Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know for a fact I have a seized caliper since I have to push the piston in with a C-clamp. I recall being able to do this by hand. I'm wondering if it's the caliper assembly or something in the brakeline (proportioning valve). I'm taking apart the caliper tonite to inspect it. I'll probably replace it with a good used one from a junk yard instead of wasting my time overhauling it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took apart the caliper and removed the piston. It's quite difficult to get back in. I don't want to waste my time overhauling so I plan on getting a used caliper in the morning and installing tomorrow night.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Its actually very hard to push-in a caliper piston with your bare hands while the caliper is still connected to the brake line. I use a c-clamp to push the piston back whenever I have to install new pads on good calipers. You may want to double-check before buying new parts. If you are certain the calipers are bad, then I agree 100% with Yakuza; buy a set of remanufactured.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
On a side note, I have replaced 3 of my 4 calipers with new reman's because they all seized up while driving...You could smell the rotor & pad cooking LOL. (but with 300,000 miles I can't complain!)
I'll replace the last and final caliper soon enough.

While your at it, you might consider doing the Acura RL big brake upgrade...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually after thinking about it, using a C-clamp by itself or channel locks is not a good idea to push it in. I might have warped the piston doing so or put in a seized position. You need a tool to push it square with the caliper. I should have used a block of wood with the C-clamp. Anyhow, it seems fine now with the "new" caliper. I think have a wheel bearing problem now. I'm just putting in the minimum on this van since I plan to sell it in a few months. It does have KYB shocks (3yrs old) and new tires if anyone's interested. Thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the steering knuckle from that side of the car and sure enough the wheel bearing is making the noise. I'm taking it to Honda tomorrow for them to press in a new one.

What's troubling is even the "new" caliper seizes onto the rotor. When the "new" caliper was disconnected from the brake line before installing, I was able to push the piston easily by hand. So I wonder what's causing another caliper to seize? Could it be a faulty check valve in the master cylinder? I certainly don't want to keep replacing wheel bearings. :-(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts