Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to start my car today and I got a crazy sound for about 40 seconds.I wouldn't call it the regular squealing i would hear on a older car whose belt is slipping because I also heard some chaffing. The sound was clearly on the passenger side of the motor and I did not have time to Pop the hood before the sound was gone. The belt still looks new and aren't new belts suppose to last the life of the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Belts are NOT designed to last the life of the car. All rubber components have a life span of some type.

Replace your serpentine belt and see if the sound goes away. If it does then you are done, if it doesn't then you may have another issue, but at least you have a new belt

·
Registered
43 Posts
Unless you took something loose, the belt isnt going to slip under normal conditions. The auto belt tensioner will adjust for a worn belt.

If you heard something chaffing and a squeal, one of the pulleys could be locked up. Alot of cars have plastic pulleys on them now and are cheap.

I wouldnt just change the belt and hope it goes away. If its a pulley and you put a new belt on it, you could tear up a new belt. I would inspect the belt for cracks or signs of dry rot. If it looks ok, take it off and get the size checked the parts store.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i just replaced my timing belt (114k miles) and it looked as good as the new belt. (also replaced the other goodies in there as well).
I would check your power steering level first, cause if the timing belt were to slip, well lets just say it would only happen once. if your accessory drives look ok, then your tensioner or idle pulley might be an issue as (New Dad New Van) posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts