Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an EX-L RES on order. Do you think it's worth it to add on the backup sensors for $570 installed? I know there's already a backup camera, but I don't think this helps much with backing straight out of a parking lot spot, which is where I'm going to be doing most of my backing up (as opposed to parallel parking, which I do very little of where I live). This is the biggest car I will have ever had, so I don't have a good frame of reference. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have an EX-L RES on order. Do you think it's worth it to add on the backup sensors for $570 installed? I know there's already a backup camera, but I don't think this helps much with backing straight out of a parking lot spot, which is where I'm going to be doing most of my backing up (as opposed to parallel parking, which I do very little of where I live). This is the biggest car I will have ever had, so I don't have a good frame of reference. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
Welcome to the Odyclub bimmerboy. Its not generally a good idea to cross post your question in multiple forums of the same site. So, I have merged your two threads.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an EX-RES that does not have the backup sensor but I like the backup camera just fine. When backing up the monitor has the computer projected lines to help you to know how close you are to the object or vehicle behind. For me, I'd like to have the blind spot monitoring feature but I am now too broke for that.:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don't really see a need for a beeping noise when I can see the bumper line on the cam. Then again now that I've said that...*knocks on wood*

·
Registered
687 Posts
If you're going to get the rear sensors, you might as well get the front sensors too.

I find them very helpful in underground parking garages, residential garages and parking lots with narrow aisle widths.

;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I installed a kit I bought from ebay on my friends Odyssey for $30. It took about 1 hour to install. When you remove the bumpers, there are already marks in the back that show you where to drill. Then you just tap into ground and the backup light wire to power the unit (I think it was green and black). It's pretty easy to do and you should do it yourself when you have a few hours to spare.

I prefer to look back as much as I can when backing up so the audio beeps are more useful than the camera. Especially at night and there's no street lights, the backup camera display is not nearly as useful as the sensors.

·
Registered
632 Posts
You cant get front sensors as an add on accessory it is part of Touring package. I'd rather see it on the back up camera than listen to a beep at the back.

·
Registered
687 Posts
You cant get front sensors as an add on accessory it is part of Touring package. I'd rather see it on the back up camera than listen to a beep at the back.
Back-up camera not suitable in all situation such as low light. I'd rather hear the sensor beeping than my bumper scraping and crunching!

:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Honda USA MSRP for the back-up sensors is $400.

2011 Honda Odyssey - Accessory Detail - Official Honda Site

So they basically want $170 for installation and labor. Surprised no front sensors are available.
$170 is cheap IMO

Back-up camera not suitable in all situation such as low light. I'd rather hear the sensor beeping than my bumper scraping and crunching!

:rollingeyes:
I guess cebu 888 means the ability to also see the parking sensors information on the screen (i.e. orange/red lights), not just hear the beeps, like the video below. The accessory parking sensors do not seem to integrate that portion

(do not mind the marketing crap ;))

YouTube - Back Up Camera: 2011 Honda Odyssey Vs Toyota Sienna Vs Chrysler Town and Country

·
Registered
86 Posts
$570, is it the full OEM Honda System or is an aftermarket one? If it is the OEM, it sounds like a decent value, especially if the dealer installs and warranties it.

$30??? Is it a disposable system?
Only $30 and it comes pre-painted as well. If interested in the vendor I used, send me a PM. I've done about 7-8 installs from Acuras to pickup trucks for close friends and family members over the last 5 years using them and they work as flawlessly as the integrated units in my Touring and other luxury cars i've owned or driven.... Everyone I know who has BOTH cameras and sensors say they love the sensors since it allows them to look back rather than looking at the screen while backing up.

I think the original intent of the backup camera is to look at your screen initially before turning your head and backing up. The monitor screen should not be used exclusively for backing up. That's where the audio alert comes handy.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I, too, have an EX-L, and will be adding the backup sensors. At certain sun angles, you just can't see ANYTHING clearly in the backup camera. Plus, I back out of spaces by first looking at the camera, then turning my head to look rearwards throughout the movement rearwards. The backup sensors will help augment my situational awareness as I'm backing out and my head and eyes are looking out through the rear glass.

One concern is when I'm backing up in a crowded parking lot, first put the van in reverse, check the camera and see that it's all clear, turn my head and eyes to the rear and look out the back glass, start backing up. Somewhere between looking at the backup camera and then backing up, a kid could suddenly appear right behind my van. I didn't see him in the camera. I didn't see him when checking left and right as there are cars parked next to me. And definitely didn't see him as he was shorter than the back glass of the rear hatch. It only takes a split second. Even for those that keep their heads on a swivel and alternate between looking at the camera and looking out the back glass.

For me, this alone is reason enough to warrant the cost of the backup sensors. It's an additional level of safety that I'm willing to pay for. But, your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the helpful comments! The Odyssey in the video posted by BigBoat had audible beeping along with the camera. Is this only in a Touring? Or does the EX-L RES camera have this audible beeping as well? I didn't really pay attention to this when I saw the vehicle in person.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I think the original intent of the backup camera is to look at your screen initially before turning your head and backing up. The monitor screen should not be used exclusively for backing up. That's where the audio alert comes handy.
I think in summary they are great aides which complement driving skills, but do not substitute them

Thanks for all the helpful comments! The Odyssey in the video posted by BigBoat had audible beeping along with the camera. Is this only in a Touring? Or does the EX-L RES camera have this audible beeping as well? I didn't really pay attention to this when I saw the vehicle in person.
As per the accessories link posted by Gstom1, see below. I bet it does not have the camera visual integration, i.e. what happens if you own an LX or an EX?

Four sensors emit audible beeps into the cabin while you back-up, signaling objects as you approach them. Those beeps quicken as your vehicle gets closer to objects:
- Two center sensors give off a lower pitched "beep."
- Two corner sensors give off a higher pitched "beep."
On/off switch is mounted to the interior on the "D" pillar, to silence the system when you don't want to use it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You don't need the monitor to show you where the object is or which sensor is being activated. If you're parallel parking, it's obviously the sensor on that side you are parking is causing the beep.

Also, if your camera is dirty or it's raining hard, you can't see out of the camera since the rain drops screw up the visibility. This is where your parking sensors is most useful....

·
Registered
632 Posts
Then go ahead and buy it. You have all the reasons to justify that purchase.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My only issue with the Honda accessory backup sensors is that their range is very short - you have to be nearly on top of whatever is behind you before it starts to beep. It does work though and the installation looks factory installed.

Per the user manual (adapted as can't get their table to paste in here),

Sound
1. Slow intermittent beeps
2. Quick intermittent beeps
3. Continuous beep

Center Sensor Distance
1. Within 4.9 ft (150 cm)
2. Within 3.6 ft (110 cm)
3. Within 1.6 ft (50 cm)

Corner Sensor Distance
1. Within 2.0 ft (60 cm)
2. Within 1.3 ft (40 cm)
3. Within 0.8 ft (25 cm)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Backup Sensors EXL RES

I had them installed by Honda and glad I did. As a previous poster mentioned, at certain sun angles the camera isn't useful. I don't mind the beeping noise they make when I'm close to an obstruction, especially some of those elevated curbs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts