Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought a 2002 and 2005 new and currently own a used 2005 EX. Local Honda dealer has offered me a good trade on a 2009 EXL with high mileage that they have used to shuttle customers around city. Machine looks brand new and I have complete maintainance records. All maintainance done by dealer. I'm tempted but concerned with mileage.

·
Registered
157 Posts
the year means nothing to me......its the mileage......i personally wouldn't touch it - dealer serviced or not. my .02

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
I wouldn't purchase it either with that high a mileage unless its like $5K which I doubt it is.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've bought a 2002 and 2005 new and currently own a used 2005 EX. Local Honda dealer has offered me a good trade on a 2009 EXL with high mileage that they have used to shuttle customers around city. Machine looks brand new and I have complete maintainance records. All maintainance done by dealer. I'm tempted but concerned with mileage.
Question: since you live in Canada, want to make sure that you meant 120,000 miles, not 120,000 kilometers, which would then be 74,564 miles. If it was the latter, might be good deal, depending on the price. If is is the former, fugettaboutit!

·
Registered
404 Posts
And they're providing you with complimentary HondaCare for an additional 6 years, 100K miles, right? Great! Otherwise, pass on that tired ol' dog... :DD

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should have mentioned that my 2005 EX has comparable mileage, 190000kms to be exact with big gaps in its maintainance history. So to trade for the 2009, 4 years newer with complete records of dealer performed maintainance, is a little more palatable if the price is right

·
Registered
59 Posts
@robie I don't know why people are so scared of mileage on here. I had an 02 EX-L with 158,000miles on her(bought @ 100,000miles) and traded for an 06 Touring with 143,000 miles on it. I now have just shy of 160,000 miles with no issues. Mine was a 1-owner with all maintenance done at the very honda dealership I purchased her from. It has been a very good van, but my husband and I know our way around a car, so if anything did happen we know how to fix it. If you are comfortable with the idea that things may need to be replaced soon (brakes, shocks, timing belt etc) then I say go for it.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
As a rule, buy a 100K miles car/van ONLY if you know how to DIY.
Otherwise it is a money pit because it does not matter what car/van you own, after 100K miles, many issues come up:
- Timing Belt
- Water Pump
- Radiator
- Suspension
- Alternator
- Steering Rack
- Window Regulator

etc. etc.

Most items that go wrong after 100K miles are expensive.

I do 99% of my repair at home, so I am not afraid to buy a car/van with 100K miles, but if one is not handy, stay away from 100K vehicles.

·
Registered
193 Posts
This could be a great deal if the price is right. You get into a late model car at a low price. Many of the things that cause people to want to get out of car are related to age (exterior appearance ect..) and not miles so you could be very happy with this vehicle.

Timing belt service is close to due so have them do that and the spark plugs prior to purchase or calculate that into your offer price.

This is a really good way to go if you don't put a lot of miles on your vehicles and makes getting into a newer vehicle practical.

Shuttle service for a dealer is probably easier on the van than most "soccer mom" duty.

I wouldn't purchase it either with that high a mileage unless its like $5K which I doubt it is.
At the beginning of the summer I purchased a 2006 with 96k miles for around $16k. I then put in about a $1000 in work to make it what I wanted (Tow hitch and coolers, weather techs).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Regardless of maintenance history, a vehicle with 100,000 miles isn't as tight as one with 20K miles. I'd rather have an older model with fewer miles than a newer one with high miles.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Haha if you did no maintanence for 20k miles it wouldn't be very tight
No...since the suspension pieces on these vans are non-servicable, the only mainteannce to be done in the first 20K would be oil changes and maybe a trans fluid and PS fluid change.

If the oil hasn't been changed in 20K, that's a big no-no.

After 20K, tires may be a bit worn out out of balance.

It's everything else that makes a car feel "tight": Suspension bushing, ball joints, shocks, mounts....

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had my 02 up until 158k miles and only ever had to change 2 shocks. That's with autocrossing the van. The suspension is very good on these vans. You must be used to domestics. Miles aren't everything you know. What I'm saying is you can buy an abused van with 20k miles that will give you more trouble than one with 120k miles that has been maintained. So your saying that van a with 20k miles that has never been serviced, neutral bombed, and for fun lets say rallycrossed is better than my 2006 with around 160k miles that have been mostly highway with full maintenance records. My whole point is that you saying a 20k mile van is tighter than one with 100k miles is false, there are a million other factors to a condition of a vehicle other than miles.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I never would......I would never keep a car for that many miles....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts