Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I am a recent convert from a long line of Oldsmobiles (R.I.P.), my 01 Civic EX in July being my first Honda experience. Since then, my family has grown again, so we need a larger vehicle to replace our quickly aging (and depreciating) Intrigue.

After realizing that an SUV is about as practical for me as a Corvette, the obvious choice was a van. And the obvious choice in vans was the Odyssey. And from what I've been reading, there are some great improvements for 02. And the specs and price are untouchable in the GM camp.

Anyway, let me get down to it. Is it still pretty common place to pay MSRP +doc fees? That's what my local dealer is saying, with a 2-4+ week wait, depending on what you're looking for.

The other question on my mind is, how hard is the RedRock Pearl to keep clean? It's a tossup for me between that and Starlight Silver, with Dark Emerald Blue running in 3rd.

Thanks for any input!

1 more thing, where is the ody assembled?

[This message has been edited by redly1 (edited 10-16-2001).]

·
Registered
56 Posts
In Southern California, one will be lucky to find a dealer that is willing to sell at MSRP. I've talked to 7 different dealers in 3 counties, and the best I could get was MSRP and three-week wait. I think the best price you can find is probably MSRP less $500 with some free accessories in KY. I finally got mine yesterday. Happy with my choice of RRP-EX. Since the van is new, I have no idea about the easiness of keeping it clean. BTW, Dark Emerald Blue is no longer available in 02.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In general, the price is should be close to MSRP + doc+ ttl for the odyssey.
GM vans do compare on real price not msrp. The msrp on gm, ford and chryslers have no meaning. GM is offering $1000 discount on 02' vans. Why not decrease the MSRP!!
On price/feature basis GM vans are slightly cheaper. Start comparing on basis of size (do u really want a bigger van) and reliablity history then Odyssey comes out on top. This is part of the reason why hondas have higher residual values. Residual values are calculated on MSRP.
Sienna may be could your choice if you do not want a van big van. Again MSRP has little meaning with Siennas. You may be able knock off $4000 off on high end models.

·
Registered
194 Posts
As far as keeping it clean - here is my perpsective:
I have a Heather-Mist (Champagne) Accord, and the RedRock Pearl van. Yes the Accord *looks* cleaner longer - and sometimes I can get away with just wiping the rims and spraying the tires and it will look detailed again! But...
It is not very staisfying washing it, so it is harder to get motivated to wash it. With the RRP - I know that from start to finish the difference will be huge, and I feel very rewarded when I see the gleaming red paint.
Does that make sense or am I just wierd?

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PD55:
Does that make sense or am I just wierd?</font>
It makes sense AND you're just weird. No need to distinguish.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, and now maybe coming on November 2!
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think you got answers to all but the place of assebmly. Currently, they're all made in Canada. Starting around the end of this calendar year, the new Alabama plant will be in full swing (or close to it).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had the RRP EX-L-RES for a little over a week now. I think the RRP is an awesome color and worth the extra effort as far as washing goes. I washed it for the first time yesterday and it took a good deal more effort in washing compared to our Accord that it replaced. I think the RRP is the best color in the 2002's.

I paid MSRP in Southern California and waited about 2 months for it to come in. After having this car for a few days I'd say it would be worth even paying more than MSRP, but don't pass that on to the dealers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About keeping it clean, my civic is Titanium. You could go months without a wash and not notice it. But, it would be nice to have some color. In addition to the civic, I have a silver intrigue, so it would be nice to get some color back into the stable.

I'm glad to hear about the Alabama plant. I love the quality and respect the engineering of Japanese autos (I work for GM), but it's always good to hear that Americans are being employed making what I am buying.

Plus, when my GM co-workers try to bust me for driving Hondas, I love to tell them that my foreign car (at least with the civic) is probably more american (US that is) than their domestic car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts