Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my fourth Odyssey so far, and the previous one is 2019 ex-l.

Compared to the 2019 one, the new Odyssey looks and drives pretty much the same. The ventilated seat is new to me, and it definitely helps especially when AC is on.

The brake pedal feels different upon start. After parked for an hour, the brake pedal is stiff and will not go down to its normal position, until the moment the car starts. My sales said this is because now Odyssey use electric brake booster.

The blind spot monitor seems disabled by default. On the dashboard there is a green car inside a grey circle. After the bsm is enabled, the circle become green too.

I am struggling with HondaLink and in-vehical wifi hotspot. Have been calling HondaLink and AT&T support several days now. I suspect the car's cellular connection is broken.
For in-vehicle wifi, the AT&T sign-up web site popped up an error "cannot process the request". I called AT&T support, got my car added to my account, but trial data plan did not show up. Next day I removed the car from my account and added it again, and the trial data plan showed up. AT&T senior support thought the car's cellular module is not 'provisioned' correctly and suggested bring the car to a Honda dealership.
For the HondaLink, my app only get updates when the car is connected to my home wifi or my phone is connected to the car over bluetooth. The HondaLink remote never worked. Working together with HondaLink support, I did all kinds of re-install, reset, restart, multiple times. Finally the support opened a case. I missed the case manger's call. I called back several times, and still waiting for the case manger to contact me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Agree the brake was the first thing I noticed going from my 2018 to the 2021 and how stiff it is when turning car on.

And yes BSM is always off as a default on new vans. I turn off lkas and all those other nannies other than bsm and my car is green within a grey circle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Picked up the same yesterday, went from a 20 to a 23. Was able to add the vehicle on the website and activate the trials under Hondalink. Had data plan on the 20 so I had AT&T add the 23 and transfer the service instead of doing the trial. I have the van's phone number. I get "Service Not Supported" when I press the AT&T Hotspot icon and when I press the Hondalink button I'm informed that I need an "active subscription". Haven't checked the entries in the diagnostics menu yet but I suspect I'll find zeros because this isn't a new problem, it goes back to 2017 when the 2018s were coming out, maybe longer. I've tried everything; removed the other Odyssey from my garage online, removed this Odyssey and added it back, connected to the house wifi and checked for updates, drove around to see if maybe I missed an OTA where it was parked, switched modes between Network, Hotspot and Off multiple times, etc. An OTA update will fix it but some say that takes a few weeks and others had it done faster, I think you still have to call and email a lot of people that are familiar with the issue but will pretend that they aren't before you get escalated high enough.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picked up the same yesterday, went from a 20 to a 23. Was able to add the vehicle on the website and activate the trials under Hondalink. Had data plan on the 20 so I had AT&T add the 23 and transfer the service instead of doing the trial. I have the van's phone number. I get "Service Not Supported" when I press the AT&T Hotspot icon and when I press the Hondalink button I'm informed that I need an "active subscription". Haven't checked the entries in the diagnostics menu yet but I suspect I'll find zeros because this isn't a new problem, it goes back to 2017 when the 2018s were coming out, maybe longer. I've tried everything; removed the other Odyssey from my garage online, removed this Odyssey and added it back, connected to the house wifi and checked for updates, drove around to see if maybe I missed an OTA where it was parked, switched modes between Network, Hotspot and Off multiple times, etc. An OTA update will fix it but some say that takes a few weeks and others had it done faster, I think you still have to call and email a lot of people that are familiar with the issue but will pretend that they aren't before you get escalated high enough.
I did the same, drive around and park at multiple locations to check the signal.

For my car, as shown in AT&T account and in the diagnostic menu of TCU, a phone number is there. The AT&T hotspot app shows 'no data connection'. I once suspected that antenna for cellular signal have issues. As some online doc, the TCU (telematics control unit) has two antenna connections for performance, one for phone and gps and the other for phone only. The navigation works fine, and the TCU diagnostic shows some cell network info that may indicate it could receive cellular signal.

Still trying to find the case manager

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,962 Posts
I'm wondering if maybe you all did not get the update before the 3G network shutdown somehow and that is causing issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm wondering if maybe you all did not get the update before the 3G network shutdown somehow and that is causing issues.
Yes, this could be the issue, as manufacturers usually source parts well before production. I checked the TSB for the 3G network shutdown http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A22-001.PDF. As the TSB, Odyssey 2018 to 2020 models are affected and the TCU part number is 39870-THR-A1. After update the Phone Module Ver should be 200.0.9a00 or 200.0.9800. As the diagnostic menu, the 2023 Odyssey uses 39870-THR-A21 and the Phone Module is 200.0.9800.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just verified under TCU Status my Phone Module is Ver 200.0.9800, part number is the same (39870THR A21), Latest update date is blank. IMEI is populated but as I suspected the MSISDN is all zeros. I ran the TCU Test in that menu and it failed but of course the other TCU button displays the green "OK". I called it in, I offered to provide serial numbers, software versions, etc. so that they can just push the update but Tier 1 CS wouldn't take it, they have to follow their process. So now I can start playing phone tag with a case manager, I think this is followed by phone tag with the Telematics team. I don't have patience for phone tag, in 24 hours I guess I'll start looking into returning it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just verified under TCU Status my Phone Module is Ver 200.0.9800, part number is the same (39870THR A21), Latest update date is blank. IMEI is populated but as I suspected the MSISDN is all zeros. I ran the TCU Test in that menu and it failed but of course the other TCU button displays the green "OK". I called it in, I offered to provide serial numbers, software versions, etc. so that they can just push the update but Tier 1 CS wouldn't take it, they have to follow their process. So now I can start playing phone tag with a case manager, I think this is followed by phone tag with the Telematics team. I don't have patience for phone tag, in 24 hours I guess I'll start looking into returning it.
@brandin Did you call the HondaLink support 888-528-7876?

For TCU test, it failed in my car too. Some online doc mentioned that the TCU test is for MMS message, and another doc says HondaLink server communicates with vehicles over MMS messages.

My car does have the MSISDN populated. It could be that the number is assigned by AT&T when I called AT&T in-vehicle tech support. Somewhere I read that it may take up to 24 hours for AT&T to set up a car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@brandin Did you call the HondaLink support 888-528-7876?
Yes that's the number. Weird that your MSISDN is populated and it's still not working, when you press the AT&T Hotspot button do you get the "Service Not Supported" message or does it open normally? I read where some Pilot owners were experiencing this and there was a Power button in one of the corners of the screen that had to be pressed. I can't get far enough to see if that's applicable. myvehicle.att.com has been showing the phone number since I added it by VIN, I called that number but got a recording saying I wasn't accepting calls, so I'll try texting it later to see if it receives it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes that's the number. Weird that your MSISDN is populated and it's still not working, when you press the AT&T Hotspot button do you get the "Service Not Supported" message or does it open normally? I read where some Pilot owners were experiencing this and there was a Power button in one of the corners of the screen that had to be pressed. I can't get far enough to see if that's applicable. myvehicle.att.com has been showing the phone number since I added it by VIN, I called that number but got a recording saying I wasn't accepting calls, so I'll try texting it later to see if it receives it.
The AT&T Hotspot shows 'No Data Connection". The power button, as i guess, only turns on/off the in-vehicle hotspot. I also notice that on the TCU 'service log', all time entries are empty. On 'TEL Info', the signal strength is 0. The SID/PLMN-ID is 311480, which seems to indicate the TCU sees/saw a Verizon network.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The AT&T Hotspot shows 'No Data Connection". The power button, as i guess, only turns on/off the in-vehicle hotspot. I also notice that on the TCU 'service log', all time entries are empty. On 'TEL Info', the signal strength is 0. The SID/PLMN-ID is 311480, which seems to indicate the TCU sees/saw a Verizon network.
A couple things (apologies we have a 2019; AT&T hotspot does work - we use about 30GB/month of it - and did the software update right before the cutoff [it failed two times prior]).
1. Verizon is - I believe - the HondaLink telematics. AT&T Hotspot wouldn't see VZ networks - not impossible, but shouldn't be possible (i.e. my AT&T SIM card phone can't "see" Verizon since that would be considered domestic roaming)
2. Sorry if this sounds stupid - but do either of you have a 2018/19/20 model year Odyssey which you can compare side-by-side?
3. Often - very often, in fact - ours will actually show "no data connection" for a couple of minutes after van startup (not ACC but fully on). It can take up to 5+ minutes for it to establish a connection with AT&T. I've had temper tantrums over this in the past, especially after the 3G network shutoff.

But in summary, if I were either of you - and as a heavy user of this myself (my family), I would bring it to my dealer and have them fix it.
My belief is that it's related to the 3G network shut-off - that somehow the NEW cellular/hotspot modules don't have the correct firmware, and are experiencing the issues we were warned about if we didn't upgrade...

finally, @brandin - even calling my (properly operating) AT&T hotspot phone number - or my iPad phone number - will give that message. These are data-only phone numbers, which do not accept nor place 911 calls. *HOWEVER, we still get charged a 911 fee - which I've battled AT&T and the FCC about...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A couple things (apologies we have a 2019; AT&T hotspot does work - we use about 30GB/month of it - and did the software update right before the cutoff [it failed two times prior]).
1. Verizon is - I believe - the HondaLink telematics. AT&T Hotspot wouldn't see VZ networks - not impossible, but shouldn't be possible (i.e. my AT&T SIM card phone can't "see" Verizon since that would be considered domestic roaming)
2. Sorry if this sounds stupid - but do either of you have a 2018/19/20 model year Odyssey which you can compare side-by-side?
3. Often - very often, in fact - ours will actually show "no data connection" for a couple of minutes after van startup (not ACC but fully on). It can take up to 5+ minutes for it to establish a connection with AT&T. I've had temper tantrums over this in the past, especially after the 3G network shutoff.

But in summary, if I were either of you - and as a heavy user of this myself (my family), I would bring it to my dealer and have them fix it.
My belief is that it's related to the 3G network shut-off - that somehow the NEW cellular/hotspot modules don't have the correct firmware, and are experiencing the issues we were warned about if we didn't upgrade...

finally, @brandin - even calling my (properly operating) AT&T hotspot phone number - or my iPad phone number - will give that message. These are data-only phone numbers, which do not accept nor place 911 calls. *HOWEVER, we still get charged a 911 fee - which I've battled AT&T and the FCC about...
Checked the TCU diag again, and sometimes the SID/PLMN-ID is 310410, which belongs to AT&T. So it seems the TCU can receive signal, but can not connect to any cellular network. Waiting for HondaLink support. (I am afraid that a dealer is as clueless now, without specific instructions on what to check)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Checked the TCU diag again, and sometimes the SID/PLMN-ID is 310410, which belongs to AT&T. So it seems the TCU can receive signal, but can not connect to any cellular network. Waiting for HondaLink support. (I am afraid that a dealer is as clueless now, without specific instructions on what to check)
Dealer: fix it.
[behind the scenes let them figure out what's broken.]
This should have been activated/tested in PDI (pre-delivery inspection). Or by the factory - which, we all know, Honda Alabama is a bunch of lazy imbeciles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No I kind of wish I would have kept the 20 now though, I was the 2nd owner on that one and it worked fine right from the start. Sure I had to take it in twice for the popping, crackling issue but after they replaced everything including the head unit it was fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Waiting for HondaLink support.
Don't wait, just keep calling and entering your case number and selecting to be connected to your case manager.

I called 5 or 6 times in a row and the last two times instead of connecting me to my case manager's voice mail the system kicked me back to Tier 1 and I just asked to be connected to my case manager by name. They will put you on hold for a minute or two and check and see if they become available. The 2nd time after a bit of chit chat my case manager did free up and we ran through some routine tests and then I emailed them screenshots of what I'm seeing from normal menu selections and from within the Dealer Diagnostics menus.

My CM works from 6-2:30 PST so if you see this now and yours works the same hours you can probably reach them before the end of the day. Now I know that the issue is actually being worked so I'm as content as I can be and confident that it will be resolved hopefully by the middle of next week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dealer: fix it.
[behind the scenes let them figure out what's broken.]
This should have been activated/tested in PDI (pre-delivery inspection). Or by the factory - which, we all know, Honda Alabama is a bunch of lazy imbeciles.
I checked the manual, all they are required to do is switch it to Network and verify that WiFi networks are visible, they don't even have to connect to one. If they were required to setup your free trials for HondaLink and the Hotspot and the vehicle had these issues then they would catch it, some dealers probably do. My dealer is great, this is my second Odyssey from them, they've offered to make the appointment and have me bring it in, I'm hoping Honda Telematics can fix it remotely though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Don't wait, just keep calling and entering your case number and selecting to be connected to your case manager.

I called 5 or 6 times in a row and the last two times instead of connecting me to my case manager's voice mail the system kicked me back to Tier 1 and I just asked to be connected to my case manager by name. They will put you on hold for a minute or two and check and see if they become available. The 2nd time after a bit of chit chat my case manager did free up and we ran through some routine tests and then I emailed them screenshots of what I'm seeing from normal menu selections and from within the Dealer Diagnostics menus.

My CM works from 6-2:30 PST so if you see this now and yours works the same hours you can probably reach them before the end of the day. Now I know that the issue is actually being worked so I'm as content as I can be and confident that it will be resolved hopefully by the middle of next week.
I finally got a chance to talk to the CM. The CM opened a ticket.

·
Registered
2015 Touring Elite
34 Posts
I finally got a chance to talk to the CM. The CM opened a ticket.
Man reading this post makes me not want to get anything newer than 2017. This post reads more like a laptop/cellphone issue - Minus the car.
I am in my 40's so yeah I get it. However, reading this is just out of this world when you think about where this is really going.
Soon all cars if you can still call them that, will be serviced by dealers and whatever company controls the creature comforts in your vehicle unrelated to the dealer.
The independent shop will be cut out of the loop by red tape and warranty voidance if you think about having it serviced by anyone else.
just a prediction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wanting to jump in on this and see if any of you heard from the case manager. Just bought a 2023 Odyssey and I feel I made a mistake. Honda link and the ATT hotspot doenst work. Looking at the MSISDN is all zeros. I was able to have ATT add this to the connected car portal but car display still says service not available. Hotspots have been out for years and this should be an easy fix. I have read about the same issues in 2018's so why there is still this type of problem on 2023 is shocking.

·
Registered
443 Posts
following up on this.
So the 3G removal could have a play here, as I just heard from AT&T (blaming Honda, of course). That is, Honda didn't update the firmware or didn't sync with the network before updating firmware.
Second, logging into AT&T, ConnectedCar is now showing $40/month, instead of $20/month.
But if you go to the original support site, http://myconnectedcar.att.com/, it's dead.

So - for everyone here - just dump it and use your phone. It's slow (max out at 10-15Mbps), and overpriced.
Or doesn't work.

FAT&T

1 - 20 of 22 Posts