Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had one shock replaced around 40k miles and we were told at the 71k service that one was leaking again. Now at 91k, the dealership is telling us both are starting to weap. Anyone else have their dealer tell them this frequently? Do Honda rear shocks have a short lifespan? For now, the car handles fine, no rear bounce or other noticable issues.

Is there a DIY to replace the rear shocks and is the swap fairly straight forward?

Dealer wanted $450 to change the air filter, cabin filter, brake flush, trans top off and rotate tires. Tires are brand new from yesterday (Goodyear Comfortred), and all the fluids: brake, trans, power steering were flushed at 71k, at 91k still good to go. needless to say, won't doing that service. i'll look for a DIY for the cabin filter.

I know the service advisors are suppose to upsell and generate revenue to meet their monthly numbers but geez! The timing belt/water pump/etc service is $550, and there is a seal leaking from the top of the trans, running down the front of the housing, $220 to replace. :(

The Ody has been good to us since we got it in Oct '04, she just needs a little TLC and hopefully we'll get another 50-100k uneventful miles.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Stew, I'm not sure how mechanically inclined you are but changing rear shocks on your Ody is childs play. Three fasteners and Bob's your uncle once you pull the rear wheel. Especially if you have had them replaced inthe past. Monroe Sena-tracs have a lifetime warranty. Buy them once and be done. If they leak take them back for a new pair. And since you will have both rear wheels off you are half to rotating your tires if need be.

Everytime your vehicle is up on a rack the garage owner be it a dealership or a private has an opportunity to "go shopping". In my opinion you did the right thing and walked away. Changing your cabin filter is a 10 minute job at most along with your air filter. Search for How-To's on both on this site.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm use to pulling my Volvo V70 rear interior apart to swap its rear shocks so glad to hear this may go easier! I'll check into the Monroe Sean-tracs after I clean up the shocks to see if they are leaking.

·
Registered
469 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts