Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you get a factory repair manual for a decent price? Do you have to go to a dealer and order it at the parts counter?

Sorry if this is an old topic. I tried VERY diligently to search forums and came up with nothing.

2001 EX + Nav

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
The shop manual is published by Helms. There is an address to buy one in the back of the owner's manual. If you don't have a manual, then try googleing Helms manuals. (Helms alone will not get you there) The price is the price, although we have had some for sale on here from members selling their vans. You can also check out e-bay.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Unless you NEVER plan to do anything yourself to your car, don't fret about spending the $70-80 for the service manual. Its HUGE and covers every single thing in the car in minute detail. It shows how to pull apart pretty much anything in or on the car. The engine completely detailed, the interior lights, the safety equipment, the seats, lights, audio, etc. Very easy to follow step by step directions are included. I have used this a bunch of times and have definitely saved the cost of the manual several times over.
A must buy IF you pan to try some of these projects yourself!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Try E-Bay, there are a few on there right now for an 01 Odyssey. I bought a 2 volume set for my old Beretta through E-Bay for about $30.

I'm going to wait a couple years (until after warranty period) on my 06, hopefully by then I'll find some on E-Bay cheap.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm looking for a service manual for my new 2007 EX, and Helm has nothing.

I suppose that at this point I'm stuck with the dealer... $$$

Anyone else have any ideas on where do get one cheap?

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
They will. They publish the factory one. (You will note that they are the ones your owner's manual refers you to) There are some changes in the 07 (transmission) so the manual needs more than just a simple revision. There are manuals for the 05-06 vans on the Helms site. Relax and wait. You should not need one for a couple of years. All you are going to be doing for years is changing the oil and a filter or two.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just searched for the Odyssey factory service manuals on:
http://www.helminc.com/

and the 2007 edition is now available.

I have a 2006 Odyssey. Complicating matters in that my friend has a 2007 Odyssey because there are separate manuals available:

Part #: 61SHJ02EL, 2007 Odyssey Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (KA)
Part #: 61SHJ02, 2007 Odyssey Service Manual Volumes 1 and 2 (KA)

and / or:

Part #: 61SHJ01EL, 2005-2006 Odyssey Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (KA)
Part #: 61SHJ01, 2005-2006 Odyssey Service Manual (KA)

The above message says the transmission changed somewhat. Are there other known changes? How well will one year's manual apply for the other year's car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Free Online Repair Info, Wiring Diagrams, TSB/Recalls, etc. from your Public Library

I found something that doesn't pop up on the Odyclub forum search, but might be useful to someone besides me.

It's called "Automotive Repair Reference Center" (ARRC) and it is offered through public library websites on their online resource pages to patrons free of charge. Here is an example from my public library's site in Harford County, Maryland...

http://www.sailor.lib.md.us/cgi-bin/ebsco?DB=auto

For unlimited access, you only need a library card number.

This is what they advertise having...
EBSCO Publishing has partnered with Point 5 Technologies to create Auto Repair Reference Center. The step-by-step procedures are written specifically for the Do-It-Yourselfer, but comprehensive enough for professional technicians. Auto Repair Reference Center contains information on most major manufacturers of domestic and imported vehicles, with repair information for most vintage makes starting as far back as 1954. New repair procedures and updates will also be added continuously.

Content includes:
• Approximately 25,000 vehicles covered from 1954 to present
• More than 65,000 technical service bulletins & recalls issued by the original equipment vehicle manufacturer
• Wiring diagrams for easy viewing and printing
• Labor Time Guide & Estimator
• Specifications & maintenance schedules
• Quick Tips, a complete guide to vehicle ownership & maintenance
• Over 100,000 factory drawings and step-by-step photographs

Once in the ARRC you can download, save and print the content. Here is an example, this morning I needed an A/C wiring diagram for my '01 EX. A screen clip (.jpg) portion of the downloaded .pdf is attached. Visit your local public library website and dust off that card, it might be useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good call. I have seen the Library Site resource and played around with it a little. It seems a little cumbersome, but how can you argue with free?!! The info there looks good - thanks for sharing that.

jk

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Or you can have the Service Manual for 1999-2004 Odysseys compliments of "porschetr":

Here it is, everyone.

Enjoy

http://rapidshare.com/files/34474876/99-04_Odyssey.pdf

-Select "Free" if you don't have the RapidShare account.

-You'll see the timer. Wait till it hits 0 and screen changes.

-Type in the code when it appears in the middle of the screen

-Save the file

·
Registered
33 Posts
New Dad New Van said:
Or you can have the Service Manual for 1999-2004 Odysseys compliments of "porschetr":

Here it is, everyone.

Enjoy

http://rapidshare.com/files/34474876/99-04_Odyssey.pdf

-Select "Free" if you don't have the RapidShare account.

-You'll see the timer. Wait till it hits 0 and screen changes.

-Type in the code when it appears in the middle of the screen

-Save the file
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: Free Online Repair Info, Wiring Diagrams, TSB/Recalls, etc. from your Public Libr

daghirm said:
It's called "Automotive Repair Reference Center" (ARRC) and it is offered through public library websites on their online resource pages to patrons free of charge. Here is an example from my public library's site in Harford County, Maryland...

http://www.sailor.lib.md.us/cgi-bin/ebsco?DB=auto

For unlimited access, you only need a library card number.
Good find. Some of it looks good, some not so good. For instance, I couldn't find anything on changing the air filter for my 2008. (Couldn't find it for your 2001 either.) And the instructions to change the cabin filter were there but not nearly as detailed as Helm. For instance it just says "remove glove box door" without saying how. I also looked for the electrical diagrams. None available for my 2008. But for the 2001, the electrical diagrams are there!

·
Registered
4 Posts
from donlibes:
Good find. Some of it looks good, some not so good. For instance, I couldn't find...
You are absolutely right about the public library online ARRC. It's scope, level of detail and completeness are still sketchy. It's definitely not an exact copy of the service manual. But you have to admit that it's a tall order to provide that much information, i.e. every make/model/year/engine that's out there since 1954.

For older vehicles the coverage for Service Bulletins and specs isn't too bad (e.g. I just used it to find my dad's '97 F-150 spark plug gap and torque). I mainly use it when I do minor work on other people's cars who don't own a service manual.

I'm sorry ARRC didn't have your wiring diagrams and that the instructions leave out too much detail. Perhaps as more people use it, the quality will improve.

·
Registered
89 Posts
hexabob said:
Charging $80 for a book is a far worse crime...
Asking $40k for an '09 Navi is almost a crime too. Meet me at the dealer tonight and we'll steal a pair of them!

Considering the amount of time and effort it takes to create a work of this detail -- along with the low numbers published -- I doubt they do much better than break-even.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The link is dead. can someone please re-upload or send it to my email. Sorry for bringing this thread back, but I really need a service manual for my new '04.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts