Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I switched my '99 to Mobil 1 at just under 2000 miles. I know, I know -- I'd wait if I had it to do over. Anyway, we don't put that many miles on the Ody and so twice a year appts at the dealer work good. But then my wife got sick and stopped driving for quite a while. So -- March 2001 was my last oil change at 2 years/17,400 miles. Now I'm coming up at the six month interval and ready for another oil change. Mileage: 18,700 miles! For warranty purposes, I guess I need to change the oil but gosh..... I suppose I'm probably an excellent candidate for dino oil instead of synth, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Maybe I will have the record for least mileage on a crankcase full of synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Maybe I will have the record for least mileage on a crankcase full of synthetic oil.</font>
Could be.

But just to kick this one in: my aunt bought, brand new, an 87 Civic. This replaced her 1970 Plymouth Scamp, which she got rid of because the power steering pump was leaking. (!)

She changed the oil religiously, every 3 months--because she was a very low mileage driver.

A few months ago, I had first dibs on buying the car from her when she quit driving. I had to pass it up, but I really didn't want to--because not only had it been garaged all its life, AND never driven in snow, it had....

<drum roll, please...>

....6000 miles on it.

Six thousand miles. On a 14 year old car. With oil changes every 3 months.

Do the math. That's an average of 107 miles per oil change. Realistically, it was far fewer than that in winter and more than that in summer.

But there you have it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! 31 year-old car with 6k!

Actually I had a 'situation' a few years back with the Ody's predecessor (a '94 Caravan). Like I do with the Ody, I bring my own oil and have the dealer do the change. So the service writer writes it up and I tell him to please use the Mobil 1 sitting up front in a case. An hour later, when I fetch my van, the oil is still there! They were good about it: drained the fresh dino oil out and stuck my Mobil 1 in. But that batch made it about 0.1 miles, I'd estimate!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Actually, I'd venture to say you're a pretty good candidate for synthetic. Dino begins to break down the minute it is put in an engine (and run, of course)... all oil does. Synthetic will break down less (over time) and thus last longer. In a car that sits alot, lasting longer is better. (At least that is what I was told in high school) Also, synthetic tends to "stick" to engine parts after operation. This means your sitting vehicle will have more oil protection on its parts than dino. The real damage to sitting cars is done on start-up after long periods. The oil is in the pan and not on the engine parts... then you turn the key and metal on metal for a few seconds. Add to that the fact that metal loves to oxidize (can you say, "rust?") if it doesn't have a nice coat of oil... cars were not made to sit.

Anyway, keep the synthetic going. It's cheap insurance, especially for low mileage and long change intervals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts