Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 2015 Odyssey EX with the light grey interior and after lots of online research (including here at OdyClub), I bought a set of the ShearComfort NeoSupreme covers for the family hot rod. In all the research I did, I noticed that lots of people ask questions, but not so many post their results or pictures. I installed ours yesterday, so here we go...

1. First of all, this is not any kind of promotional thing. I paid the asking price for these things, I don`t know anyone at ShearComfort and they have no idea I`m posting my impressions.

2. We went with the silver-on-silver NeoSupreme material - it is an extremely good match for the OEM light grey interior. Anyone who passes by the van would could not tell that they are looking at seat covers unless they really know what the OEM material looks like. We like the OEM interior and therefore didn`t want it to be obvious that the van has seat covers, so we intentionally stayed away from the two-tone stuff (which to my eye at least looks cheap and kinda played out).

3. Installation is not a quick process if you`re going to do a good job. I ordered covers for the front two rows, but not the third. The whole job from top to bottom took nearly 3 hours (mainly because your have to work by feel under the seats a fair bit). Once I did the driver`s seat, the rest of them went much quicker.

4. The instructions are pretty decent. Having QR codes that link to YouTube videos was convenient when I was sitting the garage baffled. One thing that confused me was referring to the side airbag cutouts and flaps as `tags`. I was expecting to see small black tags like Honda has on the seats, and when I didn`t find them, I was momentarily confused. I did figure it out by myself though. :)

5. The second row is much easier to install than the front because you can tilt the seats upwards and give yourself more room to work. The front seats are tough because the power mechanism and wiring makes it a tight fit underneath the seat. Sliding the seats forward is VERY helpful.

6. The NeoSupreme material is very tough where it isn`t cut (ie away from the seams). This is where patience will pay off. If you pull hard, the seams will stretch or break - the rest of the fabric will be fine. In my experience, there is no need to pull hard. Firm pressure and patience is what is needed. If something goes on crooked, take it off and start over slowly; it`s safer than trying to twist or slide a piece when it`s partially installed because the fabric near the seams is not as strong as the rest of the cover.

7. In the second row, the top LATCH anchor (on the back of the seat) is slightly covered by the seat cover, but it`s still accessible. Interestingly enough, the middle one is cut out properly and the opening hemmed nicely.

8. The straps that tie the covers onto the seats have long pieces of slack. I just rolled these up under the seats and tied them each into a coil with a small zip tie.

We`re very pleased with the results we got. If you`d like to see more pictures, take a look in my album

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/members/albums/742841-cromath/seat-covers-10497.html

·
Registered
313 Posts
First, your seatcovers do look nice and very OEM. Second, I'm just wondering if the seat airbag will work as well with a seatcover over it. It probably will be fine, but just a concern of mine. When mine deployed, it ripped the stitching out of the side of the seat.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First, your seatcovers do look nice and very OEM. Second, I'm just wondering if the seat airbag will work as well with a seatcover over it. It probably will be fine, but just a concern of mine. When mine deployed, it ripped the stitching out of the side of the seat.
Thanks!

I feel confident that the side-impact airbag in the seat should deploy just fine. The trick here is that there is actually a huge hole in the side of the seat cover that the airbag would blow through if it were ever activated. The hole is nicely hemmed and disguised by a flap of fabric that is attached to the seat cover on the seat back side and simply tucks in between the seat and the cover on the other. You can see it in this picture:

If you look at the side of the front seat just near the power sliding door switch, there is a large C-shaped hem that shows the boundary of the hole for the airbag. It is quite subtle until you realize why it is there. So the airbag isn`t actually sealed in by the seat cover.

I fully expect that if that side-impact airbag ever had to go off, it would destroy the OEM seat upholstery and the seat cover with it. But if that airbag is going off, that is the least of your problems. ;-)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, price is pretty steep. It loos good though.
Agreed, they are not discount-store specials, that's for sure.

For us, the decision to go this way came down to a couple of factors - first, my wife didn't like the OEM leather or the price jump that it would have taken to get there, and I didn't want to diminish the van's "niceness" (for lack of a better term) with cheap-looking seat covers.

And I can also report after a couple days of driving with them, they feel pretty good to sit on as well. It doesn't feel much different than the OEM upholstery.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The only good thing about leather is its ability to not soak up spills (at least the Odyssey leather). I can't stand the fact if you drive without the AC on, in the summer, your back and thighs are sweaty. Cloth seats are much warmer in the winter as well.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
They do look nice.

Wouldn't be a bad idea if this thread got moved to DIY mods. It is pretty detailed.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They do look nice.

Wouldn't be a bad idea if this thread got moved to DIY mods. It is pretty detailed.
Agreed; this may be more appropriate to to the DIY section. Mods - please consider moving this thread over.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for all this information. I am looking for seat covers for the rear seats since I have 3 young kids and a dog. However, I live in Arizona and need material that won't get too hot. I am considering cloth seats, but want something to protect them a bit. Any recommendations for war weather seat covers?
Thanks,
RJ

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all this information. I am looking for seat covers for the rear seats since I have 3 young kids and a dog. However, I live in Arizona and need material that won't get too hot. I am considering cloth seats, but want something to protect them a bit. Any recommendations for war weather seat covers?
Thanks,
RJ
These NeoSupreme seat covers do not retain heat. I won't pretend that Calgary gets as hot as Arizona, but summertime temperatures here do spike into the 90s Fahrenheit. We have never had an instance where it was in any way uncomfortable to sit on the seats. These would probably be a good choice for you, especially if you choose a lighter colour like ours.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Great pictures! I bought a set of the ShearComforts as well. I liked the OEM seatcovers for the 2nd and 3rd rows (both my kids are in basketball so we are usually schlepping them and teammates around). I thought about going the cheap route and throwing on any discount-store covers but am so glad I went with the ShearComforts. I went with black to match the OEM ones I purchased. I found these much easier to install than the OEMs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts