Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
cnn, you are a Sherlock Holmes. Yes, a lot of SB tensioner bolt problems lately on the forums. The bolt!

I can back up the "original bolt is better" mantra; after collision repair on our 2002 EX, even though the replacement alternator bracket bolt was torqued in correctly....it eventually broke several months later! 2nd one (I installed it and carefully torqued it myself) held up for a few months, and again broke as well. 3rd one finally finally held up, and years later is still working. Mind you, these I purchased from the "local" dealership!

Man, I hate reading about these problems. Jccc, there is a lot of gnashing of teeth when a vehicle you depend on endures these events (and you, by extension, endure them as well).

By the way, one other item that bolsters cnn's assertion that changing cylinder heads will do the trick: the Odyssey piston skirts do not extend at all below the metal that is below the connecting rod wrist pins. It's a strong piston design! That's why those on our forum who've had this same TB disaster befall them have not even bothered with removing the oil pan to take a peek...at least one member just chucked the old cylinder heads, simply bought a pair of heads from a salvage yard (or ebay...I cannot remember), adjusted the valves (he said it was quite easy to do so with the heads sitting on his bench), installed them...good to go. As I said before, the Odyssey's J35-series V6 is the only design I know of where it simply is highly unlikely to suffer broken piston skirts when the piston(s) impact(s) the valves.

Knowing what I know from these previous forum members, and their experiences, I'd give post #11 (cnn's post with the links and labor estimates) a close look. If I had this happen to either of my Odys, I'd do just as he wrote without deviation.

OF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The belt actually split instead of breaking, I am guessing the split piece was probably flying around looking for ways to cause damage while rest of belt was still running for a short time. How lucky can a guy get.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The belt actually split instead of breaking, I am guessing the split piece was probably flying around looking for ways to cause damage while rest of belt was still running for a short time. How lucky can a guy get.
Hello do you know what actual damage that was done? What did you end up doing?

This LITERALLY happen to my moms car ...The Tech could not believe it...car wouldn't start either...Greatly appreciate any info

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
7 Participants
AM petroboy
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing