Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my car into the Honda dealership after running over a curb yesterday and noticing a rattling noise. Now they say I need to replace both my back shocks because they are leaking shock fluid. Dealership wants just under $900 to replace both shocks with OEM shocks. My question to you all is this, is there anyway I can convince or argue that this should be covered under my 10 year Honda Care extended warranty? Please help!

·
Registered
10,773 Posts
the shocks are $99
Yeah DIY, or buy them online then bring them to your local garage for installation.

BTW @OP, what did the dealer say about the rattling noise?

·
Registered
214 Posts
My question to you all is this, is there anyway I can convince or argue that this should be covered under my 10 year Honda Care extended warranty? Please help!
Looks like @DJVAN and @digitalextremes recently replaced their shocks in this thread, , so maybe they could chime in when they log back on.

I don't think HondaCare/warranty would cover this since it's considered to be a "consumer expendable item" according to DJVAN in post #7 of that thread.

Seems like a fairly straightforward job, you'd just need access to a jack and a socket set; i'd highly recommend what davedrivesody and 94eg! said and either go the DIY route (you or someone that is mechanically enclined) or with an independent mechanic.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
@ShaunaPrice

The rear shocks are easy to replace. But before you do, verify by taken off the rear tire(s) and see if any oil has come out of them. Regretably your extended warranty will not cover the shocks (or struts on front end) as they are considered to be an consumer wearable item. The warranty covers things like the engine/transmission/electronics. The shocks would be like tires/wiper blades/any of your glass around the ODY including the mirrors. Sorry, there is no warranty that covers everything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I brought my car into the Honda dealership after running over a curb yesterday and noticing a rattling noise. Now they say I need to replace both my back shocks because they are leaking shock fluid. Dealership wants just under $900 to replace both shocks with OEM shocks. My question to you all is this, is there anyway I can convince or argue that this should be covered under my 10 year Honda Care extended warranty? Please help!
Hey @ShaunaPrice :

:rolleyes: You’re damn lucky you have a hubby who was able to convince them that this should be covered by Honda Care Extended Warranty.
Both shocks being replaced with new Honda OEM shocks + re-alignment = $0.00
That Honda Care Extended 10 Year / 120k mileage warranty is starting to pay off.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
@ShaunaPrice

I stand corrected on what is covered by the extended warranty. I had to locate my Honda Care Vehicle Service Contract and read through it to verify this information. My Service Contract book number: 1011NENV 1M-001 (printed on the inside of the book Page 1, bottom left of the page.) This for a 2018 Honda Odyssey.

Under II Coverage A. Parts CHASSIS: Suspension, Steering and Brake system.
Under IV WHAT IS NOT COVERED A: (I could not find the rear shocks in this section at all, neither is their anything about the front struts)

The rear shocks would fall under the Chassis-Suspension components.

Hopefully you kept your Honda Care Vehicle Service Contract and can compare if this is what it says.

If so, call them back-up and set a appointment to have them replace the rear shocks, especially since they would have given you a receipt for bringing it in, and then informing you the shocks were leaking oil and both would have to be replaced.

Let us know what they say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts