Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Odyessy.
About 6 months ago, started car after lunch break. It would not shift out of first gear. Stopped, put in neutral then into drive, then all shifting was normal. No issues for 4 months, then same problem, same solution. Now 8 months later, problem is occurring more frequently.
120000 mi. driven gently. trans fluid changed 10000 mi ago. Transmission filter and external cooler added at that time. At that time there were no issues.
I have noticed that downshifts do clunk slightly. Do not know when this started being noticed.

·
Registered
658 Posts
IN the "range" for transmission rebuild. Good time to start price shopping. Start with Dealer, then work down.
Ask, mechanics, and other odyssey (same year) owners who they recommend. Usually, they know who is
"good", and reasonable.

2001, 4th transmission. The re builder, was the cheapest, and was well known in my area. So, just because you pay more, does not necessarily, mean you get better quality. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,528 Posts
trans fluid changed 10000 mi ago.
Was the fluid fully replaced, or just drained and refilled with new (about 30% of the total)?

Regular ATF changes since new go a long way to extending the life of the transmission. The fluid should have been changed (i.e. single drain and fill) every 10,000 miles, more frequently than the factory 30,000 miles.

What is the color of the fluid now? It should be bright pink. How does it smell when warm? Sweet or burned?

·
Registered
13,860 Posts
Is there any evidence that the trans recall was done? There should be hose & pipe on top of the fill plug. I agree with everyone here, if that fluid change 10,000 miles ago was a normal drain & fill, then do another ASAP. Then another after at least a week of driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did a 3x fluid change 10,000 miles ago.. Fluid was bright pink, no burnt smell. Transmission filter was changed at the same time. Transmission recall was performed. I am thinking it could be a solenoid problem, since it happened very rarely at first. Now, which solenoid(s) would be the most likely?
Thanks for good questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts