Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
odysseydrifter, the link was removed to avoid possible action legal against this forum by the publisher. There's no way to tell if somebody getting the e-copy already purchased a paper copy.

You'll have to purchase the manual. I got mine from an online seller using an e-coupon. There are good deals out there.

donlibes said:
And illegal.
Not always illegal. I bought a paper Helms manual. So did a lot of people who now have the e-version as well. The .pdf file just enables us to keep grease, dirt and oil from soiling the pages of our hard copies.

Not losing sleep over it, either. If they want to engage in litigation against someone who has an e-copy of their own paper version, I'd say let them try.

OF

·
Registered
794 Posts
0dyfamily said:
odysseydrifter, the link was removed to avoid possible action legal against this forum by the publisher. There's no way to tell if somebody getting the e-copy already purchased a paper copy.

You'll have to purchase the manual. I got mine from an online seller using an e-coupon. There are good deals out there.

Not always illegal. I bought a paper Helms manual. So did a lot of people who now have the e-version as well. The .pdf file just enables us to keep grease, dirt and oil from soiling the pages of our hard copies.

Not losing sleep over it, either. If they want to engage in litigation against someone who has an e-copy of their own paper version, I'd say let them try.

OF
You are allowed to make a backup copy *from* your own book or in some other way that the publisher has authorized. But in this case, the publisher has not authorized the pdf sale so even though the outcome is the same (ending with a backup copy), you are breaking the law by downloading the manual whether or not you already own the physical copy.

As to sleeping well at night, I'd say you're asking for trouble by using a public website to explicitly invite them to try suing you.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
donlibes said:
...As to sleeping well at night, I'd say you're asking for trouble by using a public website to explicitly invite them to try suing you.
I doubt it.

OF

·
Registered
22 Posts
Electronic Copy of Helm Manual

Does anyone know if Helm will release the manual electronically or where I can obtain a copy legally? I have purchased the paper one, but basically do everything short of keeping it an a VAULT so that I don't damage the tissue-paper-thin pages when I open it to search for something. I find it hard to believe the manual doesn't exist electronically SOMEWHERE. I'd love to have a legit backup copy.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I got a '06 manual on ebay, used a bit but less than 40 bucks. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
ARRC and Chilton are both available on Army Knowledge Online (AKO) for those with acess. I'd assume other services have similar information available for members.

By the way, AKO also has small engine repair manuals and other DIY resources as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Manual on CD/DVD

I have found several sellers on ebay selling what they're calling the same service/repair manual used by the Tech's on CD or DVD. Anyone have one of these or know anything about them? Are they complete or are they just cheap replicas? They are not expensive at all. I may get one just to see what is on it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Using Bit Torrent ?

Any one know of a Torrent that specializes in car manuals ? No websites please. just proper names.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Re: Manual on CD/DVD

blakefan04 said:
I have found several sellers on ebay selling what they're calling the same service/repair manual used by the Tech's on CD or DVD. Anyone have one of these or know anything about them? Are they complete or are they just cheap replicas? They are not expensive at all. I may get one just to see what is on it.
I have one of these for a Sky. Its probably like mine a collection of PDF files, no index and very little text or trouble tree stuff. They do have lots of pictures, but its difficult to page through it IMHO. And while cheap its usually just bootlegged copies of Alldata, not the factory manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In regard to preserving the manual by finding an electronic version: I like to keep things "new" too, but I think you are over-doing it. We have a 2002 (notice that I'm writing 4/2/16) Accord we bought new, now at 240K+. I've done most of the repairs, including 2 timing belt changes. The book still looks new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
21 - 34 of 34 Posts