Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 8,500 kms on our Odyssey and with 15% oil life left, I noticed the orange "wrench" lit up at the same time the 20% life went to 15% (before this it was dropping in 10% increments).

The owner's manual states that you shouldn't change the oil before the first service indicator. Are you guys following the "wrench" light for your first oil change or waiting until the life indicator gets to 5%?

On the next oil change, I don't think it makes much of a difference as the break in oil will already have been replaced and at that point, all I will be wasting is money if I choose to change the oil more frequently.

On a related note, what mileage did you see the service light at on your van?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm just over 4,500 miles (7,200 kilometers) and my oil life says 40%.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just over 4,500 miles (7,200 kilometers) and my oil life says 40%.
That is weird (compared to my mileage). Almost all of our mileage has been city driving though, except for June/July when we have been putting on about 1,000 km/month going back and forth to the lake.

It is what it is though (for us). :) Based on our annual mileage, we'd be doing an oil change about every 6 months or so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have always followed the maintenance minder. It should drop from 15-5% in 5% increments and then drop from 5%-0 in 1% increments. I always change it between 5% and 0%. Dealer will most likely tell you to change it more often but I never have.

Best Regards,

JD

·
Registered
86 Posts
My A1 service indicator just came on as well. 15% left @ 5000 miles, at 5 months (mostly city driving).

Called the local dealership and they want $99 for the A1 service which includes oil change, multi point inspection, top off fluids, tire rotation, car wash and vacuum.

I told them I just want the oil changed since it's probably not necessary to rotate tires and top off fluids since I can do it myself if it's needed so they wanted to charge $49.00 for just the oil change. Does this sound about right?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I told them I just want the oil changed since it's probably not necessary to rotate tires and top off fluids since I can do it myself if it's needed so they wanted to charge $49.00 for just the oil change. Does this sound about right?
No, It doesn't sound right. Although you are in Cali so I am probably wrong. My dealer is always having deals on oil changes.. $9.99 here.. $19.99 there. and so on. I got my first and 5th change free.

P.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I also agree that $50 for just an A1 is too high. I received my first service for free and the normal price for A1 is $35 with the 5th being free so $28 which also includes an exterior wash. Any dealer doing an oil change should perform the "inspection" services as part of the maintenance. They should also top off any fluids that require it as I have never had a need for that with any of my Honda's.

Some dealers are always looking for ways to charge rediculous fees for minor routine services. Find another dealer that has reasonable charges or if not find a reputable local repair shop and have them change oil and rotate the tires. Your van will last just as long.

JD

·
Registered
400 Posts
hey guys. I don't normally go past 10k in a year (had it for 6k last year). SO, I'm wondering whats the general consensus on changing oil that's not driven on a long mileage. If a go with the main.minder I'll probably end up more than a year.

PS. I had my '08 CRV oil changed by 6 mos.interval-- with remaining as 50%.. (at that time I want to go with how the season's change.. winter to summer)..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Shopped around and found some specials for $29.99 for oil change, and car wash. We put on about 12K miles per year and like to change the oil 2x a year regardless of what the maint. minder says.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Once you get to the indicator coming on at 15% or whatever it may be, then anytime from there is probably good for the first oil change.

However the little dashlight "service wrench" is designed to assist dealers make money on vehicle maintenance and designed for those who just want to turn the key/drive & pay while someone else "maintains" the vehicle.

Don't worry so much about the rate at which the "oil life remaining" falls, I've had mine go below 0% where it starts counting (adding) mileage from zero to whatever it is when the oil is finally changed. I did this on purpose to see what the indicator would do. That said I did not reset the indicator from the previous oil change to see what the monitor would do. So in fact that oil still had over 50% life remaining.

Choose an oil change interval, based on your driving conditions and go with it. Pick a number & use it. Or let the "convenient" on board indicator tell you. Your choice & don't worry about going over a little or changing oil sooner than your chosen interval if it works with your personal schedule.

I personally don't use the (current) Honda service interval schedules. These have changed numerous times since I first purchased an Odyssey and the costs of maintaining a vehicle the Honda way are ridiculous. My own maintenance is done sooner in some cases but overall costs less at year's end than it would following Honda's schedules.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The higher cost of oil changes on these van is because of the factory blend 0w20 oil. Though you may find a "cheaper" oil change; it may not be the correct weight.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Once you get to the indicator coming on at 15% or whatever it may be, then anytime from there is probably good for the first oil change.

However the little dashlight "service wrench" is designed to assist dealers make money on vehicle maintenance and designed for those who just want to turn the key/drive & pay while someone else "maintains" the vehicle.

Don't worry so much about the rate at which the "oil life remaining" falls, I've had mine go below 0% where it starts counting (adding) mileage from zero to whatever it is when the oil is finally changed. I did this on purpose to see what the indicator would do. That said I did not reset the indicator from the previous oil change to see what the monitor would do. So in fact that oil still had over 50% life remaining.

Choose an oil change interval, based on your driving conditions and go with it. Pick a number & use it. Or let the "convenient" on board indicator tell you. Your choice & don't worry about going over a little or changing oil sooner than your chosen interval if it works with your personal schedule.

I personally don't use the (current) Honda service interval schedules. These have changed numerous times since I first purchased an Odyssey and the costs of maintaining a vehicle the Honda way are ridiculous. My own maintenance is done sooner in some cases but overall costs less at year's end than it would following Honda's schedules.

fair enough.. I think I'll stick with just once a year during winter or summer season..

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My A1 service indicator just came on as well. 15% left @ 5000 miles, at 5 months (mostly city driving).

Called the local dealership and they want $99 for the A1 service which includes oil change, multi point inspection, top off fluids, tire rotation, car wash and vacuum.

Your mileage is about the same as mine for 15% life. The second poster was getting much more mileage than us. In any event, I'll wait a week or two and then get the oil changed. Not sure what my dealer charges to do the oil change and rotate the tires but I'm too busy to do it myself so I'll just let them do it. They were pretty reasonable on the purchase and the trailer hitch install.

Thanks for the posts.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealer says the "A" means oil change and the "1" means tire rotation. The service department says the 0W oil is synthetic and costs $62.88 to change. The tire rotation is $19.99. (Canadian prices). I don't see being able to get a synthetic oil change for $9.99 as someone has posted, but I guess if you wait for a sale it is possible.

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts