, then back to the dealership to program all the keys, then back to the alarm installer - what a pain!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AFOdy:
Does the 2002 EX security system include an alarm? Dealer told me it didn't, so I said to install. I am buying it tommorow. Can I hopefully get an answer tonight? Thank you.</font>

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Honda security system may not have all of the bells and whistles that you get with aftermarket systems but it'll do the job without frequent false alarms. Has anyone with the Honda alarm ever had their system go off for an unexplainable reason or false intrusion like some of the aftermarket ones do? There maybe a few out there who have but we don't hear as many Ody horns honking out there like we do those common sirens we've so gotten used to. Before the sirens became popular, the "old school" honking horn was popular. I think since it's not as common and even louder than most sirens, the honking horn will be more effective at scaring a nervous thief away.(As long as he/she fears being discovered)Plus it's nerve racking to work with all of that noise going on. Conceal your valuables in your car because an alarm isn't too effective against "smash and grabs".
Some of the aftermarket security systems have extra triggers and sensors that will be triggered by all sorts of events which are not true intrusions. Let's see, bassin' stereos, shopping cart or car door bumping your car, Radio frequencies or EMF's, heat or temperature and even sometimes that car driving by with the loud exhaust will trigger and alarm. I believe most alarm sensors are set a little too sensitive which causes most of the false alarms. So if you need a alarm with the "fancy fixins'" go for the aftermarket system and hopefully it won't be one that keeps crying wolf on you.
Hmmmm, Lojack? 500 bones for a tracking system in your car. Has anyone ever seen it's components? Index card sized circuit board with a wire antenna tucked away in the car. It's popular in some cities where law enforcement might have the tracking devices. Lojack is a good recovery tool but once it's recovered, you may not want it back after seeing what a thief can do to it. If it was just joyriders test driving your car, it might still be in good condition. Before you get Lojack installed, make sure it is supported in your region by law enforcement.
So the Honda alarm comes with the basics, door triggers and some have the glass break frequency sensor. Keep your windows up and the security system armed and it will be difficult for someone to get inside without triggering the system, unless they have your keys. So for those of you who want simple and basic, this factory system will do the job.

Only an opinion.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I disabled the remote trunk release on my Accord, and then put valuables in the trunk when I was forced to leave valuables in the Accord.

Any ideas on where to store valuables (other than the lockable glove box) in the Odyssey in order to keep them from the smash and grab guys? Put them, if thin enough, underneath the stored magic seat? Could you install some kind of lock on the spare tire well cover?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts