Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This am, my 03 Ody would not come out of Park. The engine was running and I was stepping on the brake, just like normal. I finally used the spare key in the unlock slot on the steering column to get it to shift.
I then put it back in Park (engine still running and stepping on the brake) and it would not budge.
I again unlocked it manually and drove to the grocery store.
Where is the solenoid that controls this function and where is the sensor (switch) that controls this solenoid?
After coming out of the grocery store, the damn thing wouldn't shift out of Park.
I then stomped :stupid: on the brake pedal and then I could shift out of Park.
There must be a switch out of adjustment.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks,
Buffalo4

·
Super Moderator
13,875 Posts
Buffalo4 said:
There must be a switch out of adjustment.
Any ideas or suggestions?
How about a search on here?

Several threads on this. Problem is the brake light switch right behind the brake pedal.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried putting in shiftlock in the search box before I posted, but didn't get much.
How do you use the Search function in this forum to search for more than one word? If I, for example, put in "grinding noise in the front", I get hits on everything that contains any one of the words. :(
If I put in shiftlock problems, I get hits on anything containing shiftlock and problems.
Thanks,
Buffalo

·
Super Moderator
13,875 Posts
Buffalo4 said:
I tried putting in shiftlock in the search box before I posted, but didn't get much.
How do you use the Search function in this forum to search for more than one word? If I, for example, put in "grinding noise in the front", I get hits on everything that contains any one of the words. :(
If I put in shiftlock problems, I get hits on anything containing shiftlock and problems.
Thanks,
Buffalo
Separate the words by AND.

Search for brake and light and switch or shift and out and park for starters. :)

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure the 'and' makes a difference in the Search in this forum, but I will try it later.
I did find a different thread in this Forum that dealt with the problem. It seems that there is a brake switch that controls the cruise control and the shiftlock release and the brake lights.
I will now have to order one of these switches online or drive 60 miles one way to a Honda dealer, if that is indeed the problem.
Thanks,
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dvpatel said:
Separate the words by AND.

Search for brake and light and switch or shift and out and park for starters. :)
Try putting "shift and out and park" in the Search box yourself and see what you get?
Please post back with what you find. I found about 1000+ hits on it. What am I doing wrong?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Buffalo4 said:
Try putting "shift and out and park" in the Search box yourself and see what you get?
327 different threads...and in about 60 seconds I found these two:

Try this one for a possible solution Or you can try this thread.

Both these lead towards the brake light switch....which is a common issue.

Buffalo4 said:
Please post back with what you find. I found about 1000+ hits on it. What am I doing wrong?
Not sure...are you filtering it down to "show results as threads"....instead of showing every post?

·
Super Moderator
13,875 Posts
I also got the same 327 results and a very quick scan of the first page of the results yielded the same thread as buffalo4's question with a very good answer by OF.

I tried uploading the picture but at work big brother has disabled uploads.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered a switch from NAPA. It is just under $8.00.
Be nice if you could put your search terms in " " and just get hits on the enclosed words.
Thanks for all the advice.
Buffalo4
PS:I just wiggle the switch and it starts working. Could be the below freezing temps are causing it to stick.Will receive and install the new on on Wed or Thur.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts