Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever shift from D to D3 on a 2002 Ody when at highway speeds? Since the 2002 has 5 speeds, my concern is when shifting from "D" which is 5 all the way to D3 as you would in perhaps passing or driving in the mountains. Since D4 is missing, what do you do? Anyone who has tried this, does the vehicle lurch and the RPMs jump so high that it's not recommended to do this? Or does if feel more like a normal D4 to D3?

------------------
Never thought I could get so excited over a minivan!
'02 GG EX-L
'93 Acura Legend L

·
Registered
478 Posts
I indavertantly put the shift lever in D3 and got on the freeway to go home. This engine is so smooth, it took me a while to notice the RPMs at around 4k instead of 2k! So at anything approaching normal fwy. speeds, you won't over-rev the engine or hurt anything. You could certainly manually select D3 if you want, but as far as I can see, you cannot select D4 manually.
I have found the grade logic to work very well when climbing long grades, it downshifts like it's supposed to and then stays in the lower gear as you climb the hill without "hunting" back and forth! Excellent

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, Bug deflector, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
More stuff on the way...
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I find our 2002 to be responsive to throttle pressure when it comes to downshifts.

My varying how much pressure I apply to the throttle, I can "tell" it to shift to D4 or D3 for a pass. Once it downshifts, the amount of pressure on the throttle "tells" it how long to stay in that newly selected gear before upshifting.

Try it on the highway... let it get in 5th, then apply maybe 30% throttle and watch the tach. Then let it get in 5th again, and apply maybe 50% throttle. You'll be able to notice the difference between 4th and 3rd. I do this at 60mph and it works well.

When I did it around 50mph, 80%+ pressure selected 2nd gear, resulting in a major power downshift right into the 4500+ high VTEC rpm range.

Play around with talking to the transmission using the throttle. You'll be surprised at how well it listens.

------------------
2002 Mesa Beige EX-L-RES w/ misaligned, hard to close driver door

·
Registered
205 Posts
I drove my '02 EX-L 430 miles home from the dealer when I bought it, 90% of the journey was on the freeway. In order to try to vary the RPMs, I occasionally shifted down to D3 from D. Whenever I did this I was at about 70 mph, and the RPMs went from aroung 1,800 to 4,000 (3rd gear good for over 100 mph!). There was a very slight surge but that was it. I would keep it in D3 for 3 or 4 miles, then move back up to D. The only difficulty was my unfamiliarity with the shifter - I couldn't quite work out if I needed to pull the lever towards me when shifting down from D, or not. I was also able to confirm that the hill descent control works well - I went down a handful of long (3+ mile) grades, and the transmission duly shifted down to 4th gear, then back up to 5th when the road levelled off.

All-in-all, I have so far been very impressed with the smoothness of the transmission and it's ability to be in the right gear at the right time without hunting.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
83 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by odyodyody:
pearsonrj - how do the Weathertech mats match the Fern interior? Did you get the gray or the black? </font>
I'll jump in with my opinion on the mats(yeah, I know it's off topic). The fern matches the gray weathertechs very well. My wife and I put them in our 2002 TW EX and I was worried, but she's the boss and she says it looks great.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Actually I got the black mats, as judging from the pictures on the Internet, the gray mats looked to be a little lighter that the Fern interior. Also, the black mats won't show stains or dirt quite as much as the gray ones, and they provide something of a color contrast in an otherwise all-fern colored interior (other than the dash).

Just my thought process.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do the black mats have red on them? How about the gray, do they have any other color besides the gray. Can you tell I'm anal about things "matching". LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts