Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are back home after a wonderful trip through the Pacific Northwest and to Victoria. It was a twelve day trip with the following stops:
  • Day 1: Klamath Falls, OR
  • Day 2: Gleneden Beach OR
  • Day 3-6: Discovery Bay, WA
  • Day 7-9: Victoria, CA
  • Day 10: Depoe Bay, OR
  • Day 11: Klamath Falls, OR
I am a member of WorldMark, a timeshare, and stayed at WM's 2BR condos during my trip. I averaged about 7 hours of drive per day and it was great to check into a nice condo with all the amenities of home to be to able to have a good night's sleep.

My parents were also with us. They have spent quarter of a century in the US, but had no time to go on vacations because they were raising us kids. So I was thrilled to be able to take them with us to see parts of this beautiful contry and to go over the border to visit our neighbours to the North.

It was great to take the Ody on the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria. We all enjoyed the ferry ride!

We visited Port Townsend, Fort Worden, Hoh Rainforest, Hurricane Ridge (part of the Olympic National Forest), Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge and Port Angeles during our 3 days in Washington State. We watched the July 4th fireworks at Fort Worden with a few thousand locals. It was indeed a memorable experience.

In Victoria, we spent time walking through downtown, shopping and checking out the restaurants. We also toured the Parliament building and the Buchart gardens.

Our Ody was overdue for an oil change, so we had that done in downtown Victoria too. The service staff had some trouble figuring out how to reset the "Service Needed" warning, but they eventually figured it out.

Our Ody served its purpose. It ran smooth, and the Navi was mostly error free. Figuring out how to get to all our destinations was so incredibly easy. :nice:

The gas mileage was around 22. The wind noise was pronouned. Overall, a very happy experience.

Here are some pictures for you ;)

WM Depoe Bay resort's entrance

Glenden Beach resort at sunset

Entrance to the resort at Victoria, Canada

The lighthouse at Fort Worden, Port Townsend

Downtown Port Townsend

The courthouse in Port Townsend

Here is one of several buildings in downtown Port Townsend that shows the old Victorian architecture.

Another Victorian building in Port Townsend.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pictures::Buchart Gardens etc.

Butchart Gardens, Victoria

Buchart Gardens, Victoria

Kapish, Mrs Kapish and Kapish Jr :)

At the Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge

At the Dungeness Wildlife Refuge the group enjoying a laugh

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Victoria, the Garden City!

Victoria, "The Garden City", in Beautiful British Columbia!

Victoria, Fisherman's wharf, around the corner from the WM resort

Here is the group in front of the Parliament building in downtown Victoria.

The exterior of the Parliament building is decorated with lights at night.

The Empress Hotel, around the corner from the Parliament building.

There was a street fair near the harbor.

Victoria's Chinatown. This may not be as big as those in San Francisco etc., but it still is a pretty interesting place:)

Posing in front of one of the horse-driven carriages that take you on a tour around the city.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the Hoh Rainforest, near Forks WA

Hoh Rainforest

We loved our time at this serene park. We went along with a park ranger on a guided tour through the park and learned about the ecological wonders of this park.

Foliage at the Hoh Rainforest

Moss-covered tree

A phone booth near the visitor center at the Hoh Rainforest

Here is a stream that is used by the salmon.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ody at the Hurricane Ridge

I was unable to take many pictures of the Ody during our trip.

Here is one, taken at the Hurricane Ridge near Port Angeles

Another one... can you spot the Ody...?? :stupid:

Wild Flowers at the Hurricane Ridge

More wild flowers...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks Kapish. Nice pictures. Sounds like you had a great time.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.

Thanks. This trip was one of the reasons for us replacing the '00 EX with this Ody/R/N. As I mentioned earlier, the Navigation system helped us a lot. Fiddling around with maps and directions printed off various internet sites would have been very difficult. The navi helped us identify direct routes, way points for pit stops, nice/chain restaurants (that we are familiar with, so that we weren't walking into some unknown POS sort'a place), finding grocery stores, pharmacies etc.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Very nice pictures !

And yes, spotting the Ody was very easy. You've parked it far enough from the rest of the crowd and used 2 parking slots :)
:rolleyes:

Nice & happy family!

I remember taking my parents on their "first vacation in US", back in 1991, in my 1979 Olds Regency. That was the "family's first car ever in the history", and even though it was 12+ years old at the time, my parents still love it the most of all my cars :)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
BTW, how come no MrGrille yet on the car ???? You are taking the chances, you know... :)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Oh, and one more question... Seems that you've been climbing lots of hills with fully loaded car. Any problems with the breaks - noise, groans, etc, as many of us are experiencing ? What is the mileage on the car ?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alex! Great questions.

Hi Alex! Thanks :)
  • Talking about family and cars... We used to have a 1985 Ford LTD Wagon. We called it the "Pizza car" It had the two seats in the back luggage area where us kids always ended up when we go anywhere. Even now we talk about all the places we had gone in that car. 8 to 10 of us!! Yosemite, Sequoia etc. etc. We miss that car ...
  • 13,400 is the mileage! A little too much for a car I have only had for just 9 months.
  • Absolutely no problems with squeaking or breaks etc. when climbing. Drove like a dream.
  • Regarding spotting my car... I guess us Ody owners are a little "nutty" :stupid: At the Hoh Rainforest I parked next to a '05 Sage Brush Pearl EXL with Washington plates. (Didn't take pictures of the two SBPs side by side...) Never got aroud to see who drove it. When we returned from our hike, at the same spot sat a '00 EX!
  • McGrill: I know, I know... I took a chance on it when I went on this long trip without it. Now I am about to order it. Since I am not that mechanically inclined, I will order it, and when I get it I will have some body shop put it in.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Great pictures Kapish.

Looks like you and the family had a great time. I love the photo of Buchart Gardens.

Thanks for sharing with us.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those little cars in Victoria!

BTW, I saw a bunch of these in Victoria, and I don't think they will make an appearance in the USA because they are too small for our roads, and too dangerous with the maniac drivers...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Those are "Smart" cars - a crossover made by "Swatch" and "Mercedes". They are almost square if you look at them from the top, so they can be parked in either direction :)

Quite expensive, too !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kapish.

The thing I notice most in your pics are your families smiling faces. THAT is what it's all about. You are a lucky man.

Thank you for sharing.

There are a LOT of Smart cars here in Toronto.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Kapish,
How did the Navi work in Canada? Nice pix's by the way. We are all about road trips also.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Navi worked great in Vancouver Island!

Thanks Den and Rafael for your kind remarks. Yes, we indeed have a very good time on our trip. When we were driving we averaged about 7.5 hours of driving. The RES came in very handy a few times. I was glad Grandpa and Grandma were there to entertain our 9 year old :)

The Navi worked really well in and around Victoria. All the streets around town, including directions to Butchart Gardens and Sidney were right on the money!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts